North Carolina-Outer Banks

To All You Red Sky Brides!

My partner and I are getting married 10/01/11 and we are using Red Sky for our reception. We were down for the Wedding Expo and got to taste their food a lot and we loved it!  The problem we are having is that we are trying to scale down our menu from the original because as you brides know, the closer you get to that date the money gets a little thin! We are keeping most of the original dishes but are arguing about what to keep and what to scale back.

My questions to the brides that have used Red Sky are these. What dishes did you absolutely love? What would you have changed about your menu? what did your guests rave about? We are just really trying to scale back but don't want to leave our guests hungry! We want to have wonderful, tasty food that everyone enjoys. Any advice from those brides that have used RS is greatly appreciated!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: To All You Red Sky Brides!

• mparwulskimparwulski member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You scared me!  I thought this was going to be a post on not to use them.  And I love their menu and working with Eric.

I am using them, but haven't had my wedding yet.  So, no help there.  I honestly think their whole menu looks so yummy, I don't think you could go wrong.  What are you deciding between?  Try talking to Eric and ask him what's popular, and what his recommendations would be.
  • edited December 2011
    Haha, sorry to scare you! Nothing bad at all. A good problem to have! We liked everything at our tasting that we ended up adding to our original plan once we met with Eric. (who we love working with too!) We are just trying to have something there for all kinds of tastes and not spend a fortune! I am really curious to those that have used them, what were the favorites and what if anything, they would change. It is such great food, it is hard to finalize that final menu! Any pointers on how you all came up with your final menu and what your favorites were?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely seafood.  We're at the beach, right?  Although my fiance doesn't like seafood.  So, fish, chicken, beef.  A little bit for everyone.  I seem to remember someone doing a review of their vendors.  I'll have to see if I can find it.  This is our menu:

Salad

Caprese Salad of Buffalo Mozzarella,
    Local Tomatoes & Basil
    atop Field Greens with Balsamic Reduction

Dinner

Soy Stung Asparagus
    with Caramelized Onions & Red Peppers 

Grilled Vegetable Skewers 

Rosemary Roasted Red Potatoes 

Cajun Seared Mahi Mahi

with Red Onion & Fruit Salsa 

Boneless Breast of Chicken RouladeStuffed
    with
    Basil, Spinach & Mozzarella,
    Smoked Tomato Cream Sauce
    atop Bow Tie Pasta

Bleu Cheese & Herb Encrusted Beef Tenderloin
    Creamy Horseradish Sauce, Dinner Rolls

Dessert

Key Lime Bliss Wedding Cake

Ocean Blue Champagne Toast

Candy Bar, Coffee
  • edited December 2011
    We still need to decide between two different menus Eric sent us (we love working with him too!)... We have an extra challenge in that the groom is vegan but our families are very much "meat eaters."

My favorite thing that I tried at the tasting was the Carolina Tuna w/wasabi Creme Fraiche and pickled ginger and seaweed salad.  Of course, seafood isn't everyone's cup of tea.. My mom is most excited about the Blue Cheese and & Herb Crusted Prime Rib w/Horseradish Cream Sauce that's on one of our menu proposals...

Balancing what I want, what the groom needs, plus what family members would most likely want has lead to quite a large (and somewhat costly) menu.  So I know exactly what you mean about trying to scale back.. unfortunately, I haven't a clue what to cut.  (Our wedding is the first of July -- I'll have some feedback after that).

Mpar, Are you doing sit-down, stations or buffet for you menu? (It looks fantastic!)
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I originally wanted to do full service sit down.  If people are going to travel to my wedding, they are going to get a deliciously served meal and drink what they want.  But I decided on the butlered hors d'oevres with cocktails, then the tapas style dinner.  That way everyone could take what they wanted without having to pick chicken or fish 1-2 months out.  Then they'll serve the guests drinks at their seats.  There's probably only going to be 30-40 people.  Not getting married until August and I'm hungry already.
  • edited December 2011

This is our tenative menu. We also have several vegatarians and so we are trying to make the menu diverse. We are also doing tapas style dinner. I also love the idea of doing as much seafood as we can since we are at the beach!

Act I  - BBQ Shrimp, Roasted Red Pepper Hummus with Toast Points & Pork Egg Rolls with Sirachai Aioli

Act II - Grilled Southwestern Shrimp & Scallop Fajita Station with Tortillas, Black Bean and Corn Salsa, Pico de Gallo, Guacamole, Cheese, Tomatoes, etc..

-Soy Stung Asparagus with Carmelized Onions and Red Peppers
    -Chef Attended Pad Thai Station with grilled chicken, soy sauce, crushed peanuts, bean sprouts, scallions, chilli peppers and lime wedges

Spinach salad with toasted walnuts thinly sliced red onions, dried cranberries and gorgonzola cheese crumbles with balsamic vinegarette

-Bleu cheese and herb encrusted prime rib of beef with creamy horseradish and dinner rolls

Act III - Cake, cupcakes, and champagne toast!

We are trying to figure out what to cut out....either the pad thai station or the fajita station. Which is hilarious because we wanted mexican all along! We love your menu too by the way....decisions, decisions!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Tough call.  I would cut the Pad Thai.  I'm not a Pad Thai fan because I don't like peanuts in my food.  But, that's just me.
  • edited December 2011
    That was my suggestion because I think it is the more costlier entree. The funny thing is, I love pad thai but my partner isn't crazy about it but still wants it on the menu! Crazy! We originally wanted Mexican food meets the beach but have gotten way off that thanks to all of Eric's wonderful suggestions!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love seafood, fiance hates it.  He calls it kitty food.  I don't like the Pad Thai, he loves it.  LOL!

Since I'm doing most of the planning, I picked the menu and then ran it by him.  I knew I'd have some things for the non-seafood people. 
  • edited December 2011
    Hi!
    They have excellent crab cakes!  I used Red Sky as one of my vendor choices for the Wedding Expo weekend, and all of the brides raved about them!  They are simple yet delicious!
    Happy Planning!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards