Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cake or cupcakes?

Trying to decide on either cake or cupcakes!
The cake would be 5 tiers with 5 different flavors
or cupcakes with 5 or more different flavors....

Re: Cake or cupcakes?

• edited December 2011
    I've seen people have cake and cupcakes.. a small cake for the couple to cut (about 6" round) and cupcakes for the guests.

Does your vendor charge a cake cutting fee?  Cupcakes will cut costs down in that area.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • edited December 2011

I had trouble making that decision as well. We decided to go with a four tiered cake with an extra sheet cake in the back. We have four flavors, one for each tier. For more flavor options, I would go with the cupcakes. However, as PP said, you could do one small cake for cutting and then cupcakes to go with it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I think we're going to do both, just so we have one to cut. I think we're going to do 2 tiers though so we can still keep the top one to enjoy on our first anniversary. If you can't decide, do both! I think we're going to put a cupcake at each seat so we save time with them being passed out (a friend is making them) or we might have them organized on a table and be "self-serving." Good luck figuring it out!
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I vote for the wedding cake. It's the centerpiece to the reception and usually beautiful. Honestly cupcakes at a wedding remind me of a child's birthday party, and I'm not a fan. I've never attended a wedding with cupcakes, but if I did I wouldn't complain because it's still cake and tastes the same, I would just think it looked a lot less formal and a little more kiddish.
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011

I agree with the PP.  A 5-tiered wedding cake will be a beautiful focal point of your reception.  So it really depends on what kind of wedding you want/are having--formal with a showstopping wedding cake, or more casual/laid back?

• McKenna2012McKenna2012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're having a small cake for cutting but cupcakes for sharing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I love cupcakes, but we're having cake.  I feel like there are a lot of cupcake shops in my area, so it's more of a common treat, whereas wedding cake is special and looks better in photos.  Also, my mom didn't want cupcakes because she said they were harder to eat without messing up your lipstick (you have to open your mouth really big, haha).
  • FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cake-cupcakes-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:b7b16e22-f8ad-4f5d-aabb-ce37a6252859Post:a8555c12-f2f0-4885-853f-401cba483d63">Re: Cake or cupcakes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've seen people have cake and cupcakes.. a small cake for the couple to cut (about 6" round) and cupcakes for the guests. Does your vendor charge a cake cutting fee?  Cupcakes will cut costs down in that area.
    Posted by ADTonk[/QUOTE]

I like this idea.

We are having cake only but if we were to decide between cupcakes and cakes, I think we'd make this compromise!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • ABehrens1ABehrens1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm doing cupcakes. It's cheaper per serving AND cheaper because there is no cutting fee. Your baker can make them look formal and beautiful, they don't have to look "kiddish" as PP said. We are also having a cake for the top "tier" for cutting. Just go with whatever YOU want... it's your day!
  • edited December 2011
    We are doing cupcakes with  a 6 inch cake on top to cut ourselves.  We saved a ton of money on using cupcakes and I have never been to a wedding with cupcakes.  I think it will be different at least for us.  I feel like we wont waste as much either with the cupcakes.  I could be wrong though. 
  • edited December 2011
    i'm kind of in love with the idea of cupcakes. If you're worried about a centerpiece/focal point for the reception, cupcake towers can look as elegant as you want them to. It just depends on what you like.

• SandiaLizSandiaLiz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am actually a little famous for loving cupcakes so much, so it was an easy decision for me! I think cupcakes can be made very fancy and beautiful if that is the way you go. I just wanted to mention that if you have a lot of different flavors some people will want to taste them all will and and take more. Your baker might have mentioned this but order extra just in case!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • nannewmurnannewmur member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it depends on the formality.  Cupcakes are less formal to me.  Cupcakes are harder to eat compared to cake.  Something I wish to add is also take in consideration how many kids you will have at the reception b/c cupcakes are messier and have a tendency to get on the floor.  Good luck!
  • Danielle2104Danielle2104 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're doing cupcakes, mostly because we're having a very small wedding. Plus, I love cupcakes, everyone knows it and hey! it's our day! Laughing
  • edited December 2011
    I vote for the cake, although i never really love wedding cake in general... i feel like cupcakes belong at a children's birthday party, not at a wedding.
  • edited December 2011

We are doing cupcakes with the small cake for cutting on top style...I had the cupcake idea before going to a bridal show but when my FMIL and my mom both fell in love with the cupcake idea at the show...I knew it was a winner...because FMIL is who I was worried about...lol but she proved me wrong...and then she surprised FI and me by wanting to pay for them...so hey..Im not complaning :) And since we not having any kids there except my lil sis(in wedding party) we dont have to worry about messes. 

So go with what you can afford and want..both work really well.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards