Ohio-Cincinnati

Worst day EVER!!

Ok ohio's rules on marriage license suck. If one was married then divorced before We have to have a certified divorce document correct. Well what happens when you can't get that??!! Fi and are supposed to get married on saturday and the party will happen but not a legal marriage because kentucky can't find any record of fi's divorce and he can't find any of his papers and accoring to him the copy from his lawyer won't be certified. Well sh*t what the heck are we supposed to do!! We won't get this cleared up in time for saturday but I sure would like to be married to fi at some damn point in our lives!!! Some point in the month of may.

Re: Worst day EVER!!

• edited December 2011
    Can he contact his ex-wife and see if she has a copy of the divorce paperwork?  Perhaps the person you spoke to at the clerk's office wasn't the greatest employee, but if you can give them an actual case number (which you can get off the ex-wife's paperwork), they might be more helpful.
  • onlymelsonlymels member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No the ex wife lives like 5 hours away and I seriously doubt she has the papers. And if she does she won't help.
  • paintgirlpaintgirl member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    How long ago did they get divorced? UK has a free database search for divorces up to 1993. http://ukcc.uky.edu/vitalrec/

The state has online records at http://apps.kycourts.net/CourtRecords/. This might give you the case number.

Otherwise, keep calling! Call the county they were divorced in, the state clerk's office again, call everyone you can think of.

I highly doubt it's only Ohio that wants to confirm a divorce before allowing another marriage.

Good luck - keep us posted!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Vegas doesn't require divorce papers. You can get a marriage license at costco there!! Lol oh well. We got ahold of fi's lawyer and we're going down there tomorrow to see if he can get us some papers. Thank god.
    edited December 2011

Vegas is like another planet... I keep telling my mother we're getting married at a Vegas drive through. Set the bar low. That's my plan...

Good luck with the papers!

• edited December 2011
    Whoa! I got married in Vegas (reception in Cincinnati) and it was quite classy. But yes, in Vegas, you just have to give the date of divorce and the county - no additional paperwork needed. Which worked out for me since DH is divorced and couldn't even remember what year it was. His friend is an attorney and was able to look it up for him through the county. I don't know how it differs for for KY though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    edited December 2011
    2BMrs - I wasn't dissing Vegas! I know you can have a fabulous wedding there. I was referring to those drive through chapels. It could have been in any city. Drive through weddings, I was dissing. Vegas in general, not so much. :)
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well he was divorced in a Ky court down closer to tenn. And the people that live down there are total hillbillies. So I'm not to suprised that the papers got messed up. We live and are getting married in Cincinnati and Cincy requires papers.
  • edited December 2011
    oh no, thats horrible! I hope you get it all straightened out
  • KrisseybabyKrisseybaby member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey... I don't know if this helps or not but I was divorced in Ohio and getting remarried in Ohio.. And just checked to make sure my copies from the lawyer are good enough and was told they are as long as they are notorized copies.. so tell him not to rule that out yet.. also, the lawyer he used should have anything he would need also.
  • clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Hopefully it's straightened out now!  Best wishes for your wedding this weekend!
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards