Connecticut
Options

**Holiday HUMP!!**

1. Favorite Holiday Cookie/Dessert?
2. Favorite Holiday Song?
3. Favorite Holiday Meal?
4. Who do you celebrate the Holidays with?
5. What do you normally do for NYE?
~Miss.~
~Mrs.~
**Password: kls114**
Photobucket
Anniversary

Re: **Holiday HUMP!!**

• Options
    edited December 2011
    1. Favorite Holiday Cookie/Dessert? Apple pie. But only my mother's.
    2. Favorite Holiday Song? Oh Holy Night
    3. Favorite Holiday Meal? Turkey and mashed potatoes
    4. Who do you celebrate the Holidays with? FI, my dad's side of the family, both sides of FI's family
    5. What do you normally do for NYE? we do something different every year
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    1. Favorite Holiday Cookie/Dessert? Peppermint bark!
    2. Favorite Holiday Song? Joy to the World
    Chinese hotpot (火锅). We make it at home on the hot plate by boiling a feast of meats and veggies in the broth,  then we dip the goods in sauces made with vinegar, hot chillies, peanut butter, cilantro, chopped garlic...
    4. Who do you celebrate the Holidays with? My HUSBAND, woot! SIL also lives in town, so we will get to see her this year.
    It varies from year to year.  SIL (aka "party central" in our circle) just emailed about a party at her apartment on NYE night.  We're apparently inviting a local chef to prepare a spread of traditional Chinese dishes and to teach us how to make them as he works! She comes up with the craziest ideas for parties.
  • Options
    kls114kls114 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_holiday-hump?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:12f34181-8fd5-42ad-a58b-69dd12324e76Post:9947d9a6-1f7e-4c27-b8a9-ac0ea7f66268">Re: **Holiday HUMP!!**</a>:
    [QUOTE]1. Favorite Holiday Cookie/Dessert? Peppermint bark! 2. Favorite Holiday Song? Joy to the World 3. Favorite Holiday Meal? Chinese hotpot (火锅). We make it at home on the hot plate by boiling a feast of meats and veggies in the broth,  then we dip the goods in sauces made with vinegar, hot chillies, peanut butter, cilantro, chopped garlic... 4. Who do you celebrate the Holidays with? My HUSBAND, woot! SIL also lives in town, so we will get to see her this year. 5. What do you normally do for NYE? It varies from year to year.  SIL (aka "party central" in our circle) just emailed about a party at her apartment on NYE night.  <strong>We're apparently inviting a local chef to prepare a spread of traditional Chinese dishes and to teach us how to make them as he works! She comes up with the craziest ideas for parties.
    </strong>Posted by Soon2BeMrsTing[/QUOTE]

Awesome!!!!
    ~Miss.~
    ~Mrs.~
    **Password: kls114**
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_holiday-hump?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:12f34181-8fd5-42ad-a58b-69dd12324e76Post:9947d9a6-1f7e-4c27-b8a9-ac0ea7f66268">Re: **Holiday HUMP!!**</a>:
    [QUOTE]1. Favorite Holiday Cookie/Dessert? Peppermint bark! 2. Favorite Holiday Song? Joy to the World 3. <strong>Favorite Holiday Meal? Chinese hotpot (火锅). </strong>We make it at home on the hot plate by boiling a feast of meats and veggies in the broth,  then we dip the goods in sauces made with vinegar, hot chillies, peanut butter, cilantro, chopped garlic... 
    Posted by Soon2BeMrsTing[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>That's one of my fav too! It's something I look forward to when the weather gets cold. 
    <div>

</div></div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Christikao- I've had hotpot three times in the last two weeks.  Twice at home ( well, at someone's home) and once at a restaurant that gives manicures while you wait to be served and has servers who breakdance while they pull the 拉面noodles.  So much fun.

BTW, if you don't mind my asking, is your family Chinese?  I'm not at all, but DH's family is Taiwanese. We all fly to Taiwan Jan. 28th-Feb. 5th for Chinese New Year.  It'll be my first time.  I can't wait for the food!

*sheepish look* for threadjacking....

EDIT: Kim- that's one of the greatest advantages to living in China.  The labor here is so cheap.  We hire people all the time to do/make things for us.  My new winter coat was fashioned by a tailor who makes house calls.  I showed him a pic of a coat Banana Republic has in stock now, and he copied it and brought it to my door two weeks later.  The "aunties" who clean houses can be hired out to cook for house parties.  We do it all the time.  It's so easy because we tell them what ingredients to buy, pay $2 or $3/person for the food and voila! Our event is catered dirt cheap!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_holiday-hump?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:12f34181-8fd5-42ad-a58b-69dd12324e76Post:48f79763-0fb9-48e3-8601-3b5f6f4c5db2">Re: **Holiday HUMP!!**</a>:
    [QUOTE]Christikao- I've had hotpot three times in the last two weeks.  Twice at home ( well, at someone's home) and once at a restaurant that gives manicures while you wait to be served and has servers who breakdance while they pull the 拉面noodles.  So much fun. BTW, if you don't mind my asking, is your family Chinese?  I'm not at all, but DH's family is Taiwanese. We all fly to Taiwan Jan. 28th-Feb. 5th for Chinese New Year.  It'll be my first time.  I can't wait for the food! *sheepish look* for threadjacking....
    Posted by Soon2BeMrsTing[/QUOTE]
    <div>
    </div><div>OMG where is that restaurant? That's awesome!</div><div>
    </div><div>I'm Taiwanese also! There's really not that many here. I bet if your DH's family is from New Haven area my family probably knows him. The last time I was there was almost 3 years ago, I want to bring DH there to meet the rest of my family plus he's never been to Asia. So jealous you're going there for Chinese New Year, you are going to have a blast! </div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Awww, yeah, Taiwan!

DH's family is not from New Haven, although we did get married there because I'm from north of New Haven.  DH was born in Taipei and immigrated to the U.S. when he was two.  He grew up in upstate New York.  I think that's how he came to marry a whitey like me :)

The hotpot restaurant is called 海底捞 and it's in the Putuo District of Shanghai.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    1. Favorite Holiday Cookie/Dessert? I love them all!!
    2. Favorite Holiday Song? Winter Wonderland.
    3. Favorite Holiday Meal?  The Taiwanese/America Christmas dinner at my family's and also the Filet Mignon and lobster tail at IL's. No wonder I usually gain about 5 lbs between Thanksgiving and Christmas!
    4. Who do you celebrate the Holidays with? DH's family and my family. 
    5. What do you normally do for NYE? Normally we go to Mohegan Sun but this year I kind of want to do something low key. I'm kind of partied out after all the wedding/holiday festivities. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_holiday-hump?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:12f34181-8fd5-42ad-a58b-69dd12324e76Post:8496f5ea-c3b9-4237-a773-ea94b0c7c043">Re: **Holiday HUMP!!**</a>:
    [QUOTE]Awww, yeah, Taiwan! DH's family is not from New Haven, although we did get married there because I'm from north of New Haven.  DH was born in Taipei and immigrated to the U.S. when he was two.  He grew up in upstate New York.  I think that's how he came to marry a whitey like me :) The hotpot restaurant is called 海底捞 and it's in the Putuo District of Shanghai.
    Posted by Soon2BeMrsTing[/QUOTE]

<div> I'll have to remember that restaurant. We're thinking of going back maybe next year and we're definitely going to Taiwan/China/Japan. It's so great that you are so open to our culture! DH is white also but he's super picky about any ethic foods, he's the typical meat/potato guy. </div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    1. Favorite Holiday Cookie/Dessert?
    Grandma's cream puffs!!!  Mmm

Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting...)...or all the spoof songs lol

The ham, Nan's stuffed mushrooms

Christmas Eve we do the traditional Italian "Fish" dinner at FI's aunt's house.  Christmas morning we do breakfast and presents at FIL's house to watch FSIL (youngster) open presents.  Then we do Christmas Day dinner at FI's gramma's house

That is an excellent question, because for the past 2 years I've worked NYE overnight at my job.  This year I'm not at that job anymore, so it will be the first year since FI and I got back together/moved in together that we will be celebrating together :)
    "I don't know how it gets better than this. You take my hand and lead me head first - Fearless"
    Anniversary

Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    herb0622herb0622 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    . Favorite Holiday Cookie/Dessert?
    Cookie= Magic Square Bars or Snickerdoodle
    Dessert- Grasshopper Pie

Ooo that's a tough one. I guess my fave 3 would be All I Want for Christmas is You, I Wish Everyday Could be Like Christmas, or Hark the Herald Angels

We do the traditional Italian Christmas, so gram's lasagna

Christmas eve is always my house. For Christmas, we go to dinner at my house around 1 and then head to FI's mother's around 4.

We usually have a party at my parents house.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    1. Favorite Holiday Cookie/Dessert? Cookie- Earthquake cookies, and dessert- LOG!

2. Favorite Holiday Song? Last Christmas (fav rendition by Jimmy Eat World)

3. Favorite Holiday Meal? Baked Stuffed Shrimp on Christmas Eve ("Italian" tradition in my family, we don't eat all the crazy fish dishes, so this is our tribute to that)

4. Who do you celebrate the Holidays with? My family and FI

5. What do you normally do for NYE? Every year we say we'll do something "cool" and evvvvery year we end up at my parents with my whole family lol. We have such a great time- and you don't have to worry about being out and about and driving anywhere.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    lynde129lynde129 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1. Favorite Holiday Cookie/Dessert? my mom's cheesecake, and my MIL chocolate mousse, and my oatmeal butterscotch raisin cookies

2. Favorite Holiday Song? All I want for Christmas is you- Mariah Carey

3. Favorite Holiday Meal? my dad's lasagna

4. Who do you celebrate the Holidays with? This is the first married christmas and it used to be Dad's side on xmas eve, and moms side on xmas with "now" DH.  Our new tradition will be xmas eve with my family (since that is the day all my  half-siblings are at my parents house) and Christmas day with DH family

5. What do you normally do for NYE? I normally work my PT job being the closing supervisor and then go to DH family for food, and then spend the ball dropping with just DH if we are not already sleeping (I am just like my parents who dont even bother to stay awake haha)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards