Military Brides

Teach me Tuesday

Teach me something!

Fun facts, weird laws, interesting stories....

Go!
imageBabyFruit Ticker

Re: Teach me Tuesday

• edited December 2011
    Fun Fact: Bourbon is strictly made in KY and is only composed of 5 ingrediants.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Fun Fact:  the tea in Fire Fly vodka (Sweet Tea Vodka) is grown at the only tea place in the US.  It is located just outside of Charleston, SC. 
  • BinxRoseBinxRose member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love finding out meanings behind words, phrases, and traditions. Here are a few wedding ones: HONEYMOON For a month after the wedding, the bride's father would supply his son-in-law with all the mead he could drink. Mead is a honey beer, and because their calendar was lunar based, this period was called the "honey month" or what we know today as the "honeymoon". TIE THE KNOT Tying the knot of the ropes in the marriage bed. RING FINGER It was believed that the third finger contained the "vein of love" that led directly to the heart. WHITE WEDDING DRESS This was made popular in the 1840's by Queen Victoria, who chose this instead of the traditional royal "silver" wedding dress. Prior to this, brides simply wore their best dress on their wedding day. BRIDESMAIDS Early brides and bridesmaids wore similar dresses in order to confuse evil spirits.
  • LetsHikeTodayLetsHikeToday member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for teaching me stuff today!

I love it!
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • ggirl2001ggirl2001 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I have a "duh" fact of the day. I just went to the school districts website of the county I work in to get an address. The first thing I see is this "bully awareness stat of the day: did you know that cyber bullying can involve the use of cell phones (text messaging) or the Internet (Facebook) to hurt victims? Uh thanks I hope that most people knew that by now.
  • edited December 2011
    It NC, it used to be legal to beat your wife.  Only on Sundays and it had to be on the steps of the courthouse. 
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011

It is also illegal to buy panty hose on Sunday in SC.  Silly SC!!!

• calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm... I'm full of useless information, which piece will I share here?

The plasticy corks are actually better for wine production and aging than the wood corks, but the wood corks are considered "traditional" so many think they're "better" but they aren't.  Twist off caps are even better, but most vineyards choose to go for plastic since then at least it "seems" like a nicer wine. 

Some of the top wine producers still go for the wood cork, so that's why a lot of people think the "best" wine has wood corks - but that "best" wine would likely be even better (and have far fewer spoiled bottles) if they used twist caps or plastic corks!  So next time you see one, know that the producer is actually doing a good thing for their wine rather than simply the "cheap" thing.  The only reason it's cheaper in the long run is because it allows less wine to spoil so they can sell more.

Anniversary

• kara811kara811 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, some of the things you ladies posted are unusual like the ones from NC and SC. I read them and in my brain, I'm like: "WTF?" 

I can't think of much right now but I just learned from an episode of CSI Miami that planes, especially larger ones have  a romper room for their crew members. It's basically a room with small beds for them to rest and sleep in during long flights. I've flown many times but never knew this and now I want to see one in real life! I even Googled it after seeing the episode half an hour ago, and they are real. 

Also, you might already know this Hike, but there's a law against cursing in public here in VA Beach. H and I always forget, we still curse everywhere. Lol 
  • AmandaSC1988AmandaSC1988 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Random WTF Oklahoma Law

Whaling is illegal -  ....Where can you find whales in Oklahoma?

Reandom fact:

When you combine a question mark (?) and a exclamation point (!), it is called an 'interrobang" (?! or !?)
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Because this is where i'm from.. Virgina laws...wow.

Not only is it illegal to have sex with the lights on, one may not have sex in any position other than missionary.

You may not have oral or anal sex.

Police radar detectors are illegal.

No animal may be hunted for on Sunday with the exception of raccoons, which may be hunted until 2:00 AM.

Pretty ridiculous.. but kind of funny.!
  • edited December 2011
    Just found this one too, it is just wow..

In Utah no one may have sex in the back of an ambulance if it is responding to an emergency call.

Why would you be having sex in the back of an ambulance...especially if it is responding to an emergency call.? haha
    edited December 2011
    Belly - Yea, Oklahoma also has some crazy sex laws too...Oral is considered a misdemeanor and is punishable by one year in jail or a 2,500 fine. Also premarital sex is against the law. Pretending to have sex with a buffalo inside a bar is also illegal. (wtf?)

...Some of these laws.. lmao.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Kara - I believe the cussing law is only on the boardwalk so you should be safe Wink
  • divinemsbeedivinemsbee member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Fun Mississippi fact: Up until the late 80s (I remember this as a child) you couldn't buy beer or milk on Sundays because of blue laws. We still have several "dry" counties here.
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    DMB - I grew up thinking everywhere had Blue Laws.  In Rhode Island and Massachussets, you still can't buy alcohol on Sundays, I think.  Even here, they can't sell alcohol before 12pm on Sundays.  We were at Sams Club checkout on Sunday at 11:50pm and they wouldn't sell it to us.  I asked FI if he wanted to wait, but we ended up leaving it and going.

Anniversary

• ggirl2001ggirl2001 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_teach-tuesday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:8aaf9691-df59-4318-9a12-dbe5252fb7c4Post:39d77e7f-19cf-43b9-8be5-b2b10374ae67">Re: Teach me Tuesday</a>:
    [QUOTE] Pretending to have sex with a buffalo inside a bar is also illegal. (wtf?) ...Some of these laws.. lmao.
    Posted by AmandaSC1988[/QUOTE]

Well there goes a dare for your bachelorette party.
  • edited December 2011
    Well I guess I can't got to VA Beach.  HAAA

This is a great thread!  I love it!

Here is another one from SC- Horses may not be kept in a bathtub!  HAA

I found this site if you are bored.  It is super funny! 

http://www.dumblaws.com/

• kara811kara811 member
    edited December 2011
    amh: They have the signs in other public places too like the mall, which is where I'm at quite often these days. lol 

All these laws had me LMFAO but they are so ridiculous especially those VA ones! I would have never known! We've never had any kind of laws like these in other places I've lived in, but those are on the West Coast though, maybe that's just it? 
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_teach-tuesday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:8aaf9691-df59-4318-9a12-dbe5252fb7c4Post:1d1c0fb4-3346-40ea-8090-e7c7c264f4bb">Re: Teach me Tuesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]DMB - I grew up thinking everywhere had Blue Laws.  In Rhode Island and Massachussets, you still can't buy alcohol on Sundays, I think.  Even here, they can't sell alcohol before 12pm on Sundays.  We were at Sams Club checkout on Sunday at 11:50pm and they wouldn't sell it to us.  I asked FI if he wanted to wait, but we ended up leaving it and going.
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]

Oklahoma has some seriously stupid liquor laws.  Anything that is bought in a grocery store has to be 3.2% or less. So, the only alcohol they sell in grocery stores are watered down beer. All of Oklahoma beers are 3.2%...what a waste..  Liquor stores and bars aren't open on Sunday (this isn't normal for everyone??)

It was crazy for me to go to Kansas City and be able to buy Baileys with my hot chocolate at Walmart without having to go to 2 different stores.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    The town that I live in, actually just recently became a "wet" county.  It's actually done wonders for the town, and some of the people who were so opposed to it in the first place and some of the frequent visitors to the bars and wine shops that have opened up.  They were all about "Protecting the kids", umm.. when I was in HS I found ways to drink, as did everyone else.  If it had been readily available, I might not have thought twice about it, but because it was "forbidden" I was like "YESS!!!"
    Photobucket
  • melbelle24melbelle24 member
    edited December 2011
    There are still SEVERAL counties in MS that are "dry". My hometown just recently passed a law to allow restaurants in town to sell beer, but they still can't sell anything with hard liquor. One of the larger cities near me finally passed a law giving allowing restaurants to sell liquor along with beer, like last year. We still can't buy anything with alcohol on Sundays (although DMB, I'd never heard that about milk! Weird.)  Also in MS, grocery stores are only allowed to sell beer. I'm sure there's a %alcohol limit, but I don't know what it is. Anything above that has to be sold in a liquor store, and all liquor stores must buy their alcohol through the state's one and only "Alcoholic Beverage Control" that determines what types, brands, etc. you can get in MS. My dad hates this law, because they don't carry one of his favorite beers.
  • kara811kara811 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_teach-tuesday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:8aaf9691-df59-4318-9a12-dbe5252fb7c4Post:c5c90598-4208-45a9-b4a1-9bfac9848ab9">Re: Teach me Tuesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Teach me Tuesday : Liquor stores and bars aren't open on Sunday (this isn't normal for everyone??)   
    Posted by AmandaSC1988[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This isn't the case anywhere I've lived. Both Nevada and California have don't have any sort of law like this. You can go to the bar or purchase alcohol pretty much any time you'd like. I think in California alcohol can only be purchases until 2am on Sundays(in some areas I believe), but other than that you can go anytime. Nevada is a 24/7 state, being that Las Vegas and Reno are there. Public intoxication also isn't illegal there. </div><div>
    </div><div>As far as underage drinking, there are exceptions to it in many states. In most places, minors can drink under certain circumstances, i.e. in the private spaces(home/office) with or without parental consent, for education(culinary school) etc. 

</div>
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_teach-tuesday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:8aaf9691-df59-4318-9a12-dbe5252fb7c4Post:25f0f254-cb6a-41cb-aa78-95f4974cbb47">Re: Teach me Tuesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]amh: They have the signs in other public places too like the mall, which is where I'm at quite often these days. lol  All these laws had me LMFAO but they are so ridiculous especially those VA ones! I would have never known! We've never had any kind of laws like these in other places I've lived in, but those are on the West Coast though, maybe that's just it? 
    Posted by kara811[/QUOTE]

Wow! Didn't know that, must be something new... hmm. I might need to make a trip to the mall when I'm home next month. Lol. Virginia is a very conservative state - and its actually a commonwealth not a 'state'. So that might have something to do with it.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_teach-tuesday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:8aaf9691-df59-4318-9a12-dbe5252fb7c4Post:f4592312-4f8d-4747-a2e9-3849a50bfa91">Re: Teach me Tuesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]The town that I live in, actually just recently became a "wet" county.  It's actually done wonders for the town, and some of the people who were so opposed to it in the first place and some of the frequent visitors to the bars and wine shops that have opened up.  They were all about "Protecting the kids", umm.. when I was in HS I found ways to drink, as did everyone else.  If it had been readily available, I might not have thought twice about it, but because it was "forbidden" I was like "YESS!!!"
    Posted by SamiJoeB[/QUOTE]

This is how FI's county was that he grew up in. They just became a 'wet' county - it actually won't go into affect until 2012. If you wanted to buy beer/liquor you had to go a county over.
  • kara811kara811 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_teach-tuesday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:8aaf9691-df59-4318-9a12-dbe5252fb7c4Post:a1ffd108-6dc1-4094-9f9b-ac214c86a1fa">Re: Teach me Tuesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Teach me Tuesday : Wow! Didn't know that, must be something new... hmm. I might need to make a trip to the mall when I'm home next month. Lol. Virginia is a very conservative state - and its actually a commonwealth not a 'state'. So that might have something to do with it.
    Posted by amh04[/QUOTE]

<div>Yep. The sign is around Lynnhaven Mall, I always see the ones by the movie theatre!</div>
  • edited December 2011
    PA has separate wines and spirit stores owned by the government.  That is the only place you can purchase wines and liquor.  They are only open 9am-9pm M-Sat and recently they allowed them to be open on Sundays from 12pm-5pm.

Beer is only sold at bars, restaurants and licensed beer distributors.  Giant Eagle and Wegmans started selling beers but they can't be within the grocery store.  They have to be in their own separate section and I believe they must be paid for before carrying through the store.

edited to clarify: Wines can be purchased at winery storefronts and at the winery itself. 

ETA: FI has a family friend who works at a large winery in California.  They must ship the wine to NY to another family friend for FI to drive and pick up because they cannot ship the wine to Pennsylvania.
    Photobucket
  • BinxRoseBinxRose member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    amh- I thought VA was a state, but just like Norfolk and some surrounding cities were commonwealths? Can you clarify?     On a separate note, it's bizzare (and obnoxious) to me that I can only purchase hard liquor at ABC stores. In WI hard liquor can be sold anywhere with a license. I'm pretty sure the only law in WI is that hard liquor can't be sold in stores after 9:00, and beer can't be sold in stores after midnight.
  • kara811kara811 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_teach-tuesday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:8aaf9691-df59-4318-9a12-dbe5252fb7c4Post:c1b77bb6-5057-44c5-a0bf-79afb4b5c515">Re: Teach me Tuesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]amh-<strong> I thought VA was a state, but just like Norfolk and some surrounding cities were commonwealths? Can you clarify?</strong>     On a separate note, it's bizzare (and obnoxious) to me that I can only purchase hard liquor at ABC stores. In WI hard liquor can be sold anywhere with a license. I'm pretty sure the only law in WI is that hard liquor can't be sold in stores after 9:00, and beer can't be sold in stores after midnight.
    Posted by BinxRose[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto this. I am pretty sure one of the real estate agents we met with or someone else we met in the past month told us the same thing. Like there aren't any counties, or VA Beach is not part of a county but a commonwealth(it kind of confused me as you can tell. lol) </div>
    edited December 2011
    I  got a little bored and was interested by all the weird laws  and started reading about all the dry counties. It was interesting that research has found that dry counties have higher proportions of alcohol-related traffic crashes than do wet counties. Which makes perfect sense because people have to travel out of county lines to drink.. longer commutes provide more opportunities to get into an accident.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_county

I found another wiki article about liqour laws for each state which I found really interesting. it is strange to see the different laws between the states.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_laws_of_the_United_States_by_state
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards