Florida-Central Florida

First Glance photos?

What are your opinions? I kind of like the idea of FI not seeing me until the ceremony, but then I like the idea of capturing our genuine reactions to seeing each other for the first time... have you done it/not done it? Thinking about doing it?

Re: First Glance photos?

• edited December 2011
    I think the idea is cute but I'd really rather keep the tradition of him not seeing me until I walk down the isle. That's just my opinion. Cute/fun idea but I'd rather keep it traditional :).
  • Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not. Tradition is not practical. I only have from 5 to about 10:30 at my venue. I'm also getting married on a Friday. We decided to wait until 5:30 to start the ceremony. That just does not leave us enough time to spend an hour taking pictures before the reception starts. I want the pictures to look great and I don't want to feel rushed. I'm taking them before. I think it would be nice to wait to see him until I walk down the aisle, but I just don't have time.

Also, I think having that special moment with just the two of us seeing each other is going to be amazing!
  • jazzycazyjazzycazy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm with tradition as well, I just want to see FI's reaction looking at him walking down the aisle. But if logistically it's not practical and you're not bothered about tradition then I don't see why you shouldn't do a reveal.

xjcx
  • edited December 2011
    I'm kind of flip-flopping with this idea too. By no means are we traditional people, but I'm still not sure which route we're taking with this one. I really like the idea of the "first look" being between just the two of us. Its real, with no distraction. Both have their perks, I guess.
  • edited December 2011
    We're doing our pictures before the ceremony. I don't want to keep my guests waiting at the reception for everything to start because we are off taking pictures.  So, most of them will be done before the ceremony.

Did you see Lauren (bellebride)'s first reaction pics?  The are uh-mazing!  Her hubby had the best expressions on his face.  It gave me chills. It was so sweet.
  • edited December 2011
    Ashley, that picture alone is what got me thinking about this more seriously. FI kinda likes the idea of having a cocktail hour for guests while we do pictures, but then I guess if we did our pics before we could actually go to the cocktail hour... lol
  • edited December 2011
    yeah. that's my thinking.  If we do pictures beforehand, then we have more time with our guests. I like that idea. I 1worry already about not even seeing everyone because of how crazy it's all gonna be
  • edited December 2011
    Ha thanks Ashley! I was just going to chime in and give my two sense... During the first stages of my planning I was 100% against seeing eachother before the ceremony. Like I argued with my parents over it because they wanted us to take pictures prior to the ceremony due to timeline. Also, in a Jewish wedding you see each other before the ceremony anyway to sign the ketubah.

However, the more I thought about timeline and things the better I liked the idea of doing pictures BEFORE the ceremony {hair fresh, makeup fresh, no sweat, less irritated when things go wrong, etc} and I liked the idea more. I still had it in my head that I wanted to see his face for the first time when I walked down the aisle, etc... however, in order to stop arguing with everyone I just gave in and said okay to pictures ahead of time.

Obviously looking back on it now I'm 100% happy that we did pictures ahead of time. The pictures from our reveal are without a doubt my FAVORITE pictures of the day. The expression when Josh first saw me was better than I could have ever imagined and so much more real than it would have been if he was standing up at the alter. It was completely opposite any reaction I even expected {we've been living together for 3 years already!}.

It also gave us a lot of time pre-ceremony together and with out bridal party, which was so much fun! I felt like we didn't have to bug the bridal party throughout the entire day either, we got it over with in the beginning. We also got to enjoy a good portion of our cocktail hour too!

I say go for it!!!

• adarlingztaadarlingzta member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think doing pics before is a great idea. You want to spend time with your guests, not away from them. Andplusalso, if you really want to see B's face when he sees you, do it before. It is hard coming down the aisle. I wish we would have done this. It would have settled me down to just have a few minutes before it all started. The rest of the day is whirlwind. 
  • AileeneGAileeneG member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm doing a first look. I wasn't sure about it before, b ecause I wanted to have that moment where we saw each other for the first time walking down the aisle, but then I realized that we'd still have that moment, it would just be more intimate with just the 2 of us (and the photog, of course).

Also, we're getting married at 5:30, so we will only have a certain amount of time before the sun goes down and we run out of light. I also think that when you aren't rushed for portaits, it gives more time to be creative and have fun, rather than just trying to fit them all in and getting the obligatory, generic poses. 
  • edited December 2011
    Omg Lauren! Those pictures are amazing!! I absolutely love love love them. I planned on doing the first look before and now I am even more excited!!
  • SarahSmile23SarahSmile23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we only had our venue from 4:30--8 and we had considered it. we decided to keep it traditional but i still think first look photos are adorable! you'll be happy either way.
  • edited December 2011
    We did the photos before the ceremony, and it was amazing. It was fun to see him, just the two of us. I walked down a spiral staircase, and he was waiting for me at the bottom. I jumped the last several steps into his arms, and he picked me up and twirled me. You really can't do that when you meet at the end of the aisle. And to answer the eternal question, it didn't take away from that moment of walking down the aisle. It also allowed for a lot of extra family photos, and fun, silly photos. Definitely the best decision I made, it was fun, and definitely relaxed us. 
  • Blonde407Blonde407 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I REALLY regret not doing this !  The first time I saw H was walking down the aisle and I was so nervous that I broke out into hives... so all the pictures of the ceremony I have hives lol.  We also got like no photos of just us... but then again we had a sh*tty photographer so doubt the extra time before the ceremony would have made a difference.  But anyways... I kick myself in the asss for not doing this.

**Blog Sale - UPDATED 04/03/2012**
    First weight loss goal - 40lbs... DONE! Second weight loss goal - 17lbs... LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all your thoughts on this, ladies! I'm really leaning toward doing it now. :D
  • edited December 2011
    I want to do it but my FI is very old fashioned and thats one tradition he will not give up ! I think its a great way to not feel rushed during cocktail hour and the girls above are correct you will look fresh. Also the pictures are priceless.!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    225 image Invited
    127 image Making the Trip
    98 image Missing out
    0 image MIA
    RSVP date February 19th
  • edited December 2011
    FI and I are doing it.  I've seen pictures of it, including Lauren's, and they really are priceless.  Plus, I think it's great that the first time we see each other will be up close and personal rather than from opposite sides of the aisle.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards