Hawaii

NWR poll: But still marriage related!

So. Kids. I turned 30 this year, and this has been on my mind a LOT. My priority (my husband's too) in life has always been travel, but crossing the threshold into the 30s realm makes me wonder if I need to cut out the travel for a while and start thinking baby. The thing is, in spite of feeling the clock ticking away I'm just not ready to give up my freedom yet.

Do you have them already or do you want them?

How soon after the wedding are you planning on TTCing?

Do you want to be a SAHM (stay at home mum) or go back to work?

Re: NWR poll: But still marriage related!

• fabutanfabutan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Interesting post, I think we're the same age!  :)

Would love to have kids, but we'll have to wait until after the wedding to start.  :)

Not sure, that's up for discussion.  :)  FI is actually younger than me, but he seems to be more keen to start a family than I am.  I keep telling him to enjoy our "couple life" while it lasts!

I'd probably go back to work.  But I'm also worried about having enough time and freedom to give my kids enough care and attention, especially during their younger (before school) years.  Definitely one of the questions on my mind at the moment, particularly since my line of work is quite demanding at times.

• edited December 2011
    Definitely an interesting subject.  It took me longer than most to actually find the person I wanted to have kids with and I also spent a lot of time traveling and doing things for myself.  I'm currently 39 and FI and I have a 3 1/2 year old son.  I had major problems conceiving and by the time I was pregnant we had been together 2 1/2 years.  I definitely recommend for health purposes to do it before 35.  I wish I had kids a bit sooner because frankly, your energy level to keep up with them on a daily basis is higher.  I truly don't know how some older Mom's do it.

Do you want to be a SAHM (stay at home mum) or go back to work?  I never dreamed I would be a SAHM.  I worked in corporate America and stayed there for the first year of his life.  Then it hit me....why did I have him if a Nanny was going to be the one enjoying all of his accomplishments.  We made the decision I would leave corporate America and work in FI's small business so I could work from home and be with him everyday.  I wouldn't change that decision for anything.  It makes you a little crazy some days but when FI gets home I just leave the house and regroup for an hour lol.
  • edited December 2011
    great poll!
    Do you have them already or do you want them? oh most definitely want them. i ideally want 5, but FI wants 3-4, so we'll see (he's 1 of 5 and LOVES kids too)

How soon after the wedding are you planning on TTCing? oh boy, not for another 3 years or so. i'm only 26 :) but we plan to TTC when i'm ~29.

Do you want to be a SAHM (stay at home mum) or go back to work? i would like to SAH until the kids go to school. i don't want to miss out on all these milestones... but once they're in school, i'd prob be bored.
  • edited December 2011
     We definitely want kids, someday.

When I met FI, he was ready for kids then. But, he changed his program because I was only 21. Now he says he's in no rush. Although, I know he is afraid of being too old when he starts having kids--he turns 30 this year. Considering that he was ready when he was 26, he's been waiting awhile already.
    I'm in an interesting position.  FI & I have a deal that once we're done having kids, we'll move back to the USA.  So, I'm torn between giving up my independence and getting to move "home." At least two years after the wedding, though, that'd make me almost 26.  

I want to SAH, if possible, until kids are in school.
  • edited December 2011
    Alyson, I feel the same way as you! I'm also 30 and feel the clock starting to tick but still want to travel and enjoy our freedom as a married couple....decisions, decisions...

Do you have them already or do you want them?  Yes, we definitely want them. We both come from pretty large families but settled on aiming for 3 kids.

How soon after the wedding are you planning on TTCing? We might start trying in a year

Do you want to be a SAHM (stay at home mum) or go back to work? Ideally, I'd like to stay home with them for the first year or two and then work part-time so that I can still have enough time to spend with them
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I'm in a similar position, fellow 30 y/o's!  I turned 30 in November, right before we got engaged. We plan to wait 2 years at least because that's when I'll be done with school. But hubby is 34, so we have concerns about being older parents as well, or having difficulty TTC.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Don't have any yet, but I have been seeing kids left and right and just wanting them!!! But at the same time, I have been in school for so long, right now all I want to do is just work full time for a few years. FI wants 3 and I want 4 so we will see what happens. I want to have them all close together too!

Probably two years after the wedding, if I can wait that long. I will be about 27-28.

I'm really torn - it's hard to only have one parent work in Hawai'i; you really need the income from both parents. Plus one day I reeeeaaallly want to have my own business. 
  • akan66akan66 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We don't have any yet, but I definitely can't wait to have them!  I feel like everyone around me is pregnant right now so it is making me think about it alot!

I think we're going to wait about 2 years, maybe a 1.5 years.  I think it will all depend on how where we end up settling and when we buy a house.  My FI will be 3 weeks away from 30 when we get married and I will be 25, so I'd like to try to be done having kids right around 30, and he is worried about being an older dad, so we don't want to wait too long.

I would definitely love to stay at home if possible.  My parents owned their own business and it was just starting out when I was in first grade so it was really awesome to have my mom home when we got back from school, so I would love the opportunity to raise my kids the same way.  But once they were in school I would probably try to get a part-time job so I could still be home with them in the evenings.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Wow!  This has actually been on my mind lately.  Seems like everyone has been telling me I need to hurry up and have babies. We definitely want to have kids one day, but I'm nervous about being a mom.  I love kids and have a lot of nieces & nephews, but its still scary.  I'm turning 34 the day before our wedding, so I do feel like the clock is ticking.  Not sure what we're going to do.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards