• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
June 2010 Weddings

Wedding Gown Preservations...is everyone doing this?

Hi to all the married ladies =) Now that our wedding is over, I was wondering about preserving my gown. I heard you should do it, but the only gowns I've seen preserved were all suction out in a plastic bag and put in a box...which I think looks really sad like a coffin for my wedding dress! (No offense to anyone whose done this!) Is this what happens to your dress when it gets preserved? What are you ladies doing with your dress?
"All adventurous women do."-GIRLS

Re: Wedding Gown Preservations...is everyone doing this?

• My first wedding I had my gown preserved. Honestly I wouldn't do it again, my 1st wedding dress was really big, princessy and the box was massive and I had to store it in the closet because I couldn't put it under a bed or anything, I ended up openinng it back up and taking pics in it a couple years later. This time I actually think I"m going to cut mine off and maybe dye it black and be able to wear it again and again. Not sure yet though!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I used to work at a dry cleaners, so I saw preserved dresses all the time!  They clean the dress and seal it into a box.  It'll stay nice while it's in there, but as soon as you open it or take it out, it's exposed to the elements again.

• I was told to at least have it cleaned but I don't know what to do. I want to wear it again and again.

Birthday
  • I know me too! =) I want to wear my dress again. Maybe we can have another lil ceremony at our house...a true after party! LOL
  • i am not getting it preserved but i do want to get it cleaned. i had no train and only one tiny stain that i mostly removed with a tide pen. not sure whether i really want to spend $250 to have it cleaned. i have been thinking about doing an at-home cleaning that i found on wikihow--you use mild dish detergent and rub spots gently with a toothbrush. washing it would be one thing but then i would need to press it and i'm nervous about that.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-a-Wedding-Gown
  • I am going to wear mine one more time.  We are doing "Last Look" pics... or more widely known as Trash the Dress.  (I am not trashing it, hence the Last Look)

After that, I may try to sell it.  I have enough crap sitting around in boxes.  And since you MUST leave it in there or have it sealed again, I am not going to keep it.
    vacation vacation vacation vacation
    It's almost here! Weeeeeeee!
    my read shelf:
    Jaime's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    43/70 books read

Back in June 2010...
  • I'm doing a TTD session, getting it cleaned, and donating it to Brides Against Breast Cancer.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic White Knot
  • [QUOTE]I'm doing a TTD session, getting it cleaned, and donating it to Brides Against Breast Cancer.
    Posted by lca315girl[/QUOTE]
    Excellent idea, fierce lady.
    vacation vacation vacation vacation
    It's almost here! Weeeeeeee!
    my read shelf:
    Jaime's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    43/70 books read

Back in June 2010...
  • Ohhh kniblet I love the idea of Last look for your dress! TTD sounds like fun too! HAHA  Thanks for your help!
  • In Response to Re: Wedding Gown Preservations...is everyone doing this?:
    [QUOTE]Excellent idea, fierce lady.
    Posted by Kniblet[/QUOTE]

Thanks, fierce mod!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic White Knot
  • I'm doing a TTD, but not really trashing... More like just wearing it around again. After that, I'm not sure what I'm going to do...
  • Trashin' it!
    "I love you.. even when you're sick and look disgusting!" -Love Actually
    My Planning Bio
  • I heard from a local wedding consignment shop owner that a lot of the dresses women bring into consign that had been preserved in this fashion actually didn't come out well -- moisture trapped inside the box that creates yellow spots, creases that won't come out, etc. She recommended storing it instead in a dye-free cotton bag with no zippers or metal on the hangers, to allow it to breathe but protect it as well.

I haven't really looked into this, but my dress wasn't expensive, so I don't know if paying to preserve it is worth it, especially if it doesn't work that well in the end.
    Anniversary
  • I'm doing a one last look photoshoot with the dress and my husband in his suit (possibly in Sept. around the date we got engaged).  Our wedding was last Friday and it was so flippin hot out we couldn't even do outdoor pics at all.  So we thought we'd try it again in the fall when the weather gets cooler.  I'm going to have his grandma actually shorten my dress prior to these pics being done and use the left over material to make christening gowns or elastic headbands etc. for when we start our family.  It's a newer trend I guess and I really like the idea plus I don't want to just throw this beautiful dress in a box and store it away :)
    Off Ortho Evra Birth Control Patch-Feb. 2011 Began TTC March 2011 8/30/11- U/S results normal,structural appearance normal, possibly partial sub-septate uterus???? Sept 2011 CD 20 Check- Progesterone normal/indicates ovulation at a 12 9/14/11 CD 3 blood work- Estrogen Normal-35 FSH levels-5.9 9/30/2011- S/A- Results GOOD October 2011 10/7/2011- Surprise BFP!!!!!!!! 10/12/2011- MC Confirmed CP at roughly 4wks 2 days EDD:6/18/2012 Our 2 yr. Anniversary 10/13/2011- Follow up consult with OB and lay out a treatment plan 10/20/11 MRI with/without contrast uterus labeled as Arcuate uterine abnormality, small cyst detected on left ovary. End October 2011- Fired Original OB/switched and interviewed several practices with new OB and Love her! 12/02/11- HSG uterus looks perfect with no abnormalities detected and tubes clear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards