New Jersey

Photography prices?

I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea for how much an average photographer might be.  My fiance and I were looking at some photographers and we were not sure what is considered expensive and what is a good price.  We were looking for a photographer that also put together nice albums.  If you could help us out we would really appreciate it.  Thank you!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Photography prices?

• Denise91980Denise91980 member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    It really depends....you could spend 1000 or you could spend 6000..depending on what you are looking for....I am spending 2000 and it includes all my proofs, rights to photos, thank you cards, 3 albums and other larger photos....some girls around here spend more and some spend less.
    BFP #1 1/1/11 EDD 9/10/11 dx:no hb DNC on 2/2/11 BFP #2 12/28/11 natural m/c on 2/6/12 BFP#3 2/16/13 dx:ectopic on 2/27 (given methotrexate)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It is kind of something that you can spend what you want on.  Some photographers start at below $2000, and some start at above $20,000.  It can also be hard to compare prices sometimes because what's included can vary so much from photographer to photographer (and what people choose to have included can vary from couple to couple).  So if you hear someone paid $5000, that's great -- but did it include an album? parent albums? videography?  If the deliverables are very different, you're comparing apples to oranges.  And as photography is a very artistic and subjective field, levels of talent and experience vary greatly (and are not infrequently reflected in the price ... the lowest price is not necessarily the best deal, even where the deliverables are the same).

General guideline is that 10-15% of your wedding budget should go to photo + video.  I'd maybe come up with a budget that way and go from there.

I'd say that the average amount spent here is between $3000-$5000, but again that might or might not include a lot of things.  And an average number should really just be a guideline to help you figure out whether you're dealing with a budget photographer or a more splurgey one in evaluating your options-- it doesn't mean that you can't spend more or less than the average bride.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm spending $3,600...that includes unlimited pics, all pics on a DVD, online viewing of pics, I think about 700 proofs in a box, one 10x10 album, and two photographers for 13 hours of coverage. We went with a middle of the road package, could have gone higher or lower.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • hcer0708hcer0708 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Everyone that i went to see that had albums included in the package started at around $3,400. 
  • edited December 2011
    We were considering a package that is about $3,500.  It is for 7 hours of coverage for one photographer, a one hour engagement session, a 12X12 flush mount album with 30 pages, full rights to all of the proofs which we can access online and a DVD of the proofs, and a $200 credit for any additional prints or portraits we may want.  What do you all think of this package, is it pricey or about right?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://northjersey.weddings.com/main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_photography-prices?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:fa3732ca-d314-4f3f-a746-801aed52c512Post:a654d88d-2245-42a9-99b0-96d4acf4ef8d">Re: Photography prices?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We were considering a package that is about $3,500.  It is for 7 hours of coverage for one photographer, a one hour engagement session, a 12X12 flush mount album with 30 pages, full rights to all of the proofs which we can access online and a DVD of the proofs, and a $200 credit for any additional prints or portraits we may want.  What do you all think of this package, is it pricey or about right?
    Posted by Barbie101007[/QUOTE]

<div>Pricey is all relative.  I mean, albums alone can cost $3500.  That sounds like a great price to me, and definitely not pricey, but it is only a good deal if the photographer is good.  Not all are.  Photography is art and pricing is based on a lot more than just the number of prints you get and what kind of album you get.  It could be a ripoff if the album is filled with photos that I could have taken.</div><div>
    </div><div>If you tell us the names of photographers you're looking at, someone may have some specific feedback about them that may be helpful.</div>
  • inkulio73inkulio73 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not all albums are created equal.  So, if you're just shopping by looking at a list of packages and prices without actually seeing and feeling the album, you might be disappoined in the end.  Just sayin'...

I don't know how any photographer can be in business for very long by charging "under 2000" for all the proofs, rights to photos, thank you cards, 3 albums and other larger photos. Three high quality albums will cost the photographer more than 2000 to make.

You're probably going to hear about this photographer in the news next year because he went bankrupt, is nowhere to be found, and all his brides are sitting there with no pictures from their wedding day.
  • edited December 2011
    We got a package that included just about everything we wanted for $2500. Then we added a thing or to for another hundred for a grand total of $2600.
    I agree with PP'ers, prices are all over the place! What is your budget exactly?
    BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Being married is a real thriller! =)

• hcer0708hcer0708 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    To me 7hrs doesnt seem like enough time. What exactly is your budget?
  • NJgurl19NJgurl19 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Denise91980 , who is your photographer?   Cutiepie12702 can you rec yours as well. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Gabriella26Gabriella26 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are spending $3000 for 12 hours of coverage with 2 photographers. OUr package is A la carte so we can choose what we want to spend the money on once we see the pics. Albums come in different sizes (different numbers of pictures) and the reason I liked not having a specific package is b/c I havent seen my pics yet...I don't know what size album Im going to want.
    And the a la carte menu includes everything from thank you cards, albums, parent albums, enlargements, Proofs, everything!
    215 invited image 171 ready to party image 40 Missing out image 4 making us wait image RSVP Date is Oct 23rd
  • sgdc2011sgdc2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are spending Around 3500 for an engagement session with 1 8x10 and 2 5x 7 prints, guest sign in book using picture from the engagement sessions, unlimiited hours of coverage, 2 photographers, 1 8x 10 and 2 5x 7 prints from the wedding, online veiwing gallery, 10 x 10 album, disk of all the pictures with the rights to reprint them and I think that may be it.  We took his package and adjusted some things to fit into our budget and with what we wanted.
  • littledaisieslittledaisies member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm using Jorge Garcia. I'm spending around $3500. That includes engagement pictures, wedding day coverage, a leather album, digital proofs and thank you cards with our favorite picture.
  • edited December 2011
    what i did first was figured out what i wanted out of my photographer.. album styles, number of albums, proofs, thank yous, and then i started pricing out photographers alot of them will let you create your own package... then i figured out okay this photographer for all this is 4k this one is 2k and from there i just picked someone i liked..
  • Jdelli27Jdelli27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Does anyone know how much La Moda studio goes for? They are located in NJ.
  • NJgurl19NJgurl19 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Can you girls give the name of your photographer please.
    TIA :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards