Ohio-Cincinnati

Post your list of possible vendors!

I am still early in the planning process--my wedding isn't until August 2011--but I figure it's never to early to starting planning ;)

Here is my current list of local vendors that I'm considering for each category.  I figured this could be a good board to share vendor names with each other and maybe discover a new vendor or two!

Reception venue-Embassy Suites, The Marriott, The Radisson (all downtown rivercenter locations)

Cake-Cakes by Marilyn, BonBonerie, Spoon Fulla Sugar

Florists-none really stand out so far. help!!

Photography-Ron Shuller--His work is wonderful but I have a feeling he's VERY expensive so I would love to learn about some less expensive alternatives!

Invitations-Frills & Forever

Limo-Gold Key Transportation

DJ--none, looking for recommendations!

AND JUST FOR FUN...

Where do you plan on registering? My fiance and I are thinking Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, and registering for miscellaneous gift cards...

Honeymoon-El Dorado Royale in Riviera Maya, Mexico

When We Said "I Do:" August 6, 2011

My Newlywed Blog: The "I-Do Diaries"

Re: Post your list of possible vendors!

• rschuckmanrschuckman member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Date:  May 14, 2011

Church:  Knox Presbyterian Church in Hyde Park

Reception Venue:  Music Hall

Reception Caterer:  Jeff Thomas Catering ???(we are meeting with him tomorrow)

Rehearsal/Welcome Dinner Venue:  Ault Park Pavilion

Rehearsal Dinner Caterer:  La Petite Pierre ???(we are meeting next Thursday)

Photographer:  Kortnee Kate Photography

Videographer:  Studio Z Films

Floral Design:  Ford-Ellington (although we're still waiting on an estimate)

Cake:  Maribelle Cakery

Limo:  Person to Person Limo our of Louisville (we wanted a vintage white Bentley).  We still have yet to book a regular limo here in town.  I am thinking we might use Motortoys or Limousine Associates.

Band/DJ:  Leroy Ellington & The E-Funk Band (we booked our DJ through the band)

Make-up:  Penny with Brideface or Chenese Bean (I have consultations booked)

Hair:  Thinking Sam Hills

Stationery:  Bella Figura Letterpress

Registry:  Probably Macy's, Bed Bath & Beyond, & William Sonoma.  We'd prefer cash though because already have a house and have everything we need.  We would however, like to upgrade out pots/pans and bakeware.
    Anniversary
  • rschuckmanrschuckman member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    P.S.  I do believe Ron Shuller is a medium priced photographer.  His work is very good.

DJ's that get a lot of recs. on here include:  Mark McFadden, DJ Toad, DJ Butlers, Queen City DJ's, and Brian Childs.

In my opinion, it's never to early to book vendors (okay, maybe 3 years is a little much, haha).  You are 1 year and 2 months way, so you're good to go!
    Anniversary
  • jennearstonjennearston member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ceremony-Reception
    FI parents have a lot of land in Indiana, so we are using that for our ceremony, our reception will be in an oversized barn (hope it doesn't rain.)

Photographer - Studio 3
    Videographer - Hatfield Productions
    Flowers - Oasis
    DJ - either eclipse sound, or zach of all trades
    Cake - it's a toss up.
    Limo - none
    Makeup - My cousin :)
    Its offical...I am married!!
  • adfrasure1adfrasure1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Reception venue-Dayton Art Institute
    Cake-No idea yet, trying to decide, We like the Cake Ladies in Springboro and Ele Cake in Dayton

Florists-None, still deciding

Photography-We really like Mark Garber but he is really expensive, We are looking at a few others

Invitations-The Envelope, LOVE THEM!!! Annie is terrific

Limo-Not having

DJ--FI is suppose to be looking, but any suggestions would be great

Where do you plan on registering? We are not doing a regular registery, we are actually doing a honeymoon registery instead!

Honeymoon-Possibly Costa Rica
  • edited December 2011
    adfrasure1 - I am also a Dayton bride. We are using Dan Edwards as our DJ. I saw him at a wedding about 2 yrs ago and he did fantastic. He is very professional and kept the party going. Here is the website if you are interested
    www.djedwardsgroup.com/" target="_blank">www.djedwardsgroup.com
  • mandriettimandrietti member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try Michael Bambino for photography.  Michael himself is almost 4500, but he was booked for our date but loved the studio so much after searching so many that we booked another photographer there for 2900.  They are doing our videography too.  We hated Studio 3, loved Steph Carson (about 3600 if I remember) and also loved Kortnee Kate (booked for our date).  Mark Garber in Dayton was booked too.

We just got back from Riviera Maya and stayed at Secrets Capri and it was fabulous!  Beach had some seaweed, but the hotel was gorgous, amenities are insane and food was ridiculous.  I definitely recommend the Secrets hotels (they are adult only).  The Secrets Maroma has a little better beach, so it might be a better option, although it's a lot more than the Capri and since we were just going for vacation, we didn't splurge on that.  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Photographer--Marc Wavra (Marcwavra.com) is amazing!  And so reasonably priced
    I am my beloved's, and my beloved is mine.
  • edited December 2011
    Married 4.24.10

Reception - Embassy Suites RiverCenter A+++++++++++++
    Cake - Cakes by Marilyn A++++
    DJ - DJ Butlers (Rhett Frambes) A++++
    Photographer - Lucky Clover A+++
    Florist - Krogers (Cold Springs) A+
    All Stationary - DIY
    Makeup - DIY
    Hair - Jen Dutle (Identity) A+++

The only complaint that I have about any of my experiences was when I took my dress to get cleaned prior to my wedding (sample dress). Vanovers Cleaners in Reading damaged my dress and was very rude when confronted and did not cooperate when dealing with it. They get an F-----!

We registered at BB&B and Sears. I HIGHLY recommend NOT registering at Target. They do not allow many returns, only 3 a year, regardless if the item was on your registry or not! They aren't easy to deal with!

We HM'd in Jamaica! I also highly recommend the Gran Bahia Pricipe in Runaway Bay!! So beautiful!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Photographer reco- Tracy Doyle
    Videographer reco- Poetic Cinema.  Dan is amazing!!!!

Florist:  I'm using Fassler and have been pleased thus far.  We still have a couple months to go before the wedding though so we'll see  :)

**Both are reasonably priced.

I second the reco of not registering at Target.  I have only heard nightmare stories about returning.  Crate and Barrel is awesome for registering!
  • edited December 2011
    @clearheavens - What kind of venue are you looking for and what's your budget?  I'm also looking for a place where I can bring in my own food so I've got a pretty good list of places so far.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-cincinnati_post-list-of-possible-vendors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:108Discussion:511178fc-8a1f-4c80-bed7-d86bb6ed66f1Post:a25214a6-94b5-4d71-96e4-1d43cba0367e">Re: Post your list of possible vendors!</a>:
    [QUOTE] Reception Venue:   [TBD] It's really hard to find places that lets us cater our own ethnic food, need recommendations! [/QUOTE]
  • KEJohnson04KEJohnson04 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Date:  July 10th, 2010

Ceremony & Reception:  Contemporary Arts Center

Officiant: Bill Proud

Caterer:  Funky's Catering

Lighting: Vincent Lighting

Dress: Bridal & Formal

Bridesmaid Dresses: Bridal & Formal

Alterations: Margaret Oldfield and Stitches by Pauline

Rehearsal Dinner:  Nada

Photographer:  Tine Hoffman (tm photography)

Videographer:  Robert Mills (mills films)

Floral Design:  Katie Elfers

Cake:  Bakery Hill (Cincinnati State)

Limo:  Jimmy's Limo

DJ: Party Pleasers (Jeff)

Make-up:  Nancy of Brideface

Hair:  My cousin

Stationery:  Yochi (do not recommend)

Registry:  Macy's, Bed Bath & Beyond, Crate & Barrel

More info on my wedding website :) 
    Let me know if you have any questions about my planning so far.
  • jenn1981jenn1981 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i got married in 2008 but just thought i'd post a few of my favorite vendors for anyone who is still looking for recs...

photographer- Bob White with White Photography. www.whiteimagery.com (he is medium priced but was awesome and we STILL are getting compliments on our photos)

videograper- Dan Roark with Roark Productions. www.roarkproductions.com ( i didnt actually use him bc he was a guest at my wedding, but he is a videographer at a local tv station and his work is amazing. and cheap!!)

invitations- www.blusterydaydesign.com (prob my fav vendor! i chose to do all designing and correspondence through email and then just pick everything up when they were finished. it was SUPER convenient and they were so cheap that i ended up ordering a ton more from them!)

DOC- Kristen Kloth with Tres Chic. www.treschiceventplanning.com (lifesaver!)
    Jenn & Jason
    September 27, 2008
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • jenn1981jenn1981 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    oh- and for those still looking for venues, i also def rec mine-
    www.lakelyndsay.com
    extremely reasonable and you can bring in your own caterer and alcohol! i had an outdoor ceremony at a gazebo on the lake and then a huge indoor reception all on the same property.
    Jenn & Jason
    September 27, 2008
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    For your photographer look at Nixon Photography. www.nixonphotography.com. Michelle Jackson is the co-owner and her work is amazing. Their packages are reasonable and will work with you to customize what you are looking for. PM me if you want more info.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Reception and Ceremony venue: Music Hall
    DOC: Tres Chic
    Photographer: Kortnee Kate
    Videographer: Studio Z films
    Cake: Maribelle
    Caterer: Vonderhaar's
    Bridal gown and Bridesmaids: Bridal and Formal
    Makeup: Mollie with Brideface
    Hair: Rachel feldman and Rachel Gardner Bridgeford
    Limo services: A savannah nite
    Tuxes: Skeffingtons
    Stationary: Poeme in Hyde Park
    DJ: DJ Toad
    Florist: Courtenay Lambert
    Lighting: Goodwin Lighting
    Registries: Macys, Bed, Bath and Beyond, and Crate and Barrel
    Honeymoon: Maui, Oahu, and the big island
  • edited December 2011
    Reception venue- Hilton Continental Ballroom
    Cake-Maribell cakery
    Florists-Oasis or Mother in Law
    Photography- Studio 3 Photography (studio3photographygallery.com) loved them!
    Videography- Hatfield Productions
    Limo-Considering Sanannah Nite but we may rent towncars
    DJ-Drop Zone or Dj Butlers We LOVED both and cant decide
    Make up- We may go with Eros or Chenese Bean

Where do you plan on registering? Pottery Barn and Macy's.

Honeymoon-Torn again! We were all for skiing, and then it was Europe because we have family in Italy and Corsica  but we also LOVE Turks and Caicos. I think I may be more excited about the honeymoon...is that wrong? We will be gone for multiple weeks so I think being off work and alone time with FI makes me super happy!
  • pengo314pengo314 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ceremony: St. Cecilia's in Oakley
    Reception: Drees Pavilion
    Photographer:  Tracy Doyle
    Cake: Sweetwater
    Caterer: Jeff Thomas
    Bridal gown:  Big Rock Little Rooster
    Bridesmaids: Bridal and Formal
    Makeup: ??
    Hair: Katie at Swane on Main
    Limo services: ?
    Tuxes: Barkley's (place in my hometown)
    Stationary: Margot Madison
    DJ: Kyle Ruschman from DJ Butlers
    Florist: A New Leaf
    Lighting: ?
    Registries: Macys, Bed, Bath and Beyond, and Williams Sonoma
    Honeymoon: Sunshine Coast, BC
  • nadia.hilenadia.hile member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here are some of my recos (just got married a month ago!):

Venue:  Aston Oaks (www.astonoaksgolfclub.com) was WONDERFUL to work with (Lindsey is the coordinator) and offers affordable options if you are interested in the Golf Club route for both the wedding ceremony and/or reception.  The course made for beautiful photos, too!

Photographer: Reshon Photography (www.reshonphotography.com) - he's based in Chillicothe but travels to Cincinnati regularly for weddings/events. 

Bridal gown:  Bridal & Formal in Reading was great; they even helped me get my dress in earlier than expected b/c of my travel schedule (I was planning my Cincy wedding from a distance)!

Makeup:  Glossa Makeup Artistry (www.glossamakeup.com) - Lindsey is the owner and does beautiful work, plus she comes to you wherever you are getting ready and is so sweet and fun to work with!

Hair:  Eros Salon (www.erossalon.com) - Sarah "Kansas" Stear is awesome; she's great at incorporating small braids into her up dos (looks really cool) and also goes on location.  Really nice and funny (in a good way!) to work with.

Stationary:  Wedding Paper Divas (www.weddingpaperdivas.com) is affordable and offers tons of styles.  They were great at helping with questions via their online chat function and through email when needed, and all of our stationery turned out beautiful (save the dates, wedding invitations, place cards, bridal shower invites, etc).  Also, there's always a coupon or sale going on, so you should never pay full price on that site ;)

DJ:  Kellinghaus DJ (www.513dj.com) was great.  I loved that you can manage your song lists online via their website vs. having to do it all in person since I was planning my wedding from a distance.

Limo/ transportation:  My only DO NOT RECOMMEND is A Savannah Nite b/c we had major issues we're still trying to get resolved.  They sent a smaller bus than we ordered at the end of our reception and left nearly 20 guests (including my hubby and me) stranded!  They're not willing to fix it or refund $$, so I've had to dispute charges through my credit card and with the Better Business Bureau :(  You don't want to have to worry about this sort of thing on your wedding day - trust me!!

Registries:  Crate & Barrel (my personal fave)!!  I also used Bed Bath & Beyond, Target and Pampered Chef to give people lots of options :)

BEST OF LUCK - enjoy the planning and most of all your special day!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards