Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

BBQ food poll

Let me start out by saying that my question isn't whether or not I should have a BBQ buffet at my wedding, cause I am. So if you are against BBQ style weddings please refrain from replying.

I should also mention that there are lawn games at the reception as well so we will be mentioning (not sure how we will word it yet) to dress fairly casual. With that said, please don't base your opinions on whether the food is too "messy" for a wedding because of people's attire. Also it will be buffet style. We havn't decided on one yet, but there will be a vegetarian option too.

All the meals will include: Garden Salad, Pasta Salad, Corn on the Cob, Potato Chips, & Unlimited Soda all night.

A)
Country Style Ribs
Barbeque Chicken

Homemade Biscuits
Cranberry Sauce

B)
Country Style Ribs
Barbeque Chicken
Hamburgers
Homemade Biscuits
Cranberry Sauce

C)
Country Style Ribs
Barbeque Chicken
Hamburgers
Hotdogs
Homemade Biscuits
Cranberry Sauce

D)
Hamburgers
Hotdogs
Barbeque Chicken
Potato Salad
Fruit filled watermelon

E)
Hamburger
Barbeque Chicken
Potato Salad
Fruit Filled Watermelon
Coleslaw

Which would you serve your guests and why?
126 Invited image
37 Ready to Rock! image
9 Party Poopers image
80 Can't find the mailbox imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: BBQ food poll

• BrambleBerryBrambleBerry member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Option C because there is more options
  • ginadogginadog member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm doing something very similar but it's all being cooked Dutch oven style!  (pulled pork sandiwiches, bbq chicken and ribs)

I'd pick A.  Not as casual as just hamburgers/hotdogs.  I think two entree options are fine.  If you feel your guests might like hamburgers then go with B.
  • ShakeUpTampaShakeUpTampa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am torn but C seems to fulfill more but I would want the fruit if I had the choice lol.

We are doing buffet bbq as well and are having pulled chicken, pulled pork, hot dogs for children, a vegetarian pasta salad, a large salad bar, baked beans, lots of bread options (we are still working on other sides but will vote once rsvps are done)
    Nichole Tampa, FL BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_bbq-food-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:2c4f6ac5-a242-48ff-8003-b11646833deePost:f604cd8e-8b39-42db-b567-f4dd0011263b">Re: BBQ food poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am torn but C seems to fulfill more but I would want the fruit if I had the choice lol. We are doing buffet bbq as well and are having pulled chicken, pulled pork, <font color="#ff0000"><strong>hot dogs for children</strong></font>, a vegetarian pasta salad, a large salad bar, baked beans, lots of bread options (we are still working on other sides but will vote once rsvps are done)
    Posted by ShakeUpTampa[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your response (& everybody else's for that matter!).

If you weren't having children at the reception (we arn't), would you still include the Hotdogs in the meal? I'm worried we're gunna pay for them and nobody's gunna eat them. They are 1.90/pp so an additional $228 (before gratuity) since we have 120people. When there are 3 other options, I'm not sure anybody is gunna actually want a hotdog. I would hands down add them if we were having children.... but I just don't know for adults
    126 Invited image
    37 Ready to Rock! image
    9 Party Poopers image
  • edited December 2011
    I don't think you need the hamburgers and hot dogs.  Two protein/entrees plus a vegetarian option is way enough.  I am a vegetarian, so I don't have an opinion as to the meats, but I would go for biscuits and fruit as your sides (in addition to the salad and corn), not sure if you can mix and match from the packages.  I do agree with the PP that said that hamburgers and hot dogs can have a less formal feel. 
  • edited December 2011
    I'd suggest having at least either the hotdog or the hamburger in addition to the ribs and BBQ chicken because some people don't like the taste of BBQ sauce and that would be something different they could have.  I also have a weird thing about eating meat on the bone so I'd appreciate having a boneless option in the burger or hot dog. 

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_bbq-food-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:2c4f6ac5-a242-48ff-8003-b11646833deePost:8323a29e-2a5a-4b3b-a112-e782c6385727">Re: BBQ food poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'd suggest having at least either the hotdog or the hamburger in addition to the ribs and BBQ chicken because some people don't like the taste of BBQ sauce and that would be something different they could have.  I also have a weird thing about eating meat on the bone so I'd appreciate having a boneless option in the burger or hot dog. 
    Posted by NOLAbridealmost[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your reply...the no BBQ flavor idea is very helpful. Also you made me think of a question to ask the venue...is the chicken boneless? White meat or dark? I assumed it was boneless breast....but your probably right that it isn't. I for sure want a boneless option so I might just be going with Option B which includes the hamburgers, but not the hotdogs.

Though other replies are still welcome...no finals decisions are being made yet!
    126 Invited image
    37 Ready to Rock! image
    9 Party Poopers image
  • mpatt2122mpatt2122 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I choose option C. If it was me I would replace the cranberry sauce for potato salad.
    Anniversary
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I probably would not choose hotdogs personally if it were no kids BUT we have 5 invited and if a few people (close family friends absolutely can not find a baby sitter and we have seats available their children can come)---NO I DID NOT INVITE THEM but seeing as one mom of three gave me all three of her kids names I have a hunch her and her uncle might bring a total of 6...if I don't have space they will get the courtesy call of no space and will have to understand. I'm waiting that one out. However, I am not paying for any of the food, FI's older brother is so my biggest concern is I only eat one brand of baked beans and if he will leave sauces on the side of the meats (for that BBQ reason) probably will offer 2-4 sauce types like Sonny's does. There will be enough hot dogs if some adults want as well I'm sure.
  • cmp1986cmp1986 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I say B. I think it's good for a casual wedding. I think hot dogs might be a bit too casual for a wedding. But the selections for B are great and it gives everyone a variety! Now, I'm hungry!! LOL
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_bbq-food-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:2c4f6ac5-a242-48ff-8003-b11646833deePost:1a19b9ed-d5a6-447c-a645-cfb178a3c40c">Re: BBQ food poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]I choose option C. If it was me I would replace the cranberry sauce for potato salad.
    Posted by mpatt2122[/QUOTE]

I wish we could. When you pick the meal that comes with ribs &  chicken (the hamburger and hotdogs we're both add-on's for an additional price to meal C) it automatically comes with biscuits and cranberry. Whereas the Hotdog & Hamburger meal (D & E) dosen't come with anything but the salad, pasta salad, etc that I listed that came with all meal options. Because it was cheaper than the ribs & chicken meal we were able to afford to add on things like potato salad and a fruit bowl. We could still add those on to the meals with ribs but it would bring the price up higher than we prefer to keep it..the ribs meal is already pushing our food budget, but I think it's worth it since it's a main dish. Not sure a side dish is worth it when there are so many extra's (although potato salad IS our favorite!)

ShakeUpTampa- Good luck with the possibility of all those extra kids. Sounds stressful! Hopefully it will work out for you! We would totally have kids if we had the space...but as it is we're having to cut out a lot of close friends cause my family is so huge and the place only holds 120 (they prefer 110...so I'm already pushing the envelope on that one lol)

cmp1986- My thought's exactly. It's a fairly casual wedding, but not as casual as say..a beach wedding. I felt adding hotdogs would give it a tiny bit more of a casual feel, plus figured not many would get eaten, so I think we've decided against them.

Thanks ladies, you were very helpful! :)
    126 Invited image
    37 Ready to Rock! image
    9 Party Poopers image
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yea the ADULTS from that family are all important to me (It was my nanny and all her children) they are around my age or 40's for the older crowd....but if I invited ALL their kids that is 16...that is two whole tables lol so to be fair I didn't invite any of their children. If a crisis arises I will take care of it later..not the end of the world. My coordinator said worst case scenario we can set up kids table and break it down after dinner.
  • edited December 2011
    I just have to say...I think it's totally silly that your caterers won't work with you for ONE measly subsitution lol. I'm sure you've felt the same!

I think that sounds good, is it possible to offer 'adult' fixings for the hotdogs if you go that way? That'd look nice too, to have a small station with an assortment of condiments, pickles, hot peppers, etc. (perfect for a midnight buffet too!)
    "The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return." ~Moulin Rouge
  • topchef33topchef33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd go with A or B

Anniversary [center]My Chart[/center] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I would go with option B myself.

btw - I love that you seem to have given your whole wedding a lot of thought to make it a casual fun day.  The lawn games and your proposed menus fit this perfectly.  When people jump all over someone's idea, a lot of times it's because the B&G have decided that adults can't entertain themselves and need games to get them through the night.  When food gets criticized, more than likely it's because the B&G want to do pot luck or self catering neither of which is never a good idea.  Ever.

Good luck, and I hope you post some pics of your reception.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A is my first choice but B would be good just for more variety!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_bbq-food-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:2c4f6ac5-a242-48ff-8003-b11646833deePost:d79b7fe3-629f-4305-bea0-bc16f71290e8">Re: BBQ food poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would go with option B myself. btw - I love that you seem to have given your whole wedding a lot of thought to make it a casual fun day.  The lawn games and your proposed menus fit this perfectly.  When people jump all over someone's idea, a lot of times it's because the B&G have decided that adults can't entertain themselves and need games to get them through the night.  When food gets criticized, more than likely it's because the B&G want to do pot luck or self catering neither of which is never a good idea.  Ever. Good luck, and I hope you post some pics of your reception.
    Posted by GoodLuckBear14[/QUOTE]

Thanks :)  We didn't choose the lawn games because we thought they couldn't entertain themselves, we chose them because both me & FI love the idea of making it more like a backyard wedding (since we didn't have a backyard big enough to use for the reception) which is why we chose the venue we did. We are also thinking of having both a cake (a fun one though..nothing too fancy) and a cupcake tower...the cupcake tower I think fits the bill perfect for the type of wedding we're having. We're having a candy bar too...cause again, it fits the style I think.

I will however say that I've been to a potluck wedding (my cousin) and it was pulled off very nicely. I think it depends on your social circle of friends and your family as to whether this is tacky to the guests or not. My family actually thinks I'm ridiculous for NOT having a potluck and are slightly offended that they can't cook for my wedding. We went to a baby shower at another cousins house this weekend and all my aunts/uncles/cousins were wondering why she didn't have any of us cook for it and why she and her mom did it all herself. Potluck's are just the norm in with my family (which is more than 1/2 the wedding guests). So although I didn't want to go down that route (plus my venue dosen't alow outside catering or food to be brought in period) I figure BBQ style food was gunna be right up their ally. We are a rowdy bunch and don't really enjoy having to act proper at weddings lol They are all REALLY excited about the style wedding we're hosting and are already saying that they think it will be the best wedding they have ever gone too. So I have to pull this off nicely cause I don't want them to be disappointed!!! lol Besides the lawn games there is still a DJ and a dance floor. The coordinator told me you can hear the music perfectly from the lawn games so it will be nice for people to still have background music if they choose to play the games instead of dance (which Is my plan...we are NOT dancers lol)

<strong><font color="#ff0000">Thanks for all your reply's! We are gunna go with B :)</font></strong>
    126 Invited image
    37 Ready to Rock! image
    9 Party Poopers image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards