Re: Too early for an evening thread?

• Congrats Chels!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • chelseamb11chelseamb11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited April 2012
    Thanks Chrissy :) ETA And Petal
    I was told the other day about her power stripping, which makes sense since she's been kinda a hermit the past couple weeks.  I feel so badly for her though, her life is crumbling around her.  Her marriage is falling apart, her school is hanging by a thread, and her mom is on her deathbed.  As much of a bitch as she is, I still feel so bad for her right now with everything she's got going ong.
  • Congrats, Chels!

Edie, I hope you're feeling okay. 

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Edie did you get the stuff straightened out with your rental?
  • Considering your car was a 1997 model (I think) that's a pretty sweet deal.  I am ready for a new car myself but I can't afford the payments for a car and my student loans on my current salary.  It's the second thing on my to-do list once I get a FT job though.
  • I'm on my way to the hibachi place. I had to turn down the free fish and fries that came with my car wash so I have plenty of room for rice.
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • chelseamb11chelseamb11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_too-early-for-an-evening-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:94e336d3-1636-49a3-86d2-4bc70732cb43Post:d092a382-7b5b-4389-93bc-65c214e64637">Re: Too early for an evening thread?</a>:
    [QUOTE]For the rental I'd need the insurance info of the other driver which is in the police report (I didn't think to write it down for myself) and I don't know how long that would take.  My dad is going to lend me his car and then we will probably go car shopping next weekend.  I know I'm getting $4200 from the other insurance company which blows my mind because we only paid around $7000 for it. The car was totaled.
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]

Your car was a 95 right?  That's an amazing deal. If you had sold it as-is, you NEVER woulda gotten $4200 for it. It just sucks you had to go through all that pain and stress for it
  • I'm finalllllly home from work! My sister is of course monopolizing the shower (she stays in there for literally like 45 minutes) so I will relax a little before I shower and head over to FI's.

Edie, what cars are you looking at?
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_too-early-for-an-evening-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:94e336d3-1636-49a3-86d2-4bc70732cb43Post:66906051-62ef-4a40-bb31-13a93a8ccf5e">Re:Too early for an evening thread?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm on my way to the hibachi place. I had to turn down the free fish and fries that came with my car wash so I have plenty of room for rice.
    Posted by adamar15[/QUOTE]

Oooh I love hibachi! Have fun!
  • congrat chels.

edie - sorry about your car.  That sucks.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Edie, insurance companies go off of what you would get for it if you sold it to a private seller (or craigslist). They don't go by KBB anymore. I was pleasantly surprised when I got a fat check for my old SUV, I got almost what I paid into it at a dealership. Hope everything else is okay and you're not hurt! One of our insureds just left here, I filed their claim... it sounded like a nasty accident but thank God no major injuries.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_too-early-for-an-evening-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:94e336d3-1636-49a3-86d2-4bc70732cb43Post:66906051-62ef-4a40-bb31-13a93a8ccf5e">Re:Too early for an evening thread?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm on my way to the hibachi place. I had to turn down the <strong>free fish and fries that came with my car wash </strong>so I have plenty of room for rice.
    Posted by adamar15[/QUOTE]

That's unusual. Sometimes I get a coupon for new wiper blades, but that's about it.
  • It's in the parking lot of a soul food place. I'm definitely getting it next tome.

• Fish & fries with a car wash?  Dang.  Our car washes are so boring. 
  • edited April 2012
    They look at what car you had, and based off the pieces that aren't totalled, see if you took good care of it (tires, interior, dents, overall look) and then look at three comparable cars on CL and go for the average. If you had anything after market, they give you depreciated cost on top of it.
  • Yeah, it's a pretty sweet deal. It's 15 for him to wash and vacuum it, and he did a damn good job.

• Poll - beer or wine? 

I have both

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Definitely wine.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_too-early-for-an-evening-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:94e336d3-1636-49a3-86d2-4bc70732cb43Post:83fafb39-b64c-488e-aada-0450b08fa2ef">Re: Too early for an evening thread?</a>:
    [QUOTE]They look at what car you had, and based off the pieces that aren't totalled, see if you took good care of it (tires, interior, dents, overall look) and then look at three comparable cars on CL and go for the average. If you had anything after market, they give you depreciated cost on top of it.
    Posted by brittneyh4[/QUOTE]

So does this mean I should get the dent in the side of my car fixed if I want to sell it instead of trying to trade it in?
  • I vote beer, because that's what I'm probably having. I have yet to find good wine at hibachi places.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_too-early-for-an-evening-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:94e336d3-1636-49a3-86d2-4bc70732cb43Post:b4ddf013-0717-4762-b031-a3a5a5b95686">Re: Too early for an evening thread?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Too early for an evening thread? : So does this mean I should get the dent in the side of my car fixed if I want to sell it instead of trying to trade it in?
    Posted by strlzfan11[/QUOTE]

I didn't get my back bumper fixed after I was rear ended and when I went to trade it in, they just subtracted the cost of the damage so it evened out. I also had the money from the lady's insurance company for the bumper, but I didn't see a point in fixing it if it was just going to even out anyway.
  • What kind of beer? 

But usually I vote wine.

• Wine for sure. I'm drinking moscato. Mmmmmmm.
  • I'm pretty excited to open my Cupcake riesling a little later. I really like Cupcake wines, but I haven't had the riesling yet.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_too-early-for-an-evening-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:94e336d3-1636-49a3-86d2-4bc70732cb43Post:7e818064-2fd9-4dea-9109-f53af097d39a">Re: Too early for an evening thread?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Too early for an evening thread? : I didn't get my back bumper fixed after I was rear ended and when I went to trade it in, they just subtracted the cost of the damage so it evened out. I also had the money from the lady's insurance company for the bumper, but I didn't see a point in fixing it if it was just going to even out anyway.
    Posted by angelstar975[/QUOTE]

I never did figure out who the asshole was that put the dent in my car.  One of my neighbors (or of their visitors) wasn't paying attention when they backed out of the parking spot next to me and put a nice big dent in the driver's side of my car.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_too-early-for-an-evening-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:94e336d3-1636-49a3-86d2-4bc70732cb43Post:be4a103f-b0b6-4dbd-8dd1-b3b7f67a5eae">Re: Too early for an evening thread?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm pretty excited to open my Cupcake riesling a little later. I really like Cupcake wines, but I haven't had the riesling yet.
    Posted by angelstar975[/QUOTE]

Um woah... tell me more about this please
  • Cupcake is the brand name and they make pretty good wines.. Apparently they make a "Red Velvet' wine, but I've never had that one, since I only drink whites. Their sauvignon blanc is good, so I have high hopes for the riesling!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_too-early-for-an-evening-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:94e336d3-1636-49a3-86d2-4bc70732cb43Post:69c1834d-e5f9-40e8-ba23-1ef1b857f64f">Re: Too early for an evening thread?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Too early for an evening thread? : I never did figure out who the asshole was that put the dent in my car.  One of my neighbors (or of their visitors) wasn't paying attention when they backed out of the parking spot next to me and put a nice big dent in the driver's side of my car.
    Posted by strlzfan11[/QUOTE]

Dishonesty like this pisses me off to no end.  I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I did that to someone.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards