Just Engaged and Proposals

engagement party

We just got engaged last week, and are thinking of having an informal engagement party at our house for close friends and family.  Another motivator is to show off the house because we have upgraded it a lot since our housewarming party a year ago.  So I'm wondering if it's ok to throw your own engagement party (definitely not looking for gifts and would mention on the invite no gifts).  And also if it's ok to just send out an evite since we are looking to do it rather quickly about 3 weeks from now.  Thoughts?
Photobucket

Re: engagement party

• It's actually not OK to throw your own engagement party.  An engagment party is just like a shower or bachelorette.  It's an event thrown FOR you but not BY you.

That said, it's fine to throw a party and have people over.  Just don't call it an engagement party.  And even if you don't want presents, never mention that on the invitation.
  • Ditto what banana said.  Just invite people over to your house for drinks or whatever and don't call it an engagement party.  
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Throw a housewarming party, not an engagement party.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_engagement-party-16?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:4f820fb0-4f52-4274-9641-8ac29a00545fPost:180dc1eb-4053-4ec5-9456-9463609dcb47">Re: engagement party</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's actually not OK to throw your own engagement party.  An engagment party is just like a shower or bachelorette.  It's an event thrown FOR you but not BY you. That said, it's fine to throw a party and have people over.  Just don't call it an engagement party.  And even if you don't want presents, never mention that on the invitation.
    Posted by banana468[/QUOTE]

ditto
    imageimage

Sept 2011 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Ceremony Photo Anniversary

~~Planning~~

~~FOR SALE~~
  • mattycammattycam member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2010
    Hello,
    My FI and I are having a "meet and greet". We wanted to bring the bridal party together at least once in a casual setting before the big day. That is our "engagement party". Based on finances, we just limited to get together with the bridal party rather than the traditional family and friends (although that would have been nice). We sent out the invitations via evite as well.

Wow, there are a lot of topics on here that I wish I had read before making certain decisions! I have been to an engagement party thrown by the bride and groom but it wasn't to get gifts (although some people gave something anyways). It was just to celebrate the fact that they are officially engaged!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards