Florida-South Florida

So, I'm crazy, and starting from scratch. Help me please! long..

Okay, so here is the thing..This was an extremely difficult decision for us to make, I'm talking hours of crying here, but I think we figured out what we want to do.

What I have planned right now is a wedding with 200 people full on ceremony, cocktail hour, reception, the whole nine. This brings me to whopping total of more than $20,000 - $25,000. After many sleepless nights, I have come to the conclusion that I am not happy with this. Spending $20,000 on one day (yes, it's THE day - but still 1 day) is not sitting well with me at all. It could be because I grew extremely poor, I'm talking presents wrapped in tin foil some years. I grew up knowing the true value of a dollar. With that said, my dream has never been for a huge wedding with all the bells and whistles, my dream is to be married to the man of my dreams, buying our house, and completing our family. We can use that money to towards our real dreams, and I think it would make us much happier, less stressed, if we spent that on a house.  Now back to those hours of crying. I realized I wasn't crying because of the idea of not having the big full on wedding, but I was crying because I felt horrible for everyone else. I mean are really doing this for us or everyone else? Well if I was crying for them, then obviously this whole thing has been about them. 

So we've decided, we aren't canceling the wedding. What we would like to do, is to have a small ceremony of about 35 people at a beautiful park somewhere in Palm Beach County. And then throw a big party like reception afterwards for all of our family and friends. 

I don't really want to change my date, so I'm on a super time crunch here. I can't even believe that I'm actually doing this yet. I'm talking over a year of planning, hours spent on the computer researching, finding my perfect venue, driving down to Miami every weekend to meet vendors. Am I really considering taking that year of hard work and shoving it? The answer is: yes. I am. Because it's what we truly want. We want to have the people we're closest to around us when we exchange our vows to one another and a big celebration full of jokes, laughter, dancing, and happiness, and I truly believe that our new plan will give us all that. 

Okay, so now to the Help me please part. Before I spend every weekend scouring pbc for the most beautiful parks, I'd like to know if any of you have any recommendations. I've never been a beach person, so being on the water is not necessary to me. I'm a very green person, I love plants, flowers, and trees. I plan on keeping all my vendors except my caterer, as I've been experiencing some issues with them anyway. So any recs on affordable caterers or even restaurants that cater events would
be awesome. 

So I need recs on:

Please help!! I'm over the crying and now on to Mission Maybe Impossible.

*So Fla Board February Siggy* My babe and I
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: So, I'm crazy, and starting from scratch. Help me please! long..

• Raquel: I struggle with the cost of our wedding all the time and definitely feel that we're having the wedding for "other people".

I encourage you to do what feels right for you and your FI. Honestly, I'd rather put the $10k we're spending on the wedding towards a house.. but, my parents want the big shebang.

This is totally do-able! You're keeping all your vendors.. all you need to do is find a new venue and a new caterer-- you can do it!

I wish I could help but sadly I'm not too familiar with the parks around here. Okaheelee was very green and pretty when took our e-pics! John Prince Park is lovely as well!

Your new plan sounds beautiful and I don't think you're crazy! If we can do anything else to help, let us know!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Try Mounts Botanical Gardens
    http://www.mounts.org/weddings-and-ceremonies/

or the Sundy House in Delray Beach
  • Any budget for the site?

Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Thank you, Faith, so much for your kind words. :)

My budget for site is no more than a $1000. I'm already losing out on $750 from my old venue, so it's really all I can afford, would prefer to spend less. But, depending on what comes along with the rental I might be able to pull some more funds together for the venue. 

Bride2Be+2012 - I was looking at the Mounts Botanical Gardens website today. They are only $500 and that includes chairs. I'll be talking to my fiance tonight and we'll probably be calling them tomorrow to check it out, if they even have availability for my day. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you, Faith, so much for your kind words. :)

My budget for site is no more than a $1000. I'm already losing out on $750 from my old venue, so it's really all I can afford, would prefer to spend less. But, depending on what comes along with the rental I might be able to pull some more funds together for the venue. 

Bride2Be+2012 - I was looking at the Mounts Botanical Gardens website today. They are only $500 and that includes chairs. I'll be talking to my fiance tonight and we'll probably be calling them tomorrow to check it out, if they even have availability for my day. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I can totally understand where your coming from!!! Good luck with everything ... I wish I could recommend some places in PBC but I'm not familiar with that area!
  • Your wedding day will be just as special with 35 people as it would have been with 200.  Do what makes you and your fi happy and your family will understand.  I wish I could recommend a place, but I am not familiar with Palm Beach.   Good luck!

• I totally know how you're feeling!  The most important part of wedding planning is to make sure you and your fiance are happy with everything so I'm glad that you're doing what makes YOU happy!  I don't really know the Palm Beach area either but could recommend Parties by Pat for catering!  Violet, the catering manager, is super helpful and sweet.  Their food is really good too - they offer a free tasting before you book.  Hope this helps!
  • Okeeheelee park is huge. I love it there.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Dreher park has a lot of beautiful banyan trees and is right off of 95! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-south-florida_so-im-crazy-and-starting-from-scratch-help-me-please-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:67Discussion:f01328e3-7653-4a87-b2f8-d78f130f6211Post:e08dc88c-7f53-49a8-a9bb-f1bc8b558ef5">Re: So, I'm crazy, and starting from scratch. Help me please! long..</a>:
    [QUOTE]Dreher park has a lot of beautiful banyan trees and is right off of 95! 
    Posted by lizd82[/QUOTE]
    Totally forgot about Dreher! Lots of big trees- really pretty!

• Faith - I'd like to keep my budget on site under $1000

Thanks so much ladies for all your support. I hadn't thought of Dreher Park and will be contacting Mounts Botanical Gardens today.

I'm actually getting a little excited about the whole thing now. I'm up for the challenge, I have 2 months to make it work!

TY!! :D
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Good luck!! and good for you for doing what YOU want!!!
    image Le Creuset 5qt Oval French Oven in Caribbean Blue Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Americaters (supposedly good)
    Pepe Luzarraga (SUPER inexpensive)
    Catering Concepts

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards