June 2012 Weddings

So apparently I look like a hooker

I went to Sephora today to buy my wedding makeup.  They made me all up, with more makeup than I normally wear, but I thought I looked good.  I came home and FI asked me what I did.  I said I went to get myw edding makeup.  He's like "Really?  You kinda look like a hooker".  Umm thanks?

I think he realized what he said after he said it, cuz he started to backpedal and say he's just not used to me wearing makeup (I rarely wear it, and when I do, it's minimal).  He also pointed out that it will look way different as the whole ensemble with my dress/hair/veil/etc.  He then told me he liked it.

Maybe I'm just being oversensitive, but I don't think he's being honest that he likes it.  I just spent almost $100 on makeup that I just want to return now.  But I don't want to look like every other day, I want everyone to go "woaaaaahhh" when I walk down that aisle.  Maybe I'm being selfish/full of myself, but it's what I want.  I like the makeup a lot, and I think it'll look awesome when it's all together (like he said).  I'm just scared he'll hate it the day of.

I'm not really looking for advice.. if you have any, I'd appreciate it though lol.  I just more needed to vent.  I am really taking his comment to heart.  I know he didn't mean it as harshly as it sounded.  It's just bugging me a lot.

Re: So apparently I look like a hooker

• If you think you looked good, I'm sure you did. Guys can be dense when it comes to what we think looks nice.

But Sephora and Mac are known to go a little overboard with makeup sometimes so I would be a little more reserved to how they style my face. ;)
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • First, do you like it? Second, make up looks different when you're wearing a white wedding gown vs when you are wearing regular clothes. My fiance looked at me a little strange when I had my make up done for our engagement photos. He said it was too much make up, but said for the occasion he understands why. I bet you look beautiful!

• sometimes guys aren't the best at expressing what they mean. I know FI isn't always the best at saying what he actually means and sometimes it comes out totally not how he really meant it.  I'm sure he just meant that you looked different.  He probably just isn't used to you looking all made up since you said minimal makeup is all you usually wear.  Also, i'm sure the makeup you were wearing was more formal than every day so it will definitely look more fitting when you have the ensemble all together.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 309 Invited so far!
    image 142 Are ready to party!
    image 125 Will be missing out!
    image 42 Are driving me crazy!
  • Agree with PP. He will LOVE your makeup on your wedding day. Whenever a Sephora lady touches my face, it looks ok in the store and then I look like a clown when I get outside.

Your makeup, nicely applied by you or your makeup artist, will be great. =)

I bet you could also experiment with a little bit of your wedding makeup now and see if he even notices.
  • jaime10285jaime10285 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When I was in a friend's wedding I thought I looked like a hooker (I hardly wear makeup) but everyone said I looked good. When I saw the pictures I did finally think I looked good. Kind of the opposite of your situation but I think when people aren't used to seeing you in makeup it may be surprising at first. Remember though makeup photographs differently and doesn't look as intense as it might in real life. I'm sure your FI was just surprised at first. If you love it that's what matters.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_apparently-look-like-hooker?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:7c6fe827-7c60-4695-8732-b31b1fddb623Post:c4601b9e-ae80-4286-866c-82be3d138fef">Re: So apparently I look like a hooker</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you think you looked good, I'm sure you did. Guys can be dense when it comes to what we think looks nice. But Sephora and Mac are known to go a little overboard with makeup sometimes so I would be a little more reserved to how they style my face. ;)
    Posted by tyleet87[/QUOTE]<div>agree. I am sure the make-up you got is great stuff. If you love it, do it how they applied it or you can always "tone" it down a little. I am sure it will look great with the dress and veil, etc

</div>
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • show us a picture, we are better judges than a guy who never sees you with make up as we never see you at all :P lol
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Dream Honeymoon/Actual Honeymoon Disneyworld Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh boy!  Gotta love guys and the things that come out of their mouths!  I'm sure you looked beautiful!  Why don't you take a picture and post it here so we can let you know how it looks?  The most important thing is how YOU felt in the makeup.  I'm sure if we saw it, we would all be on team Chelsea...not team hooker!  
    imageimage
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_apparently-look-like-hooker?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:7c6fe827-7c60-4695-8732-b31b1fddb623Post:6a3ba8af-758d-4c09-a278-297832070dd0">Re: So apparently I look like a hooker</a>:
    [QUOTE]show us a picture, we are better judges than a guy who never sees you with make up as we never see you at all :P lol
    Posted by sweetcanadian1979[/QUO

My thoughts exactly!
  • I shoulda taken a pic.  I'll do a practice run again sometime soon and take a pic.
  • I think he isn't used to it. I would practice and wear it once and a while and he will get used to it. Kill two birds with one stone. I always feel a little odd fora while when I change up my eye makeup.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • FI thinks I look like a hooker whenever I wear any eye make-up.  I just barely ever wear any make up. He has also told me I look like an oompa loompa before, when my foundation didn't match my skin color anymore.

Ease him into it..he's just not used to it. Remember you are going to look gorgeous on your wedding day, you probably won't need much make-up. Your FI will want you to look like you!
    June 16, 2012
  • My FI doesn't like when I wear a lot of eye makeup either just because he's not used to it so maybe that was part of it. 

IMO, Sephora does put on a lot so you look good in the store but their lighting is a little darker by where they do it for you at all the stores I've been into so you WILL have more on than you need. 
  • Speaking of hookers, Pretty Woman is on TBS right now lol
    June 16, 2012
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_apparently-look-like-hooker?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:7c6fe827-7c60-4695-8732-b31b1fddb623Post:b197aa15-59ad-4a87-afbf-9abf2c6250c0">Re: So apparently I look like a hooker</a>:
    [QUOTE]Speaking of hookers, Pretty Woman is on TBS right now lol
    Posted by acaponi87[/QUOTE]

LOL!

Chelsea, in all seriousness, don't stress too much.   After my makeup trial at a place that miraculously got all these rave reviews, I was told (and I agree) I looked like a transvestite (I would have been happy to have been likened to a hooker instead!!!)...which further was an issue because our e-pics were scheduled right after, and to this day we still haven't had them.  Because of that experience, I am going to do my own makeup as well for the wedding.  I wear a fair amount of makeup daily, and even I am going to go a little more intense just to make sure it photographs well.  If you were happy with it, I am sure it looked great!!

And don't forget, even the best makeup artists aren't as familiar with <em>your</em> face as you are, so even if you were to do all the steps the artist at Sephora did, it would probably look better when you apply it (and FI would like it better too) because you know the right techniques for your specific face :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards