Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

vegetarian options

we would like to offer our guests a vegetarian option besides pasta
any ideas!

Re: vegetarian options

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_vegetarian-options-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:55a9429e-f809-4304-9603-978f7c49a7e4Post:f0203bea-f170-4068-9209-56290b7c6bc2">Re: vegetarian options</a>:
    [QUOTE]What does your cater have any suggestions? A few off the top of my head are  a tofu  and vegetable stir-fry, bbq tofu with a baked potato and a veg, or a blackbean burger with sides. I know you said you want something other then pasta but what about gnocchi with grilled vegetables and a <strong>pesto</strong> sauce.
    Posted by snippet17[/QUOTE]

Pesto isn't vegetarian if it has parmesan cheese in it (which most pestos do).
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_vegetarian-options-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:55a9429e-f809-4304-9603-978f7c49a7e4Post:54793d97-3bca-4850-8b34-967f539cf6c4">Re: vegetarian options</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: vegetarian options : Pesto isn't vegetarian if it has parmesan cheese in it (which most pestos do).
    Posted by tiny speck[/QUOTE]

<div>It's not vegan if it has cheese.  Most people who identify as vegetarians eat cheese.  If you're referring to animal rennet, that's another issue of whether the vegetarians care, but you can get parmesan cheese that is made with microbial or vegetable rennet. </div><div>
    </div><div>OP, do you need this option to also work for vegans?   </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_vegetarian-options-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:55a9429e-f809-4304-9603-978f7c49a7e4Post:c9c420eb-d42b-4424-a02d-e55faaf0874b">Re: vegetarian options</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: vegetarian options :<strong> You can make pesto without cheese. I make one without pine nuts and cheese all the time</strong>.  Vegans are the ones that do not eat cheese, the OP did not say anything about vegan.  If she needs any, I have other suggestions for vegans too. There are some cheese that is not vegetarian friendly, but many are.  And when some vegetarians eat out they do not ask a waiter or watiress where the rennet comes from for the cheese. 

<div>
    </div><div>Pesto is pine nuts and basil.  I've never had one with cheese.  Usually the cheese if put on top if you want, but it doesn't constitute a pesto.  Also, I'd ask your vegetarians if they eat cheese- I know many people who are vegetarian and they all eat cheese, even cheese with animal bi product.</div><div>
    </div><div>How about a stuffed portabella?</div>

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_vegetarian-options-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:55a9429e-f809-4304-9603-978f7c49a7e4Post:612cfb59-3e2f-4d95-b5b6-9bd8dd30fa63">Re: vegetarian options</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: vegetarian options : <strong>Pesto is pine nuts and basil.  I've never had one with cheese.  Usually the cheese if put on top if you want, but it doesn't constitute a pesto.</strong>  Also, I'd ask your vegetarians if they eat cheese- I know many people who are vegetarian and they all eat cheese, even cheese with animal bi product. How about a stuffed portabella?
    Posted by melb2013[/QUOTE]

<div>Umm, most pesto I know have cheese.  I know DH's does.</div>

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • OP, what are your other options? Is your meal kind of Italian? Classic American? That might help us come up with some ideas. Spinach and cheese enchiladas would be good for a mexican theme or a back yard cook out type of wedding, but not if the other options are carved roast beef/turkey, mashed potatoes, rice pilaf and grilled asparagus, you know? I agree that stuffed portabellos are great, but not everyone loves mushrooms.

And most pesto is made with parmesan. Just a touch, which gives it a salty/nutty quality. I use basil, pine nuts, salt, garlic and olive oil in my pesto, no parm. It's cheaper. :) Also, parmesan cheese is almost always made with animal rennet. I'm the kind of vegetarian who is "don't ask don't tell" about animal rennet when I'm not at home. I don't buy cheese with animal rennet, but if I'm at a restaurant, I don't research or ask about their cheese ingredients. *shrug*
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Yeah, go to your grocery store and check the ingredients on the pesto there... chances are it will have parmesan (and perhaps other cheeses too).
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_vegetarian-options-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:55a9429e-f809-4304-9603-978f7c49a7e4Post:7b3245e0-c44c-4e24-8474-91fd7e92919c">Re: vegetarian options</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Also, parmesan cheese is almost always made with animal rennet. I'm the kind of vegetarian who is "don't ask don't tell" about animal rennet when I'm not at home. I don't buy cheese with animal rennet, but if I'm at a restaurant, I don't research or ask about their cheese ingredients. *shrug*</strong>
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

Most of my vegetarian friends are the same way 

So are my restaurant eating Kosher friends.  They might use separate plates, pans, etc at their homes, but they don't ask at restaurants or other people's home.  Also long as the  meat and dairy aren't on same dish at the same time they are fine.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_vegetarian-options-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:55a9429e-f809-4304-9603-978f7c49a7e4Post:632d73b6-6646-4b13-a3bb-b64450b88734">Re: vegetarian options</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: vegetarian options : It's not vegan if it has cheese.  Most people who identify as vegetarians eat cheese.  If you're referring to animal rennet, that's another issue of whether the vegetarians care, but you can get parmesan cheese that is made with microbial or vegetable rennet.  OP, do you need this option to also work for vegans?   
    Posted by jessicabessica[/QUOTE]
    no i dont
  • OP, how about addressing all of the other questions people asked you?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_vegetarian-options-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:55a9429e-f809-4304-9603-978f7c49a7e4Post:cce52b4f-3737-41f2-abda-85e40707f012">Re: vegetarian options</a>:
    [QUOTE]What about vegetarian buffet?Everybody can choose their loves freely!
    Posted by Catherine&88[/QUOTE]
    Im not sure we can do a entire buffet of it
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_vegetarian-options-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:55a9429e-f809-4304-9603-978f7c49a7e4Post:f0203bea-f170-4068-9209-56290b7c6bc2">Re: vegetarian options</a>:
    [QUOTE]What does your cater have any suggestions? A few off the top of my head are  a tofu  and vegetable stir-fry, bbq tofu with a baked potato and a veg, or a blackbean burger with sides. I know you said you want something other then pasta but what about gnocchi with grilled vegetables and a pesto sauce.
    they suggest pasta
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_vegetarian-options-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:55a9429e-f809-4304-9603-978f7c49a7e4Post:e64ca9b9-3b1f-45db-a618-dbc0a1a417c0">vegetarian options</a>:
    [QUOTE]we would like to offer our guests a vegetarian option besides pasta any ideas!
    Posted by cookdt5312014[/QUOTE]

<div>These are some of the options we are considering for our wedding in September. Some of them are pretty seasonal but I think they could work anytime!</div><div>
    </div><div>1) roasted butternut squash and goat cheese ravioli with sage brown butter sauce-- this is technically pasta but more exciting than your typical pasta dish, and super tasty IMO! </div><div>2) roasted vegetable "Napoleon" (stacked vegetables including portabella, eggplant, etc.) over garlic polenta </div><div>3) seasonal vegetables in red mole sauce with queso blanco and crema over cilatro rice (this was our caterer's suggestion)</div><div>
    </div><div>Good luck! The fact that you are asking questions and trying to choose a good vegetarian option is really awesome. Your veggie guests will really appreciate it!</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards