Wedding Etiquette Forum

HOLA! (poll inside)

Hey there peoples!

So, the poor UND Fighting Sioux have lost the battle to keep their nickname, and you wouldn't BELIEVE how pissed off people are up here. P to the O'd. So much so, that most of their major donators are taking back their financial backing and contributions.

SO....

Also, what are the teams that still have offensive nicknames? I'm drawing a blank.
Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution

Re: HOLA! (poll inside)

• I have no clue what's going on with that case in particular, but I have read about similar cases.

I voted - People are overly sensitive

Not just about this, but pretty much about eveything.
  • What was the argument against? Were the Sioux people upset? Or was it some PC group taking on a cause?
  • people need to get over themselves.
  • I voted people are overly sensitive.  If it wasn't intended to be offensive I think people should get over it. 
    My Bio Updated 4/6/10
  • The Washington Redskins is often found offensive, and that's not even their nickname.
    Claire Elisabeth born at 27w1d on 2/20/11
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Well, the board of higher education made the ultimate decision, but they told UND that they wouldn't allow them into D1 athletics until they changed their name.

The Sioux people were mostly in support of it, and originally I had heard that they were the ones who were going to make the final decision, but that's not how it worked out.

UND offers pretty much free tuition for Native American kids to go to college. I DO think that at some point, they had made some promises they didn't keep to the tribes, but I thought that was getting fixed.

The Margarita Evolution
  • We need polls with multiple answer options. Clearly, people are too sensitive AND Christy is awesome. So I had to choose based on the conversation at hand.

My HS (now Manda's HS) mascot is the indian. There was some guy out east who sued the school system and tried to force them to change it, but our community rallied and several native americans spoke up and he was defeated. My great-grandfather was a chief, and not that it gives me much input, I know that he was a very proud man whose daughter helped grow our community AND helped start the schools here, including choosing the mascot of our HS. Mascots were chosen based on strength, honor and power. Trojans, Indians, Mountaineers... I don't understand how someone can be insulted by this. Call me insensitive.

• I was going to vote for something other than Christy is Awesome, but I know how overly sensitive you are :)
  • crfischecrfische member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2010
    I love that there's 2 votes for Christy is awesome :) I'll take what I can get.

Also, the hockey arena? Is freakin' GORGEOUS. http://www.theralph.com/

There are LITERALLY thousands of Sioux heads in the building. Tens of thousands. And that was on purpose.

The guys who donated the money, Ralph Englestad, apparently had it in his will that if they ever changed the nickname, he wanted that sucker torn down.

The Margarita Evolution
  • I am with Bec. These names were never intended to offend any one and they are supposed to be a sign of respect and power. What am I going to storm Notre Dame now because they portray Irish people who get drunk and like to fight? No!
  • I don't think its offensive.

If it was Savage Souix then yes, I would say that is offensive. But its not, so that is moot.
    image Married and Junk.
  • ditto CS.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Exactly, Bec.

I mean, it's hardcore Sioux country up here, and the mascot is pretty fully embraced. I wish J&K were around, she could probably attest to that.

I think it's gonna get ugly.

The Margarita Evolution
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_hola-poll-inside?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:71f42ee5-9aef-4c3d-91af-306cc9730a1cPost:cab83cab-0b28-450b-9adb-f4b3425cee05">Re: HOLA! (poll inside)</a>:
    [QUOTE]We need polls with multiple answer options. Clearly, people are too sensitive AND Christy is awesome. So I had to choose based on the conversation at hand. My HS (now Manda's HS) mascot is the indian. There was some guy out east who sued the school system and tried to force them to change it, but our community rallied and several native americans spoke up and he was defeated. My great-grandfather was a chief, and not that it gives me much input, I know that he was a very proud man whose daughter helped grow our community AND helped start the schools here, including choosing the mascot of our HS. Mascots were chosen based on strength, honor and power. Trojans, Indians, Mountaineers... I don't understand how someone can be insulted by this. Call me insensitive.
    Posted by BecW2be[/QUOTE]

I agree with all of this. 

My husband's high school mascot?  The Rebels.  That's a different story.  I'm amazed that no one has sued over that one.  Personally I'm not offended, but if we were plotting offensive mascots on a scale, it would blow Indians out of the water.

Also, Fishy is awesome.

Also also, Vally is purty. 
  • My college changed their mascot's name several years ago, from Redskins to Redhawks.  I can see how Redskins is more offensive than other names, but there were still a lot of people really upset.  Overall, I think people need to get over themselves.   
  • I see you super offended people up weighing in up there....

You should weigh in down here.

The Margarita Evolution
  • I never understood why people would be offended by it. It has always seemed to me that the team name/mascot is something good. Kind of like the team is striving to be more like them. Like what meaghanandmichael said, it is respect.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Mascots were chosen based on strength, honor and power. Trojans, Indians, Mountaineers...

Um, my HS mascot was the Angels.  Yeah...
  • My high school changed its mascot from the Indians to something else.  The name wasn't as offensive as everything that surrounded it - "tomahawk chop" and jokes about "scalping" other teams.  I think that mascot names like the "Fighting Sioux" are offensive.  Whether or not they intend to offend is not as important as the result.
  • Yeah, I want to hear the arguments from the offended voters above.
  • This happened with one of our minor league teams in Syracuse. They went from the the Chiefs to the Sky Chiefs, wha the hell is a Sky Chief?

• fyi I voted overly sensitive. GET.OVER. IT.

• I voted "offended too easily".

I'm still weirded out that Ole Miss is getting rid of the Rebels name. It seems a lot less offensive than many of the other names out there. I mean yeah, there's the whole "The Rebels were from the South, and the South had slaves" argument, but calling the Rebel mascot offensive is more of a stretch than calling the name "Redskins" offensive.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_hola-poll-inside?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:71f42ee5-9aef-4c3d-91af-306cc9730a1cPost:35e03fc7-bdcd-4643-b7df-25c89639c39b">Re: HOLA! (poll inside)</a>:
    [QUOTE]This happened with one of our minor league teams in Syracuse. They went from the the Chiefs to the Sky Chiefs, wha the hell is a Sky Chief?
    Posted by atayk21[/QUOTE]

A mystical character that wears a native american headdress, but also sports a unicorn and pegasus wings, maybe? That's how I'd draw it on my notebook, anyway. Right beside my liger.
  • haha Bec maybe you can design their new logo, it sounds pretty intimidating!

• edited April 2010
    U of I just got rid of Chief Illini.  A lot of people around here were peeved.

I know you said "still" but there is a town nearby called Pekin, and their high school mascot used to be the "chinks"  now they are the dragons.  It wasn't changed until the past 10 years (i believe) when they opened the new high school.
    Photobucket
  • Redskins is definitely offensive.  Sorry.  If there was a team called the Washington Blackfaces or something, no one would question that was offensive.

The Cleveland Indians' mascot is also offensive.  I don't mind names like "Indians," "Chiefs," etc., but the cartoon drawing of the American Indian isn't cool IMO.

I agree that many are offended too quickly with certain names, but also not being of that culture, I'm not going to understand in the same way why some people feel that "Fighting Sioux" or the like is so bad.
  • NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    It upsets me to live in a world where everyone is offended by everything, whether it makes sense to be or not. I feel gypped.
  • And clearly, I voted Christy is awesome--I don't even see why there would be other options presented in the poll.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards