Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

How do you feel about consignment dresses?

My fiance hates the idea of me wearing a used dress....but most of the dresses that I love are out of my price range.  There is a really nice consignment store nearby that has some beautiful dresses....there is a beautiful dress there that is being sold for $500, and that includes cleaning and alterations.  Plus the storeowner told me that she thinks that the seller will probably take less for it, because it's been on the rack for a year.  Also, there is a dress for sale on kijiji that I love....being sold for less than half the retail price. 

Just looking for opinions here...let me know what your thoughts are!

Re: How do you feel about consignment dresses?

• Options
    I am all for this!! If I can find a preowned dress that I love [or even rent one] for my big day, I probably will. This way you can get the amazing dress you want for less than half the price! And really, these dresses are only worn for a few hours. What difference does it make? It seems wasteful to me to buy a brand new dress unless you can't find one that you love preowned.

It is important that you get to wear the dress you love - whether it is new or not. And your fiance should support that. A new dress that is only so-so because that's all you could afford, or a preowned dress that is amazing? It's a no-brainer to me!
  • Options
    I love consignment stores in general so I say, why not?!  If it's a dress you love and you can get a great deal on it, your FI should support you in buying it.  Who cares if it's already been worn once?  As long as it's in good condition, that shouldn't matter.  I think my DH would have loved if I found my dress cheaper at a consignment shop because it would have saved a lot of money!  lol
    BFP #1 Sept. 2011 EDD 5.25.12 missed MC on 11.17.11 | BFP #2 4.30.12 11dpo EDD 1.10.13 | Grow, baby, grow!
    01.03.09 {MARRIED BIO}
    imageimageimagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Just b/c it's in a consignment shop doesn't mean it's been worn.  One of my friends found her gown in a consignment shop and it still had the tags in it.
  • Options
    I got my dress from kijiji for less than half the price. Turns out, the dress was bought in the province where I'm getting married and the girl is from the same area I was born in! The dress was cleaned and looks brand new.
    And, it is going back where it came from :-)
    Nothing wrong with getting a used dress as long as it's in good condition and you feel happy about it! Besides, no one has to know, right ;-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards