Military Brides

Army Reserves?

Hey guys, so an update on FI. His recruiter called him yesterday and said that he should apply for the Army Reserves Dental Scholarship... same stipend, no bonus, longer commitment, but he'd work 2 wks a year, and shorter deployment times (90 day deployments). Also, it would pay a significant amount of his student loans. It sounds kind of too good to be true, but IDK any better. Do any of you know anything about the Reserves? He's going to go for it, because he says that opens him up for positions in the Army later... and lets face it, a job is a job. I was so looking forward to moving, and I guess now that would not be something we would need to do? I don't know. I am so confused! :)

Re: Army Reserves?

• IrishcurlsIrishcurls member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I really no nothing about the reserves other than the two weeks a year thing you hear on the commercials...but don't most people have full time jobs while they are Reservists? So he'd get a civilan job after finishing school and just keep his reserve commitment, right?

Oh ETA, I just googled. Don't know how helpful this clicky is!
  • KendallR10KendallR10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I dated a guy who is a reservist. Idk about the 90 day deployment thing. I'm not sure if that is true. My ex deployed this spring and is still deployed. Its been longer than 90 days. 

Military Brides December 2011 Siggy. Holiday picture with your SO. We suck and don't have one :/ Those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
  • melbelle24melbelle24 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_army-reserves?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:ee38b080-e5e3-4193-b4c9-cc48b48867aePost:1fc7385d-f506-4fa4-8d57-9637444b5b2d">Re: Army Reserves?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I dated a guy who is a reservist. Idk about the 90 day deployment thing. I'm not sure if that is true. My ex deployed this spring and is still deployed. Its been longer than 90 days. 
    Posted by KendallR10[/QUOTE]
    There's probably a difference in enlisted Reserves and being a dentist in teh Reserves.

CAB, I don't know much about it. It sounds like it could be a good deal for him (and would help you get out of your FMIL's house sooner!). I would bug him with a lot more questions about it. Hope something works out for you guys soon!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_army-reserves?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:ee38b080-e5e3-4193-b4c9-cc48b48867aePost:1fc7385d-f506-4fa4-8d57-9637444b5b2d">Re: Army Reserves?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I dated a guy who is a reservist. Idk about the 90 day deployment thing. I'm not sure if that is true. My ex deployed this spring and is still deployed. Its been longer than 90 days. 

He would be medical, Kendall.
  • AmandaSC1988AmandaSC1988 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_army-reserves?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:ee38b080-e5e3-4193-b4c9-cc48b48867aePost:385e66ee-8c6d-42e1-ac9b-6cdded25d7ab">Re: Army Reserves?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I really no nothing about the reserves other than the two weeks a year thing you hear on the commercials...<strong>but don't most people have full time jobs while they are Reservists?</strong> So he'd get a civilan job after finishing school and just keep his reserve commitment, right? Oh ETA, I just googled. Don't know how helpful this clicky is!
    Posted by Irishcurls[/QUOTE]

I think this is true, at least for the people that I know that are reservist have full time jobs.

But remember CAB, sometimes recruiters will promise the world to you, and you will be disappointed. They really just want the bonuses that comes along with getting someone to sign. So, make sure and do a lot of research about it before committing.I hope one of the other ladies has more information.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011

Mel, yes, it would get us out sooner! Which would make me a very happy girl!
    Irish, thanks for the link! I'm checking it out right now.

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_army-reserves?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:ee38b080-e5e3-4193-b4c9-cc48b48867aePost:ac0fac56-e012-4d2d-b17e-9f6ddb2236db">Re: Army Reserves?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Army Reserves? : He would be medical, Kendall.
    Posted by CAB1217[/QUOTE]
    Do medical MOS' have shorter deployments?
    Military Brides December 2011 Siggy. Holiday picture with your SO. We suck and don't have one :/ Those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_army-reserves?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:ee38b080-e5e3-4193-b4c9-cc48b48867aePost:7186d577-ec6a-4090-9f71-c768505dc2da">Re: Army Reserves?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Army Reserves? : I think this is true, at least for the people that I know that are reservist have full time jobs. But remember CAB, sometimes <strong>recruiters will promise the world to you</strong>, and you will be disappointed. They really just want the bonuses that comes along with getting someone to sign. So, make sure and do a lot of research about it before committing.I hope one of the other ladies has more information.
    Posted by AmandaSC1988[/QUOTE]

This. Totally this. I am so scared that it will be too good to be true! But, yes, he would be able to work a reg. dentist job while in the reserves. I have some homework to do!
  • edited December 2011
    Good luck CAB!!! I find that my eyes glaze over when talking about certian things.  For example the family meeting thing we went to.  I wrote down tons of questions and the second we got in the car I looked at H and said "I have questions."  I wish I could help.  I swear there needs to be one of those "Military Life for Dummies" books.  I mean they have all kinds of those Dummie books.  :) 

Again good luck and yay for getting out of the house early!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_army-reserves?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:ee38b080-e5e3-4193-b4c9-cc48b48867aePost:c590c995-2770-4714-a79c-3f9df23d3ac7">Re: Army Reserves?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Army Reserves? : Do medical MOS' have shorter deployments?

"During the 6 years you will deploy at least once. You will deploy for a period not less than 90 days (this may be in Iraq, Afghanistan, or an active duty Army base). You will probably be gone a little longer than 90 days, because there is also 1-3 weeks training/turning items in when you deploy and come home."
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_army-reserves?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:ee38b080-e5e3-4193-b4c9-cc48b48867aePost:239a1340-ec27-4a40-a925-2e853be0ba78">Re: Army Reserves?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Army Reserves? : "During the 6 years you will deploy at least once. You will deploy for a period not less than 90 days (this may be in Iraq, Afghanistan, or an active duty Army base). You will probably be gone a little longer than 90 days, because there is also 1-3 weeks training/turning items in when you deploy and come home."
    interesting. 
  • edited December 2011
    If he were in the Army, his deployment time would be 6 months. His brother is an Army dentist (well, was. Now he is an oral surgeon), so I know this to be true.
  • kara811kara811 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't really have anything to add but Good Luck Cab to both you and your FI! I hope you 2 make the best decision for you both! ;) 
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks, Kara! This is all so confusing, and scary! I really really hope that later on, he gets into the Oral Surgery program through the Army... I guess we will see! But for now, he sounds pretty convinced that he wants to do this. I guess he says that he will have oppertunities to be an Army Dentist later on if he does this? Who knows... I need to read what he is reading lol!
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't have a clue, but it's nice he has options!  Just make sure to get EVERYTHING in writing.  The recruiter will be less likely to write down outrageous and untrue statements, though it's still no guarantee everything will be followed through like it says.  I hope it works out for you guys!

My understanding is you can do reserves from anywhere, so you could still move somewhere else and do reserves from there!

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_army-reserves?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:ee38b080-e5e3-4193-b4c9-cc48b48867aePost:8db384f8-ca17-4923-a711-b4f4ee61b186">Re: Army Reserves?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't have a clue, but it's nice he has options!  Just make sure to get EVERYTHING in writing.  The recruiter will be less likely to write down outrageous and untrue statements, though it's still no guarantee everything will be followed through like it says.  I hope it works out for you guys! My understanding is you can do reserves from anywhere, so you could still move somewhere else and do reserves from there!
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]

I'm seriously wanted to move to Savannah, so I hope this is true! I am in lurrrve with Savannah!
  • calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_army-reserves?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:ee38b080-e5e3-4193-b4c9-cc48b48867aePost:c2dd5c52-e1e1-4d96-ba6c-cf35a07dc96a">Re: Army Reserves?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Army Reserves? : I'm seriously wanted to move to Savannah, so I hope this is true! I am in lurrrve with Savannah!

Me, too!  To comfort myself from being stuck in Miami and house-bound, I've been stalking MilitarybyOwner.com for the Parris Island area to check out what we'll be able to afford on FI's BAH after we get married (obviously not the same houses, and things can change, but an approximate idea of what we can afford).  And I'm all excited and happy!  I do oogle the houses at the O3 level, but the O2 BAH is very comfortable and there are some really cute places.  I just wanna move NOW!

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    C- I oogle houses all of the time in places that H could possibly end up next.  HAA I have problems. 

CAB- I heart Savannah!!!
  • edited December 2011

I say that is a great idea. :)  Then we could have Wine Wednesdays which are my fave!

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_army-reserves?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:ee38b080-e5e3-4193-b4c9-cc48b48867aePost:d558f574-25ff-4591-9fe1-46a360b72b38">Re: Army Reserves?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I say that is a great idea. :)  Then we could have Wine Wednesdays which are my fave!
    Posted by crownsuperstar[/QUOTE]

I'm down for some Wine Wednesdays, and I am also down for some Wine Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. K? Thanksss.... ;)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_army-reserves?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:ee38b080-e5e3-4193-b4c9-cc48b48867aePost:51761eee-76c3-4cd1-860e-e95dc087f15c">Re: Army Reserves?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Army Reserves? : I'm down for some Wine Wednesdays, and I am also down for some Wine Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. K? Thanksss.... ;)

Well that being said me too. HA
  • calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_army-reserves?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:ee38b080-e5e3-4193-b4c9-cc48b48867aePost:efd091a3-d260-4a79-a7ed-60522a480e31">Re: Army Reserves?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Can we all just move to Savannah and be friendddds?!? :)

Don't tease me!  The idea of moving, ideally to Parris Island area, is what makes living here survivable for the next... um.... 34 weeks.  Having a built in network of girl friends is just too much to hope for!!!

GGirl already has me telling her regularly which local festivals (specifically some beer tasting event...) that I will be dragging her to next year if all goes as planned!

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    LOL! Cal I have to wait at least 4 years before I can move up there! I hope you all can wait! HA HA HA HA!
  • ggirl2001ggirl2001 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Hi I'm here! And well I'm awesome so we can definitely all be friends.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_army-reserves?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:ee38b080-e5e3-4193-b4c9-cc48b48867aePost:81ce5da4-eb1f-4e1a-b41e-8a1f7292bdb3">Re: Army Reserves?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Good luck CAB!!! I find that my eyes glaze over when talking about certian things.  For example the family meeting thing we went to.  I wrote down tons of questions and the second we got in the car I looked at H and said "I have questions."  I wish I could help.  I swear there needs to be one of those "Military Life for Dummies" books.  I mean they have all kinds of those Dummie books.  :)  Again good luck and yay for getting out of the house early!
    Posted by crownsuperstar[/QUOTE]

There is.. I own it; they gave them out in a class I went to on Base.
  • tyleet87tyleet87 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FI is in the Reserves. He has to do 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks a year. He said he would have to deploy at least once but is not sure about deployment times. (I would be thrilled if it was only 90 days!)

I'm not sure what else you need to know, but if you have questions let me know and I'll ask him. ;)
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • iluvmytxrgriluvmytxrgr member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I served in the Reserves for 6 years.  Don't count on the 1 week end/ 2 weeks thing.  People who have only had to that time, other than deployments, are rare.  Just like in the AD Army, he will be required to attend certain schools.  His annual training (AT) can be anywhere from 2 weeks to 4 weeks or more.  It could be a great opportunity for im and open other doors to AD, but just be aware that the time frame recruiters give you about the Reserves, especially if they have never been a Reservisit, is not always correct. 
    As far as the dental corps, from what I've seen of the unit I used to sub with, their deployments are fairly short and far apart.  Their deployments are also not just to the middle east.  They visit many, many other countries on humanitarian missions.  The unit I did RST training with had been to Haiti and several African countries. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • iluvmytxrgriluvmytxrgr member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_army-reserves?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:ee38b080-e5e3-4193-b4c9-cc48b48867aePost:c2dd5c52-e1e1-4d96-ba6c-cf35a07dc96a">Re: Army Reserves?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Army Reserves? : I'm seriously wanted to move to Savannah, so I hope this is true! I am in lurrrve with Savannah!

There is a dental unit in Savannah. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards