Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

Invite Wording! About to lose my mind!!!

So... we are finalizing wording for our invites, and all of a sudden everyone has an opinion about what they want it to say... they haven't piped in about anything to do for the wedding, and all of a sudden the wording is a big deal!

Here is the situation...

My parents are divorced... father is re-married, my mother was re-married but is now widowed (she still has my dad's last name though)

Fiance thinks his parents will be really upset if their names aren't listed on the invite as well...

My dad is paying for most of the wedding, but my mother and my fiance's parents are giving a decent amount of money towards the wedding- so basically everyone is helping out.

My dad let me know this week he thinks its very important to list his name on the invite so everyone knows who the wedding is for (ie. his business associates that may not know me that well)... fiance thinks that if my dad's name is on the invite his parents will be really mad if their names aren't on there too....

HELP!!!! Any ideas would be soooo greatly appreciated!!!
Trying to Conceive Ticker

Re: Invite Wording! About to lose my mind!!!

• Options
    NicoleR77NicoleR77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I haven't gotten quite this far so might not be too much help...Where are you doing your invitations through? They might be able to give you some tips on how to incorporate everyone's names. You could try searching on Google too...I know I've come across a lot of sites with invitation wording tips, but unfortunately I can't think of any of them off the top of my head.

• Options
    elliehsmithelliehsmith member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would post this on the etiquette boards.  Those ladies have been really helpful in the past.  
  • Options
    hkieslinghkiesling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    www.verseit.com has a lot of wording suggestions.  You might look there.

My thought on wedding invite wording has always been that if one parent is listed by name, then all of them should be listed by name.  That said, both of our parents are still married to each other, and we said "Together with their families..." Not sure if that's an option for you with the business associates, though.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Mr. and Mrs. John and Jane Dad'sLastname

and

Ms. Mary Dad'sLastname

request the honor of your presence at the marriage of their daughter

Rose Beth

to

Joe Smith

son of Mr. and Mrs. Todd and Anne Smith
    Anniversary
    White Knot
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    rosebc118rosebc118 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone! I decided to send 3 options to all the parents to get their input... ugh gotta love divorced families!

Thanks for your help!
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    So I'm a bit late with this, but we are basically in the exact same situation. Our wording went like this:

My dad and stepmom 
    My mom and stepdad
    FI's mom and dad

Request the pleasure of your company
    at the marriage of their children

Me
    and
    FI

It was very complicated and wordy, but in the end I think it worked out: 

Good luck!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I will say, our friends got married, and the bride's parents paid for a lot of the wedding, but the groom's parents paid for some of it too (like transportation, DJ, etc). But their wedding invitation just said:
    Mr. and Mrs. BridesParents request the honour of your presence...

And then they listed the bride and the groom, but NOT the groom's parents. I thought that was incredibly rude, especially cause the groom's parents paid for a chunk of the wedding too. So that definitely stuck out to me, and I felt kinda bad for the groom's parents.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards