Snarky Brides

Life Insurance

The last post made me think of this. 

I cannot get life insurance due to current and past health concerns.  I've applied and been turned down twice.  It isn't a major problem now since we live in a small condo and H could make the mortgage payments on his salary alone, we have an large emergency fund that could pay for a funeral, we have no kids, and we have no other debts...  but we are looking to buy our dream home and start a family, which would then require life insurance. 

Has anyone else been turned down for life insurance, and later found a program that worked for you? 

I have talked to my employer about them providing life insurance at low cost for employees, but I am not sure if/when that will happen. 

TIA!
imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Life Insurance

• edited April 2011
    Yes.  My H has been turned down for years due to a health issue he has had since he was three.  Last fall we tried Forrester's and we we able to get a very good life insurance policy for both of us.  We were very shocked to be able to get it as was H's parents because they tried when he was little and were always denied even when it came to small policies.

What's ironic about it, is H's policy actually costs less then mine because I am a women in my "child bearing years."

EDIT: and I should say that his condition is one that is almost always denied so I would definitely try contacting Forrester's and see what they can do for you.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I have a policy through my employer at very low cost.  1x salary is provided at no cost to me, and additional coverage is very inexpensive.  Maybe you would qualify for a group policy like this?  I also have additional coverage through a professional association (American Institute of CPAs).  If you and/or your H qualify for membership in such an organization, I recommend it.  I can get life insuance on me and H, health coverage, and long-term disability insurance for very favorable rates.

I'm sorry you're running into this.  A friend of mine cannot get insurance because of a medical condition, and the only coverage available to her is the polciy her mother took out on her as a child.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • DH and I both get it through our jobs. I never applied otherwise, but I have been paying into it since I was 23.
    BFP #1 1/1/11 EDD 9/10/11 dx:no hb DNC on 2/2/11 BFP #2 12/28/11 natural m/c on 2/6/12 BFP#3 2/16/13 dx:ectopic on 2/27 (given methotrexate)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_life-insurance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:56a726c7-5f68-4515-a836-65c993840450Post:4af43657-2235-45bf-8aaa-a26efebb6400">Re: Life Insurance</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes.  My H has been turned down for years due to a health issue he has had since he was three.  Last fall we tried Forrester's and we we able to get a very good life insurance policy for both of us.  We were very shocked to be able to get it as was H's parents because they tried when he was little and were always denied even when it came to small policies. <strong>What's ironic about it, is H's policy actually costs less then mine because I am a women in my "child bearing years</strong>." EDIT: and I should say that his condition is one that is almost always denied so I would definitely try contacting Forrester's and see what they can do for you.
    Posted by shaydenise[/QUOTE]

Why does that cost more?  Is the risk of death during childbirth that high?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_life-insurance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:56a726c7-5f68-4515-a836-65c993840450Post:180be42d-2a55-4d3e-bb73-e9ffd8699bfe">Re: Life Insurance</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Life Insurance : Why does that cost more?  Is the risk of death during childbirth that high?
    Posted by TheCranberry[/QUOTE]

Supposedly, yes.  I was surprised too, but we inquired about it and that is the reason they gave us.  I'm in otherwise perfect health (not that that is a health condition lol).  The cost isn't a great deal higher but it's about $10.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Wow, that's interesting.  I get life insurance through my job, but FI and I are going to look into whether we need to supplement it after we get married.

• My work does not offer a group policy.  I have asked the CEO and he said he would look into since it would benefit all of the employees, but no promises were made. 

I was turned down by my H's work, and then through the company I have my hownowners and car insurance through. 

I will look into Forrester's - thank you.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards