Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Help! White vs. Ivory Dresses...

I have found a dress I really love and it only comes in white or ivory.  I have very fair skin with pinkish undertones and I love the white dress, but I am not sure if I can pull it off.  I am okay with ivory, but I am not sure that the dress will be as pretty in ivory and I am scared to order it in ivory because I am afraid it will look yellowy or something odd and the style won't look as good. 

This is the dress: http://www.morilee.com/Bridals/Blu/dressint.php?idves=4708&idcat=1&idscat=24&npic=11&npag=2&bsel=

Any ideas or opinions?
Thanks!

Re: Help! White vs. Ivory Dresses...

• Options
    The truth is that only a handful of ladies can pull off all white. My dress was diamond white, which was a bit of a brighter sparkly white. I didn't like the all white. I never considered ivory, but think it is very pretty.

Given your skin tone, I would go with off white/diamond white or ivory. The sales lady where I bought my dress said stark white actually only looks good on darker skinned girls. While I have dark hair, I don't have very dark skin. I think I would have looked like a ghost in an all white dress.
  • Options
    I agree with PP, you should try to try it on in both shades, if not, try to find a dress from the same designer in the ivory to try on before you order.
  • Options
    I would suggest trying on both colors to see which you like best. It's not true that fair-skinned ladies can't wear white, I'd like to think I pulled it off just fine. ;)
  • Options
    MIne is ivory and I love it. I tried it on in ivory, and thought that if it was white it wouldn't look as nice.

Anniversary [center]My Chart[/center] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'd say ivory. I myself am fair skinned with pink undertones & the white was just too harsh on me & I choose an ivory dress. 
  • Options
    First see if you can try on a dress in ivory so you can compare it with the white one you want. My sister is very fair with pink undertones and she got a white dress and she looked gorgeous...but I'm a little browner but not brown enough to pull off white. So I opted for an ivory dress...mainly bc I loved the dress and the one I tried on was ivory. When I talked to the salels lady she said that ivory in the store is darker in color than any ivory you buy b/c the dresses in the store have been touched by a lot of people plus they are exposed to the elements. She assured me that my ivory dress will look white when it comes in. Good luck!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I agree, if you can try on both, do that first. I have pale skin with light hair, so the off white/ivory works better for me. And to be quite honest, I cant even tell that its not white. Good luck.
  • Options
    I have the same issue and I think that ivory would work for you, and would look fine for the dress. A big misconception is that ivory is old and yellow looking, it's really not. Looking at the two on top of each other is like looking at a really dark brown and black, you can see the difference there, but when they're separate, you really can't tell. But I agree, ivory looks better than white on probably like 95% of people, and you'll never know the difference.
    Sarah Kropf Wedding Countdown Ticker 98image 12image 4image
  • Options
    lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited November 2010
    I think ivory looks better on pretty much everyone who doesn't have dark skin.  Plus, you don't want your dress to be whiter than your teeth ;)

Remember that ivory isn't cream.  Most people won't even be able to tell that it's not white.
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    I'm a fair skinned redhead, and I'm going with ivory.  One of the dresses I tried on was white, and my oldest daughter informed me that I would not be wearing white--it looked horrible on me.
    C+D, Four kids, two kids-in-law, four grandkids
  • Options
    I am another vote for trying both colors and judging for yourself. I am fair with pink undertones and everyone, including myself, like the true white much better. I actually decided on true white before I picked an actual style of dress because the white just looked so much better. I just don't think it is true that only those with darker skin tones can wear white. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards