Chit Chat

Healthcare or Forensic Professionals

I believe I am at a crossroads in career choice. I have always wanted to be a pediatric PA but have been rejected by 2 of 6 schools I applied to in the span of 1 week. As the posiiblity of getting accepted to a program seems to be slowly slipping away, I was hoping for insight because I still want to work in healthcare or have thought about forensics.

I already have a BS in Biology but don't want to spend a lot more time in school (which was part of the PA appeal).

My questions for you all are:

1) What do you do?
2) How much schooling?
3) What kind of requirements?
4) Do you enjoy what you do?
5) And if you don't mind, how much is your salary or could you make depending on experience level?

Thanks in advance ladies!
Best of luck to you and yours!

Feb 22, 2013

Re: Healthcare or Forensic Professionals

• edited October 2010
    1. I'm a reporter.
    2. 4 year degree
    3.  Well, degree... and hopefully some internship training.  No one wants to hire you if they have to teach you.
    4. I love what I do.
    5. My salary is roughly 30k a year with benefits.  I get raises every year.  But if I want to make more money, I'll need a different job.  I know some starting reporters where I live start at 18k.  You'd be better off just waitressing.

ETA - I realize this post does nothing to help you.  I just felt like answering because I love talking about myself.

...You should keep applying though.  Definitely keep applying.  No one gets anywhere if they stop trying.
    panther
  • edited October 2010
    While I am not really in the healthcare or forensic fields, I feel like I have to be a doctor and/or nurse sometimes taking care of ouchies, cuts, scraps, and diagnosing sickness/illness for parents who are too naive or dumb to realize their child is not feeling well.

1) What do you do? I am a pre-k teacher

2) How much schooling? I have a 4yr degree and some graduate credits

3) What kind of requirements? experience and/or a degree

4) Do you enjoy what you do? yes, very much so

5) And if you don't mind, how much is your salary or could you make depending on experience level? well, I only make minimum wage (which sucks) but I am in it for the kids. Before I moved here, I was making $32,000 in a private Christian program. However, the wages are much lower down here in general.
  • I'm interest in the answers about forensics.  It's something I've considered.  It looks like a lot of positions require a masters degree in forensics, but it depends on what you want to do.  Toxicology in Richmond requires a PhD.  In Richmond, their site says they don't typically have entry level positions so you'd have to do an unpaid internship.  For paid positions, I've seen $80k to a little over $100k.

***This is from minimal research I've done on the internet.
  • Nilla, I thought there were nursing shortages everywhere. I know that in my area, nurses have no problems getting jobs, and nursing educators are in HIGH demand. My friend is an RN and they have approached her several times about doing the additional training to become a sexual assault nurse, but she won't do it because she doesn't think she has the emotional boundaries necessary to be successful and not go crazy. Can you believe there is only 1 in Central Texas? 

So yeah, maybe its just your area. Have you considered moving? 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_healthcare-forensic-professionals?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:8bc1440a-aa29-4b46-a589-e2ab7afe8c5fPost:d1124929-7b83-4c47-a619-c5f621e4035d">Re: Healthcare or Forensic Professionals</a>:
    [QUOTE]Nilla, I thought there were nursing shortages everywhere. I know that in my area, nurses have no problems getting jobs, and nursing educators are in HIGH demand. My friend is an RN and they have approached her several times about doing the additional training to become a sexual assault nurse, but she won't do it because she doesn't think she has the emotional boundaries necessary to be successful and not go crazy. Can you believe there is only 1 in Central Texas?  So yeah, maybe its just your area. Have you considered moving? 
    Posted by SarahPLiz[/QUOTE]

<div>Seasoned nurses are in high demand, but new graduates are not.  The hospitals have to spend about $60,000 to hire and train a new graduate, and they just don't have the money right now.  This is a problem nationwide, so moving wouldn't help much.  I will find something eventually, but it's super discouraging.  I wish I would have known I would have this much trouble before I went into nursing.  I would have gone to med school haha!</div>
    Photobucket
  • My questions for you all are:

1) What do you do? I'm an RN in NICU

2) How much schooling? I first got my Associate's Degree ___years ago (ahem) and went back for & graduated with my Bachelor's degree 3 years ago.

3) What kind of requirements? Basic college stuff, lots of science (which shouldn't be an issue for you with a biology degree). 

4) Do you enjoy what you do? Absolutely!  But I warn anyone who goes into nursing: it is hard work.  It's not just holding people's hands, seeing cool stuff, and charting.  It is taxing and you will see things that will shock you and make you sad, angry, happy, excited - the whole gammet of emotions. 

5) And if you don't mind, how much is your salary or could you make depending on experience level?  I just got a new job that'll be about 72K (before taxes).  Probably will be about 20K after taxes...I'm jooooking...but seriously...

@AATB - Hahaha, I love ya girl! 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited October 2010
    1) What do you do? I'm an RN
    2) How much schooling? I went for 4 years.
    3) What kind of requirements?A Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) Schooling is hard. You have no time for anything other than studying.
    4) Do you enjoy what you do? I love my job. I work with children. Some days are good, some days are bad. It just depends on my case load.
    5) And if you don't mind, how much is your salary or could you make depending on experience level? Well, right now I'm not full time. I work 34-36 hours a week. But I make $37.55 an hour. Once I'm full time I hope to be making $48-50 an hour. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_healthcare-forensic-professionals?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:8bc1440a-aa29-4b46-a589-e2ab7afe8c5fPost:775beba9-1ce8-42c1-a3db-4bfaba353e6d">Re: Healthcare or Forensic Professionals</a>:
    [QUOTE]1) What do you do?  I'm and RN 2) How much schooling?  I have a bachelors, but you can obtain your licensure through an associates degree 3) What kind of requirements?  Lot's of science, which you already have 4) Do you enjoy what you do?  I would if I could get a job.  No one is really hiring new grad rn's during this terrible economy, so I've been unemployed for about a year.  Boo. 5) And if you don't mind, how much is your salary or could you make depending on experience level?  As a new graduate nurse, I will make between 40 and 50K.  As a seasoned nurse, I will make between 60K and 80K. Don't loose hope on PA school.  You still have four more letters to receive. Good luck!
    Posted by NillaWafer10[/QUOTE]

Have you tried Nursing Homes or your local prisons?

My aunt just graduated this past spring and she got a job in the local prison system making $36.85 an hour. Just a thought. You could always work at one just long enough to get some experience under your belt. GL with your job search.
  • 1) What do you do? ICU RN

2) How much schooling? Originally, a two year associates degree program.  Just finished my Bachelors of Science in Nursing
    (BSN) which is completely optional.  It seems more places are preferring you to have this, as evidence suggess that Bachelors educated nurses have lower rates of infection to patients, better post-surgical outcomes, lower mortality rates etc etc.  I guess I buy all that but I think there are tons of wonderful nurses with an associates degree and they're better than the BSN nurses....

Also, there are always a ton of certifications and further degrees: Nurse anestist, nurse practicioner, nursing educator (which are in VERY high demand due to a huge overflow/waiting list of nursing students), the list goes on and on.

requirements?  For the associates degree, general education stuff (A & P 1& 2, microbiology, nutrition, simple math for nurses (dimensional analysis is what it was called when I was a biology major), psychiatry, sociology, then your basic nursing courses).

For jobs, most places do prefer RN's with experience, but will take new GN's (graduate nurses, right out of school).  My facility is still hiring new GN's, into basic med-surg (medical surgical) floors, which is usually the most basic adult patient (versus critical care, pediatrics, OB/GYN etc).   However, most facilities give at least a 3 month orientation (where you're side by side with an experienced RN, to get you more acclimated to the 'real world' of nursing, versus the theoretical one presented to you in nursing school. 

And of course the NCLEX (I forget the proper name, but the licensing test for RN's). 

4) Do you enjoy what you do? VERY much so!  I was on the intermediate unit for 5 years and actually just transferred to the ICU this week.  Even before now, I loved the sense of helping people at their most vulnerable/needy time.  It's also an adrenaline kick to be able to know what signs warrant a phone call to the doctor at 3AM, for an appropriate intervention when something critical comes up.  And being able to intervene with medications, other treatments, etc and hopefully be successful in saving a life.  However, it is very stressful & taxing at times, as mentioned before.  It is not for the weak of heart, those who can't stand blood, and are afraid to do a little physical work. 

I know of quite a few nurses, who have already 'burnt out', or left the nursing field because of the stress.  Depending where you are, the facility and such, the ratio of nurses to patients can be unsafe.  You are responsible for lives when you are the nurse and that alone is a great stressor.  Add to it poor ratios, inadequate staffing, rude MD's (not that all are) and many other variables and it is easy to see why some quit.  Others go on to advanced practice nursing (nurse practicioner, masters, education etc) to get away from 'floor nursing' or being the direct patient care provider.

5) And if you don't mind, how much is your salary or could you make depending on experience level?

As a new graduate, in my area I made a competitive salaray to the bigger, educational institutions within an hours drive.  My base salary was 45K after taxes.  Now, with 5 years experience, I'm around 55K.  Of course there is always overtime, which is great, but can add significantly to your stress level.  I plan to get my experience in the ICU and eventually return for my CRNA (nurse anesthesia, which I'm told is VERY challenging & competitive).  I believe they start around 120-140K, from what I've found in my research, with national annual average of 160K. The financial aspect is nice, but so is job security (especially in this economy), as well as less physical stress. 

Another benefit of floor nursing is the physical demand: I injured my back only 10 months into my first position.  Back injuries are very common among nursing staff, whether caused long-term by years of lifting heavy patients, or an acute injury such as mine.  Oh well, such is life.

Sorry to write a novel, but you should hear all sides of everything, before making your decision.  Nursing IS a very rewarding career: to admit a 38 year old pneumonia patient on the brink of death, care for her for a week and see her ready to go home, is an amazing reminder of why we do what we do.  The ultimate reward is saving a life, because life is to be treasured.  We are there 24/7, when the doctors are not, therefore WE are the primary caregivers for our patients. 

Good luck, whatever you decide to do....and maybe you'll get into PA school after all. :-)
    When we walk to the edge of all the light we have and take the step into the darkness of the unknown, we must believe that one of two things must happen: There will be something solid for us to stand on, or we will be taught to fly. -Patrick Overton
  • Also, with your BS in biology, I'm sure you would be able to get out of most of the gen eds, in whatever program you would choose to enroll.
    When we walk to the edge of all the light we have and take the step into the darkness of the unknown, we must believe that one of two things must happen: There will be something solid for us to stand on, or we will be taught to fly. -Patrick Overton
  • well im not in the feilds you are looking for but my fiance is a rn... went to school for a year and a half applies then two years later was a rn... he is now going back for his bachalors which is about a year and a half to two years... then he is going to become a nurse anastesiologist.... right now... me makes 25 an gour (been working under a year with no bachalors) but it will raise about three dollars after that (and a lot better oppertunity to go to a beter hospital which = better pay).. not to mention if you get the oppertunity to be a charge nurse are anything that you can move up, i feel that you have lots of options, and a lot of oppertunities to move up. We are even thinking about doing traveling nursing (pay for travel, where you live, plus get paid) He loves that we only workd three days a week 7-7, but usually only gets 36 hours not 40.... he really LOVES what he does
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards