Getting in Shape

OUCH! Muscle cramp!!

I woke up at 4 this morning with my right calf completely cramped. This was serious pain. I could have thrown up from it. (the only reason I didn't was because I HATE to throw up so I used all my will power not to let myself). It's still a little cramped and very painful to the touch. WHAT HAPPENED? I've never had this before. Every once in a while I will get a cramp in my calf but never to this extend - I would say maybe 2 times a year.

I'm a fairly active person. I usually walk 45-60 minutes in the morning, I spend about half my day at work on my feet moving around and after work I usually ride my horse. I eat healthy. Lots of fruits and veggies. Working on up-ing my protein intake. I almost always eat a banana - I did yesterday. I know potassium helps with muscle cramps. I drink plenty of water so I can't imagine I was dehydrated last night.

Anyone have any ideas about how I can help prevent this from happening again?! I could barely walk this morning and hardly slept after the pain woke me.

The only thing I did yesterday that was out of my norm was I had two 8 x 10 rugs delivered. My fiance wasn't home so I dragged them into the house on my own - I'm sure my neighbors got a good kick out of watching me do that! I did work up a little sweat doing that but they weren't heavy, just very awkward. Maybe I moved the wrong way when I was going that?

Serious sad face going on over here =(!
Married & TTC #1 since 8/28/10 BFP #1 10/25/10 - EDD 7/5/11 -M/C 11/10/10 BFP #2 12/16/10 - EDD 8/26/11 - BORN 8/10/11 Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: OUCH! Muscle cramp!!

• I get severe calf cramps sometimes while I'm sleeping - the kind that wake you up and make you curl up in a ball and cry.  I have found that what you're already doing helps - potassium and plenty of water.  Are you stretching thoroughly after exercise?  If I spin or ride my bike and don't stretch the calves afterwards I get the cramps more often.  Sounds like it was related to your rug-moving and will be temporary.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • I have muscle cramps all the time if I don't take an iron suppliment & I average at least 60g of (lean) protein every day. If adding protein doesn't help & it becomes a constant issue, definitely talk to your doctor to see if you have something like iron-deficiency anemia.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • greenglass - I take a multi vitamin daily with 100% iron. I would say I am about 40-50 gram protein daily. I'm trying to up that a little bit right now. It's hard though because I'm not a huge meat eater (one reason I always take my vitamin)

LesPaul - Ok I am guilty of not stretching after I exercise.... I hardly ever, only when I notice my muscles are tense. I will add that to my list of fitness goals. My morning walk has a ton of hills and I walk very briskly, I could use some stretching for sure.

Thanks ladies... I'm feeling very sorry of myself and I'm limping around the office right now. At least my boss is a marathon running so he understands my pain. He told me I can go to his house and stick my legs in his pool if I want. LOL
    Married & TTC #1 since 8/28/10 BFP #1 10/25/10 - EDD 7/5/11 -M/C 11/10/10 BFP #2 12/16/10 - EDD 8/26/11 - BORN 8/10/11 Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've woken up with calf cramps before.  I also got them while swimming.  Water definitely helps.

What helped me to get through the cramp was the stretch it out.  It seems like the worst thing in the world to do when it hurts like that, but I'd hold my toes with my hands and press my heel downwards to stretch out the calf muscle.  This doesn't uncramp it, but the pain is considerably less in the stretched out position until the cramp does subside

I'm sorry - they are no fun.
  • Oh yeah, stretching for sure! I sort of forgot about that bc I'm actually pretty good about doing it; it feels so good! Hopefully this is just a once in a while deal, and if you're not really into meat, definitely go for the beans, legumes & lots of dark colored veggies that are iron (and nutrients, in general) rich!
    GL!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would go get your Vitamin D level checked. I was having some strange headaches and muscle cramps. My doctor suggested I get tested for  Vit D deficiancy and when I had it checked, my level was really low.

I've been taking Vit D perscribed by the doctor once a week, plus 1000 a day. It helps me a lot!

S
  • that's a charley horse - it's actually your potassium levels that cause them. bananas, potatoes, etc. will help you out. meanwhile, when you get them (i used to all the time, they're a huge b!tch), get a rolling pin or something long and cylindrical, and "roller" your calves. trust me, it'll help loosen them up. be sure to be drinking lots of water, and stretching before and after your workouts, especially if you're working on any types of inclines (like running hills) or doing calf raises, etc.

feel better!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you for all your advise ladies! I will follow up with a doctor if this happens again any time soon - It's horrible!
  • I recently had muscle cramps in my calves.  However, that was related to my herniated disc.  When a disc is torn, the fluid presses up against your nerves and causes sciatic pain going down into your legs.  Chances are you don't have that, but I think it goes to show there might be many causes, and you should talk to a doctor to rule out things.  Hope you feel better!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards