Wedding Reception Forum

Love or Hate

My wedding is the Friday prior to Halloween.  We are not really playing anything up around it -- no costumes, etc.  But I was planning on putting together some "out-of-town" bags for those guests staying at the hotel and making them "trick or treat bags".  Maybe buying those pumpkin carriers for your candy,  like when you were a kid and stuffing with water, advil, candy, other treats...

Re: Love or Hate

• I love the plastic pumpkin idea. My Mom still has ours from when we were kids that she puts out every year. Who doesn't like to reminisce a bit of their childhood?
  • I really like the idea - it's a little cheesy but in a good way, IMO.  And it's just going to be in the guests' rooms, so I think it's the perfect place to do something like that.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I, personally, would love the plastic pumpkin filled with Halloween goodies.
  • Like pp... I love the plastic pumpkin!!! That's the kind I always used :) Brings back good memories!!
    Everyday is a miracle. Anniversary
  • I think is a very nice idea but i would make it a little more formal. if this is the only halloween thing you are doing it might look out of place in relation to the rest of the look and feel of your wedding.
  • I like the idea but I think the functionality is not really there. Orange/Black bags would be easier for the guests to take with them. And unless they have children they may just be an expensive item tossed away after the goodies are all gone...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think its a cute idea! Go for it!
  • I too like the plastic pumpkin idea, but as mentioned above, it would be hard to pack afterwards.  If your guest wasn't sentimental or cared about the cost, they might toss it.  Maybe you could tuck a note inside that if they can't fit the pumpkin in their luggage, that you will donate them afterwards or something?
  • I think a brown paper bag with a cute Halloween stamp would be nice. Tied up with raffia? I like the caramel apple and popcorn ball idea! maybe a homemade pumpkin bar or something? Hot cocoa mix?
    ~basquing in the wedded bliss~
  • My co-worker has one of those pumpkins that is made out of cloth with some sort of metal webbing inside it, and it actually collapses for storage.  I'm not sure where she got it or how expensive it would be, but maybe you could do those?  I like the idea of the pumpkin, but I understand what people are saying about it being hard to pack afterwards.

--M

• Who cares if they throw them away afterward???  You're going for the "OMG, how cute" not the "OMG, I could use these for the next 15 years".  If you like the idea, do it. I personally think the plastic pumpkin SCREAMS "OMG cute" over a bag with an orange tie on it.  I mean, people will be wowed that you did something that was halloween related and it's thoughtful and SUCH a great idea.  DO IT. Everyone loves a little nostalgia-especially filled with goodies.
  • I think that is a super cute idea! My FI and I are going to be at our friends' wedding on the 30th, and they are going for the fall feel. I am making her wedding cake, it's going to be the shape of a pumpkin, and have an orange glaze drizzled over it. Their topper is a really cute skeleton couple that one of their friends brought them from Mexico. 
  • Our wedding is also the week before Halloween and it is not part of our overall theme or feel. However, in the welcome bags for out of town guests I have included as a "treat" a little snack bag filled with an assortment of candies. I got the bags at AC Moore and they say " trick or treat".  (a pack of 25 cost like $1.50)  I bought  a bulk sized bag of mixed candy and randomly dropped in three to each baggie.  I think it is a cute nod to Halloween without being cheesy or too much.
  • I agree with the suggestion of orange or black paper/gift bags.  While  your guests will know they are attending your wedding, having plastic pumpkin candy carriers will take away from the usual mature atmosphere of your day.  If you and your hubby to be were big Halloween fanatics, then I think your guests would expect the pumpkin carriers.  You already said no costumes are going to be worn so why would you add a costume accessory?

Candy is fun at a wedding. If you watch any of the wedding shows on the WE network or Style network, they have featured receptions where there were variety of candies available for guests to scoop out and put into gift bags.  I never heard any negative comments and several of the guests enjoyed picking out their treats. 

It's your day but keep it special for you and your new hubby and not Halloween!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I like the pumpkin bowl idea! Not cheesy, just cute.
  • Although I love the idea, If you're not doing anything halloween-y for the wedding, maybe you should look at ideas that would go with your wedding theme/colors.

Just a thought
  • they have very nice welcome bags that you could probably do in a halloween theme, but if it were me i would probably want to make it more about my wedding then halloween, it might make it a good favor for ppl to take home...I just worry about people getting the wrong idea about the wedding being halloween themed...but thats up to you
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_love-hate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:314d7233-f0ab-436f-903a-82ac83e3a6cePost:0f97f27b-e6e3-40c1-a929-33f6ece8ff25">Re: Love or Hate</a>:
    [QUOTE]Who cares if they throw them away afterward???  You're going for the "OMG, how cute" not the "OMG, I could use these for the next 15 years".  If you like the idea, do it. I personally think the plastic pumpkin SCREAMS "OMG cute" over a bag with an orange tie on it.  I mean, people will be wowed that you did something that was halloween related and it's thoughtful and SUCH a great idea.  DO IT. Everyone loves a little nostalgia-especially filled with goodies.
    Posted by cmr424s[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Personally, I'd rather get a paper bag so I can RECYCLE IT if I don't want it afterwards.  And, I'd sleep better at night if it were my wedding and I were not generating additional landfill waste.  My wedding isn't going to be totally green, but I try to do what I can.  And eliminating plastic pumpkins would help.  Plus, it would be slightly more classy to use paper bags with a cool stamp AND it would be less stress for the guests to think what to do with the damn thing if they can't pack it when they leave.  I think there are several good reasons not to use the plastic pumpkins.  I love the caramel apple idea, too, cause our moms NEVER let us actually eat those when we got them (razor blades!!!).  Here would be one caramel apple you could actually eat! </div>
  • And, you could have a little card inside the bag or a label that said something like, "Here's to the sweet life!"  or Life is Sweet or something. I agree with people who said that candy is cool....the presentation is so much a part of the wedding feel, I'd want to give it a bit more of a special vibe than a plastic pumpkin.  

And, to put my comment in perspective, I am a TOTAL Halloween fanatic and dress up every year in elaborate costumes that I ahve worked on for months and I STILL wouldn't do plastic pumpkins....I would make sure that songs like Monster Mash or Spooky or Werewolves of London got into the mix at the reception, though.  
  • I don't know what your "theme" or colors are but maybe using some small brown paper bags and stamping them would look a little better. The idea is fantastic especially if you have a bar advil is an outrageously good idea. But hey, its YOUR wedding. Do what makes you happy. Period.
  • Regardless of the practicality issue, it is still very thoughtful and your guests are surely to appreciate the effort and the thought. 
  • If you are OK with your OOT guests throwing them away, have at the plastic pumpkin idea.  They may not have extra space in their luggage to take the containers back.  
  • cute idea to do a treats bag for out of town guests!  But I think that the bags should reflect the theme of your wedding.  Like the invitation, they will be a hint of what to expect on your big day!
  • I would go with little fall themed baskets. Plus everyone loves a baskest for makeup, odds and ends, etc.. then all the money you spend would be on something people might keep. ( Although I would keep the pumpkin too!)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards