Not Engaged Yet

You guys!

It's Friday! As of 4pm today, I'm off work until January 2nd. No 5:30am wake-up calls. No 10 hour workdays. FOR 11 GLORIOUS DAYS!

I have to finish Christmas shopping. There was an issue with 5 gifts I ordered so I have to replace them and I still have to finish shopping for FI. And I have to wrap. I *hate* wrapping. I might get up early tomorrow and get to the mall when it opens to finish up and hopefully avoid some of the crowds.

I really want to bake cookies this weekend. My aunt hosts Christmas and takes care of all the food so I don't have to cook or bake for Christmas Day at all. We are having family game night next Saturday and I plan to make THESE Rotel cups. I think they look so amazing and I'm excited. I love those phyllo cups, they're so versatile (I used them to make a pecan dessert for Thanksgiving).

Those are my random thoughts/ramble for now. Talk to me, people! 

Re: You guys!

• JEALOUS. We even have to work Christmas Eve. Our only days off are Christmas Day and New Year's Day. Nature of the beast, I suppose. Some of my coworkers are off for longer, but because Tyler and I are Buddhist, we don't really have extended Christmas festivities, so I'm much more than willing to give up extra days so that my Christian coworkers are able to do the maximum amount of Christmasing.

Tyler and I have only bought gifts for one another, so we're going shopping tomorrow for his parents. My parents and sister didn't want anything, so we don't have to worry about them -- my parents are giving us the promise of paying for the organist for our wedding in lieu of a physical present.

I've been having a rough time lately because my mom has been extremely ill and in and out of the hospital since Thanksgiving, but we think we finally have a definitive diagnosis on her, so I'm closer to getting back to less panicky. To recharge, I went out with my favorite coworkers for sushi last night then went for hookah with my best friend here in Tennessee. It was good times even if I got home a lot later than I intended.

I am just tired and ready for the weekend to commence. I have to go to a site initiation visit today for a new study, so today's going to be very. very. long.

• Morning, Still! My mom's a nurse now and she has to work Christmas Day :(

I hope you're mom is ok and it's not too serious?

• I'm out at 4 today too and then off work until the 2nd!  Please, please let this day go by quickly!

Still, I'm sorry that your mom has been ill.  I hope it isn't too serious.

My weekend is pretty booked right now.  After work I HAVE to go to the gym.  I didn't run yesterday because it was raining, but no excuses tonight.  Then I need to clean the kitchen and get some cookies in the oven.  Tomorrow we are picking up FI's grandma from the airport and taking her over to FI's parent's.  Plus FI's uncle is coming in from New York, so it should be a pretty fun day with family. 

Sunday I am visiting one of my best friends.  Her dad just got home from 2 years in Afghanistan and I can not wait to see him!  I love her family so much!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_you-guys?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:696dcfbf-1586-43e9-9e34-8e61f29780f7Post:405916d2-d749-47bc-9a05-4f60c7b19688">Re: You guys!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm out at 4 today too and then off work until the 2nd!  Please, please let this day go by quickly! Still, I'm sorry that your mom has been ill.  I hope it isn't too serious. My weekend is pretty booked right now.  After work I HAVE to go to the gym.  I didn't run yesterday because it was raining, but no excuses tonight.  Then I need to clean the kitchen and get some cookies in the oven.  Tomorrow we are picking up FI's grandma from the airport and taking her over to FI's parent's.  Plus FI's uncle is coming in from New York, so it should be a pretty fun day with family.  Sunday I am visiting one of my best friends.  Her dad just got home from 2 years in Afghanistan and I can not wait to see him!  I love her family so much!
    Posted by lovelyheather[/QUOTE]

<div>We have 8 more hours until FREEDOM! </div><div>
    </div><div>What kind of cookies are you making?</div><div>
    </div><div>Sending all of my thanks and appreciation to your friend's dad and family for their sacrifice! </div>

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_you-guys?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:696dcfbf-1586-43e9-9e34-8e61f29780f7Post:6fa842df-9f0c-4858-b62a-a868106454d8">Re: You guys!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: You guys! : We have 8 more hours until FREEDOM!  What kind of cookies are you making? Sending all of my thanks and appreciation to your friend's dad and family for their sacrifice! 
    Posted by rdr716[/QUOTE]

Peanut butter blossoms, snickerdoodles, sugar cookies.  If I have time I will make chocolate covered oreos too, but I'm not sure if that is going to happen.  I need to get up and go for a run Saturday morning too and we have to leave for the airport around noon. 

What type of cookies are you thinking about making?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_you-guys?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:696dcfbf-1586-43e9-9e34-8e61f29780f7Post:107bd313-72c2-4065-8484-e9706d671dbc">Re: You guys!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: You guys! : Peanut butter blossoms, snickerdoodles, sugar cookies.  If I have time I will make chocolate covered oreos too, but I'm not sure if that is going to happen.  I need to get up and go for a run Saturday morning too and we have to leave for the airport around noon.  What type of cookies are you thinking about making?

<div>I generally fail at cookie-making so I will probably go with chocolate chip and cross my fingers that they're edible. But I'm kind of dying to make <a href="http://allrecipes.com/recipe/award-winning-soft-chocolate-chip-cookies/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">THESE </a>chocolate chip pudding cookies so I might be adventurous :) </div><div>
    </div><div>I want all of your cookies!</div>

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_you-guys?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:696dcfbf-1586-43e9-9e34-8e61f29780f7Post:2b84e8f3-fc04-42f4-b174-eee339026c62">Re: You guys!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: You guys! : I generally fail at cookie-making so I will probably go with chocolate chip and cross my fingers that they're edible. But I'm kind of dying to make  THESE  chocolate chip pudding cookies so I might be adventurous :)  I want all of your cookies!
    Posted by rdr716[/QUOTE]

Ooh, those sound yummy!  I love soft chocolate chip cookies. What sort of problems do you run into with cookies?  Maybe I can help.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Holy crap, Christmas is Tuesday. Where the hel! Did my week go? Although, it's closer to the 29th, which means closer to whh my brother and his GF come in to town!! I need to finish cleaning and unpacking before they get here, and hopefully my rental company will come fix our patio door so I can get to my Christmas tree to decorate it. This will be the first Christmas we don't have family around so I think we will have one of his friends over and just hang out and relax. I have to figure out what I'm goin to cook. Today I'm hoping to have my final interview and background check, and go get my license changed to a Florida license
  • I hate wrapping gifts and I need to do that this weekend. Sigh. I have to work a half day Xmas eve and a full day NYE  I have off Xmas day and the two days after Xmas. I woke up in a bad mood this morning and my stomach feels awful.  My stomach has been icky all week though not sure why either. This afternoon work is treating us to lunch  and a little party.  I hope today is quiet, is it 4pm yet?

Anniversary

• edited December 2012

We have a busy weekend ahead! Tonight we're going to an "end of the world" birthday party for one of my girlfriends. I'm supposed to bring something to eat - so your Rotel Cups were just bumped to the top of my list RDR! (they sound amazing and I love that it's nothing anyone else would show up with!)

Tomorrow we'll be cleaning like crazy. We aren't hosting anything this year, but my house is a mess after 2 weeks in MT for work and I'm sick of it. Then we're doing dinner and going to see a lights display with FI's parents.

Sunday is reserved for wrapping gifts, grabbing a couple small stocking stuffers and then hopefully having a calm, quiet night with FI before all the crazy family time begins!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_you-guys?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:696dcfbf-1586-43e9-9e34-8e61f29780f7Post:1c0727c2-f142-4ca8-99d9-e7341de25378">Re: You guys!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: You guys! : Ooh, those sound yummy!  I love soft chocolate chip cookies. What sort of problems do you run into with cookies?  Maybe I can help.

<div>I guess I tend to over cook them? They always just end up hard and super dark on the bottom. I haven't made homemade cookies yet, though. I always buy the refrigerated ones or the kind in the bag that you mix. I have no idea if that has anything to do with it. </div><div>
    </div><div>Also, my cookie sheets SUCK. I'm excited for the ones on my registry hahaha</div>

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_you-guys?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:696dcfbf-1586-43e9-9e34-8e61f29780f7Post:42e1a064-77b3-4558-9b43-2f0d8c3761e0">Re: You guys!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Holy crap, Christmas is Tuesday. Where the hel! Did my week go? Although, it's closer to the 29th, which means closer to whh my brother and his GF come in to town!! I need to finish cleaning and unpacking before they get here, and hopefully my rental company will come fix our patio door so I can get to my Christmas tree to decorate it. This will be the first Christmas we don't have family around so I think we will have one of his friends over and just hang out and relax. I have to figure out what I'm goin to cook. Today I'm hoping to have my final interview and background check, and go get my license changed to a Florida license
    Posted by IrishDreamer[/QUOTE]

<div>GOOD LUCK TODAY! </div><div>
    </div><div>How are you feeling not having family around for Christmas? It'd be really hard for me. </div><div>
    </div><div>Are you doing anything fun while your brother is in town? Are they stay for New Year's?</div>

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_you-guys?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:696dcfbf-1586-43e9-9e34-8e61f29780f7Post:2898fcc4-763a-4ec0-9b2a-ae1dba38382f">Re: You guys!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I hate wrapping gifts and I need to do that this weekend. Sigh. I have to work a half day Xmas eve and a full day NYE  I have off Xmas day and the two days after Xmas. I woke up in a bad mood this morning and my stomach feels awful.  My stomach has been icky all week though not sure why either. This afternoon work is treating us to lunch  and a little party.  I hope today is quiet, is it 4pm yet?
    Posted by danser55[/QUOTE]

<div>Aww I hope your stomach starts to feel better and make yourself be in a better mood! No bad moods this close to Christmas :)</div>

• All of this cookie talk is making me want to go home and bake today! Perhaps i'll make some English Toffee for the party tonight as well...if I have time.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_you-guys?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:696dcfbf-1586-43e9-9e34-8e61f29780f7Post:2abbc59c-fbbd-4ee8-9189-fa98f425ad09">Re: You guys!</a>:
    [QUOTE]We have a busy weekend ahead! Tonight we're going to an "end of the world" birthday party for one of my girlfriends. I'm supposed to bring something to eat - so your Rotel Cups were just bumped to the top of my list RDR! (they sound amazing and I love that it's nothing anyone else would show up with!) Tomorrow we'll be cleaning like crazy. We aren't hosting anything this year, but my house is a mess after 2 weeks in MT for work and I'm sick of it. Then we're doing dinner and going to see a lights display with FI's parents. Sunday is reserved for wrapping gifts, grabbing a couple small stocking stuffers and then hopefully having a calm, quiet night with FI before all the crazy family time begins!
    Posted by allusive007[/QUOTE]

<div>YAY! Let me know how they turn out if you do make them! </div>

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_you-guys?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:696dcfbf-1586-43e9-9e34-8e61f29780f7Post:dbc8112b-110b-43b1-ac80-8719f10765be">Re: You guys!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: You guys! : Aww I hope your stomach starts to feel better and make yourself be in a better mood! No bad moods this close to Christmas :)
    Posted by rdr716[/QUOTE]

I hate being in this bad mood too, it's so unlike me this time of year.  I'm trying to shake it but I'm not sure how.  It's really annoying.....

Anniversary

• Good luck at your interview, Irish!

Danser- I love wrapping presents.  If I could stop by and wrap yours for you I totally would. And I hope you are feeling better soon! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hey ladies! I'm officially off until the 27th. And, I got someone to work for me on New Years Eve, so I get to go to a party at BF's BFFs house. I ordered a dress from Modcloth, and I really hope it fits. 

I have to finish a lot of wrapping as well as baking today. So far, I've made spice cookies, peppermint crumble bars, cinnamon sugar swirl bread, and the dough for sugar cookies. I have to roll out, cut and bake the sugar cookies, and make snowballs. 

Still-I'm sorry about your mom. I'll keep her in my thoughts. 

Rdr-The trick to not overcooking cookies is to take them out before they look brown at all. They keep cooking on the sheet for a while since it holds heat, and they harden up a lot even after you take them out of the oven. I also repinned your rotel cups the other day, and almost made them for a wine night with girls from work, but the store was out of the pre-made cups, and i wasn't about to spend the time cutting up and shaping the roll of dough.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_you-guys?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:696dcfbf-1586-43e9-9e34-8e61f29780f7Post:63048d9a-92f8-4ff7-8124-0ad2d69274ee">Re: You guys!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: You guys! : I guess I tend to over cook them? They always just end up hard and super dark on the bottom. I haven't made homemade cookies yet, though. I always buy the refrigerated ones or the kind in the bag that you mix. I have no idea if that has anything to do with it.  Also, my cookie sheets SUCK. I'm excited for the ones on my registry hahaha
    Posted by rdr716[/QUOTE]

I usually avoid cookie mixes.  I am a cookie snob. 

Assuming you are baking them for the right time, I would guess that your oven runs a bit hotter than it should.  Mine runs almost 25 degrees colder than it should.  If I set the dial for 350, it only heats up to about 330.  I bought a thermometer that you keep in the oven so I can make sure it is actually heating up to the correct temp.  If you bake this weekend I would suggest dropping the temp by about 25 degrees.  So if the cookies are supposed to bake at 350, set your dial for about 325. 

Also where is oven rack?  I usually do cookies on the top rack (at least halfway up, but not at the very top).  If they are too close to the bottom heating element, that could also be why they are burning on the bottom. 

As for your pans, I would suggest using parchment paper with them.  I use it and have no problems with cookies sticking to the pans or getting black on the bottom.  You should be able to find it at grocery stores, if not, Michaels carries it. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The rotel cups sound good!
    Still- I hope your mom get better and meanwhile I will keep sending thoughts and prayers out.

Anniversary

• 11 days off?  I'm so jealous rdr.  I'm off at 4 pm today (H gets off at 3!) and we have off Monday and Tuesday.  there's a chance for a winter storm on Christmas Day, so if it really comes this way I wouldn't be surprised if our workplaces are closed the day after Christmas.  and then they are talking about another storm system coming through around New Years!  I can handle that.

last night H and I cleaned the house top to bottom.  we are hosting a Christmas party tonight for the Spanish-speaking group my H is co-pastor of... I also made lemon cupcakes with whipped icing.  YUM.  I even polished the wood cabinets in the kitchen and scrubbed the floors.  so the house is beautiful!  too bad it's not like this ALL THE TIME.

I am so ready to be off work.  hardly anyone is here today!

H sent me this and I've been checking it out...  pretty cool!
    http://twistedsifter.com/2012/12/colorizing-historic-photos-gallery/
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_you-guys?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:696dcfbf-1586-43e9-9e34-8e61f29780f7Post:46b9f83e-3437-4c9c-b0bb-a19d4c89aebf">Re: You guys!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey ladies! I'm officially off until the 27th. And, I got someone to work for me on New Years Eve, so I get to go to a party at BF's BFFs house. I ordered a dress from Modcloth, and I really hope it fits.  I have to finish a lot of wrapping as well as baking today. So far, I've made spice cookies, peppermint crumble bars, cinnamon sugar swirl bread, and the dough for sugar cookies. I have to roll out, cut and bake the sugar cookies, and make snowballs.  Still-I'm sorry about your mom. I'll keep her in my thoughts.  <strong>Rdr-The trick to not overcooking cookies is to take them out before they look brown at all. They keep cooking on the sheet for a while since it holds heat, and they harden up a lot even after you take them out of the oven. I also repinned your rotel cups the other day, and almost made them for a wine night with girls from work, but the store was out of the pre-made cups, and i wasn't about to spend the time cutting up and shaping the roll of dough</strong>.
    Posted by jorja86[/QUOTE]

This is really good advice too! 

What are peppermint crumble bars?  I'm imagining some sort of brownie & candy cane treat...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Danser - Treat yourself to something yummy or nice today, maybe that'll help.

Jorja - Pics of your dress? I will try that tip with the cookies, thanks!

Heather - Oh I will try the parchment paper! And maybe I'll buy a thermometer to see about my oven as well. I usually have a rack in the middle of the oven. Thanks for the tips!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_you-guys?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:696dcfbf-1586-43e9-9e34-8e61f29780f7Post:7761c232-d9db-42ee-8d8b-f739c1afbbd0">Re: You guys!</a>:
    [QUOTE]11 days off?  I'm so jealous rdr.  I'm off at 4 pm today (H gets off at 3!) and we have off Monday and Tuesday.  there's a chance for a winter storm on Christmas Day, so if it really comes this way I wouldn't be surprised if our workplaces are closed the day after Christmas.  and then they are talking about another storm system coming through around New Years!  I can handle that. last night H and I cleaned the house top to bottom.  we are hosting a Christmas party tonight for the Spanish-speaking group my H is co-pastor of... I also made lemon cupcakes with whipped icing.  YUM.  I even polished the wood cabinets in the kitchen and scrubbed the floors.  so the house is beautiful!  too bad it's not like this ALL THE TIME. I am so ready to be off work.  hardly anyone is here today! H sent me this and I've been checking it out...  pretty cool! <a href="http://twistedsifter.com/2012/12/colorizing-historic-photos-gallery/" rel="nofollow">http://twistedsifter.com/2012/12/colorizing-historic-photos-gallery/</a>
    Posted by CocoBellaF[/QUOTE]

<div>I wish I had the energy to clean like that.. ever. I'm more an organizer and FI is more a cleaner so I guess we kind of balance each other except he doesn't get things as clean as I wish he would haha I guess I can't be picky, though, since I'm not doing it! </div><div>
    </div><div>Those pictures are really neat! </div>

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_you-guys?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:696dcfbf-1586-43e9-9e34-8e61f29780f7Post:db486d5a-d948-4dc5-bb2a-754b05087d4f">Re: You guys!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: You guys! : GOOD LUCK TODAY!  How are you feeling not having family around for Christmas? It'd be really hard for me.  Are you doing anything fun while your brother is in town? Are they stay for New Year's?
    Posted by rdr716[/QUOTE]

I'm actually really ok with it. My holidays are always really hectic, and driving from one place to another, and not really enjoying the day. It'll be nice to just enjoy time with FI.

I have NO clue what we are doing with my brother, but we will have a blast, I am sure. I know they are going to key west for a day, and to see our dads mom on the way home, but other than that, I don't know.
  • Peppermint Crumble Bars (clicky)

Dress:

With black tights and black heels and a cute cardigan
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_you-guys?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:696dcfbf-1586-43e9-9e34-8e61f29780f7Post:17e15aec-8d0d-4d7a-a93e-d61fd64a9f72">Re: You guys!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Peppermint Crumble Bars  (clicky) Dress: With black tights and black heels and a cute cardigan

<div>That recipe looks amazing and I love your dress! So cute!</div>

• Very cute dress!  I pinned the recipe so I can try it soon, thanks!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • cute dress... I love that color!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_you-guys?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:696dcfbf-1586-43e9-9e34-8e61f29780f7Post:17e15aec-8d0d-4d7a-a93e-d61fd64a9f72">Re: You guys!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Peppermint Crumble Bars  (clicky) Dress: With black tights and black heels and a cute cardigan

That dress is so cute!!!!!!!!!

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards