Louisiana-Baton Rouge

December wedding 2010

Hi everyone -
I'm planning a December wedding and need some good advice as to the "to dos" and "dont's" for planning a december wedding. I have a lot of ppl that say don't ever consider the weather for your wedding day, but I REALLY dont want people to shiver miserably on December 11th in an outdoor ceremony.  But, like a lot of brides on here, I want an outdoor, plantationy feel.  I have considered portable heaters, just don't know if it will all work.  Feeling overwhelmed and confused.. haven't yet found a venue and NEWLY engaged....
: 0

Missy

Re: December wedding 2010

• hwilli8hwilli8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to an outdoor wedding last January and it was fine.  It got a little cold waiting on it to start and during the ceremony, but your guests will dress appropriately.  Besides, usually an outdoor ceremony only lasts 30 minutes or so and then you can have the reception indoors.  It was a VERY pretty wedding outside at night in winter.  I say go with what you love!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • hwilli8hwilli8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

And this is South Louisiana - it could easily be 80 degrees that day in December! :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • SE+MBSE+MB member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are you having the reception indoors? I would definitely have the reception indoors. I am a very cold-natured person so I could never have my wedding outdoors in December. It is South LA though! You never know what the temperature will be like. I don't really have a list of Do's and Don'ts but I really recommend looking around at venues and deciding if an outdoors December wedding is really what you want. You probably won't be wearing a long sleeve dress, so you will be much colder than your guests. You don't want to shiver the entire time.

It's your day and do what you want. If you want to have an outdoors wedding then go for it!
  • Cherry0109Cherry0109 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

You always want to be careful- I got married this January and 10 days before the wedding the weather forcast was showing sunny and 55 degrees- Perfect! Well the actual high temp on my wedding day was about 30 degrees... I got married the coldest day in BR in 16 years!

• edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone for the ideas--
    I'm now changing the date to Mar 5th.. and thinking of all indoors-- just to play it safe!  Still trying to find a venue in my budget. LORD, help me!  The Wolff House Ballroom in Washington, LA was SOOO nice-- we went take a look last weekend.  LOVE IT!!! Such a cute, sleepy, B&B town. 
  • lorilea25lorilea25 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I recently booked The Gatehouse off of Harrell's Ferry Rd for my December wedding. Wanting to have the ceremony and reception at the same venue, I was apprehensive that the ceremony would take place outdoors.  This Louisiana weather, it could very well be 80 degrees or snowing.

Surprisingly, they have multiple heaters that attach to the ceiling for the ceremony area. That sealed the deal for me!
  • edited December 2011
    I also booked the Gatehouse. The patio/gazebo area is covered and well-lit. They have heaters for winter and air conditioners for summer. If you're having a relatively small guest list (around 100 or less) you should definitely check it out! They include a LOT in their per-person price.
    Anniversary
  • ashleyhurt86ashleyhurt86 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would consider at least some outdoor heaters for the ceremony though. yes it will be short but people still get cold...my friend married in october the ceremony was fine but by the time we got to the reception location which was outdoors it was quite cold but the heaters helped a lot and we all had a good time.

you never can tell with this crazy LA weather....I mean it snowed and the Saints won the Superbowl in the same week....this is a crazy year lol!
  • edited December 2011
    I am booking my wedding at The Gatehouse tomorrow and I am so excited to see all the great comments !
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards