Ohio-Columbus

appraising engagement & wedding ring?

I'm recently engaged and need someone to appraise my rings.  The ring was bought from Jared who has an outside appraiser come in once a month and would appraise both rings for $165.  Is this a good deal?  Who else does appraisals?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: appraising engagement & wedding ring?

• edited December 2011

When I got my rings they appraised them for free at the store.  Check out Worthington Jewlers in downtown Worthington.  I believe it is $50 there.  There is also Denigs across the street from Worthington Jewlers, but I dont know their price. $165 seems high to me.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • osugrassyosugrassy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you are doing it to add to your insurance, you should be able to use your bill of sale. It should have the information on it to get the insurance. (ask your insurance company) Also, make sure you ask for an insurance appraisal if that is what you will be using it for, because it will cost less on your home insurance vs. a retail appraisal! 
  • edited December 2011
    Hmmm, yea, $165 seems high to me too - We went through Andrews for all our rings and they did appraisals for no charge.  That's weird that they would charge that much if you bought their rings, I would call around, I'd bet you could find something much more reasonable. 
    Good luck :)

• a-ingrama-ingram member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We bought both my engagement ring and out wedding bands from Diamond Cellar and didn't pay anything for the appraisals.  Good luck!
  • AmyChristyAmyChristy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    CJ jewelers. 175 cleveland ave. 221 8588.  We decided to get a second appraisal outside of our Jeweler since my fiance bought the ring in California. CJ Jewelers was recommended by our insurance agent. The building is nondescript and kind of hidden downtown. But they were awesome. Incredibly sweet, quick (I had to have the ring sized), and inexpensive ($65 for sizing and appraisal).

Good Luck!
  • SarahM2012SarahM2012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    165 is really pricey; what does that fee get you?  There is always the village jewel. They are super nice and fair even though its vintage shop.  My ring was aparaised for free when it was bought. Worthington Jewlers and Denigs are awesome and fair as well. Worthington has lots of estate pieces and they make their own.  Love. Them. 

http://www.villagejewel.com/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards