Snarky Brides

Completely random NWR question.

Has anyone ever/or does own snakes? What is your experience with them?

I want to get a little corn snake and have been doing alot of research and I thought I would ask you ladies for input too. They are really docile, great to handle, inexpensive and relatively easy upkeep. Not to mention they don't get very big and are quite beautiful. I already have the 20 gallon tank from my alligator lizards I had so tank and lighting is taken care of.

Re: Completely random NWR question.

• LesPaulLesPaul member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    ExH and I had a 6 foot boa constrictor a long time ago.  It lived in the bathtub.  I used to wrap it around my neck and go to the mall, just to watch people freak out.  It was fun, except for having to provide live mice for it to eat.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • I had snakes.  I loved them.  I would raise them again in an instant!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • You can't buy live mice here it has to be frozen. They wont really get past pinkies for awhile. Boas are awesome but I worry about them around the boys. I thought about a king but they tend to be picky and pissy lol.
  • No, never had a pet snake. But I used to like catching them (little water snakes) when I was a kid.
    I do, however, want some chickens! My neighbor has them, and he gave me a dozen giant fresh ones today. Eggs are about $4-$6 here...it's outrageous. Gonna go home and pitch that idea to FI.

What will you have to feed a corn snake?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker < br > Planning Bio
  • CM what kind did you have? How was their temperament?
  • LesPaulLesPaul member
    My brother always had snakes around when we were growing up.  Usually garter snakes - they're pretty easy to take care of.
  • They get 5 foot max and you feed them pinky mice.

My MIL has chickens and brings us fresh eggs all the time :) They are great to have around for pest control too!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_completely-random-nwr-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:3129cca7-62f2-4fe4-b1cf-2d8da4064fabPost:dc459aca-4203-4ced-992b-f380a0a8f419">Re: Completely random NWR question.</a>:
    [QUOTE]My brother always had snakes around when we were growing up.  Usually garter snakes - they're pretty easy to take care of.
    Posted by LesPaul[/QUOTE]

Oh I didn't think of garter snakes. Those snakes are pretty mellow. I am more just concerned about temperament and behaviour.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_completely-random-nwr-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:3129cca7-62f2-4fe4-b1cf-2d8da4064fabPost:816a997c-9c57-4682-bed0-83dfd9c86731">Re: Completely random NWR question.</a>:
    [QUOTE]ExH and I had a 6 foot boa constrictor a long time ago.  It lived in the bathtub.  I used to wrap it around my neck and go to the mall, just to watch people freak out.  It was fun, except for having to provide live mice for it to eat.
    Posted by LesPaul[/QUOTE]

WAIT WHAT?!!!!!!!!!!!

How did you KEEP it in the bathtub?  OH MY GOD I WOULD DIE IF I WENT TO YOUR HOUSE AND WENT INTO THE BATHROOM AND FOUND A GIGANTIC SNAKE.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_completely-random-nwr-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:3129cca7-62f2-4fe4-b1cf-2d8da4064fabPost:bae17f02-78f9-41bc-bd46-d9af2b80b0e1">Re: Completely random NWR question.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Completely random NWR question. : WAIT WHAT?!!!!!!!!!!! How did you KEEP it in the bathtub?  OH MY GOD I WOULD DIE IF I WENT TO YOUR HOUSE AND WENT INTO THE BATHROOM AND FOUND A GIGANTIC SNAKE.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

HAHA! We had a boa when I was growing up that LOVED the bathtub. It's great for shedding. He would just kick it in there. But he was a little odd... We would put him in the tree to bask and he would fall out O.o
  • I don't mind snakes but I could never have one if they had to be fed mice (frozen or alive). 

I used to work for a vet that did snake training for dogs and my first week of work I walked into the back to put away my stuff and there was a rattlesnake laid out on an exam table.  To say I freaked is an understatement.  So, I guess I do mind snakes... 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_completely-random-nwr-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:3129cca7-62f2-4fe4-b1cf-2d8da4064fabPost:89096b73-d570-4e0c-a392-71289f9d3f49">Re: Completely random NWR question.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Completely random NWR question. : Oh I didn't think of garter snakes. Those snakes are pretty mellow. I am more just concerned about temperament and behaviour.
    Posted by undyingmizery[/QUOTE]

I think the garter snakes are the kind I used to catch in the wild. They don't bite or anything.
  • I've never had one but I had a teacher in high school that always taught with her snake around her neck or shoulders or wrist.  It was kind of freaky.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • LesPaulLesPaul member
    She (?) was very mellow, and liked to hang out in the tub.  Looking back, it was pretty weird.  Good thing we didn't have a lot of visitors other than exH's buddies.
  • I was forced to sell snakes once upon a time. It was kind of neat watching them eat the thawed pinkies, except when they were itty bitty and I had to cut the thawed pinkies. Then I wanted to puke.

I think they are pretty neat for friends to have as pets but wouldn't own one myself. Something to think about is what would happen if you went on vacation and whether your house (renting/hoa/whatever) allows snakes as pets.
  • Are 'pinkies' baby mice?
  • CellesCelles member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_completely-random-nwr-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:3129cca7-62f2-4fe4-b1cf-2d8da4064fabPost:072ccf3f-1849-4565-a680-d3d0cecdcdf8">Re: Completely random NWR question.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't mind snakes but I could never have one if they had to be fed mice (frozen or alive). 
    Posted by Girlie1030[/QUOTE]

This is true for me, too. I like snakes but I also like mice and rats. I don't think I could have a pet snake that wasn't a vegetarian.
  • Yes pinkies are baby mice that aren't grown enough for hair yet. My landlord doesn't care about small reptiles. They just don't want cats, dogs ect. As for going on vacation they don't eat but every 5-7 days as a baby and 10-14 days as an adult so food is ok. My friend lives not 2 min from my house so I watch her house while she's gone and she watches mine while i'm gone :)
  • LP11509LP11509 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_completely-random-nwr-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:3129cca7-62f2-4fe4-b1cf-2d8da4064fabPost:bae17f02-78f9-41bc-bd46-d9af2b80b0e1">Re: Completely random NWR question.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Completely random NWR question. : WAIT WHAT?!!!!!!!!!!! How did you KEEP it in the bathtub?  OH MY GOD I WOULD DIE IF I WENT TO YOUR HOUSE AND WENT INTO THE BATHROOM AND FOUND A GIGANTIC SNAKE.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

<div>This was pretty much my exact reaction as well.  Holy balls. </div>
  • Here, you can have mine.  He scared the sh!t out of me because I totally did not expect a snake to be on my doorbell at 9am.
    C+D, Four kids, two kids-in-law, four grandkids
  • My best friend in middle school had a corn snake. He was super mellow and awesome (and pretty!) but he pushed the lid off the tank and escaped one day. We never found him

I also used to take care of my old science teacher's animals when he was gone and I like the garter snakes because they could eat crickets and fish instead of mice. Smaller though.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • polichikpolichik member
    First Comment
    edited May 2011
    Given my extreme amount of love for all rodents (including city rats... I know), I can appreciate the existence of snakes in the wild but could never own one.

If you're not set on a snake but are looking for an apartment- and vacation-friendly pet, these guys are furrier and only require food/water daily:

If you get a snake, more power to ya, but I just had to represent :)
  • My cornsnake is over 3 ft long. They get pretty darn big.
  • I love snakes. But I generaly think exotic animals are best left in the wild. As there quality of life is better?  I know some shelters have snakes. Try craiglists too. I am sure there are a lot of snakes that need homes rather than encouraging a breeding industry? I've always found exotic pet store practices a little sketch.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards