Pre-wedding Parties

Engagement Party - Guest List

My mom is throwing my fiancee and I an engagement party this summer. We are starting to think about who we want to come, etc. Our wedding isn't until June 2012. But, we have approx. 185 people invited to our wedding, but everyone is from all over the east coast. Do we invite out-of-town guests? We would really like to keep it to about 100 people at our engagement party. We'd love our families to socialize with one another and have our friends there. Suggestions about our guest list are very much appreciated!

Re: Engagement Party - Guest List

• banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

The only musts for the engagement party are that you don't throw your own e-party and that e-party guests must be invited to the wedding.

We invited over 200 people to the wedding but our e-party guest list was 40.

MIL and FIL threw it and invited our WP plus close friends, parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles and that was it. 

• bablingbrookebablingbrooke member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You don't throw your own engagement party, so the number will be dictated by the host/hostess.  Then go from there.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • lizstill13lizstill13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would probably try to keep it to really close friends and family and those people who are local/semi-local to the party location. Just make sure that they are all invited to the wedding when it rolls around in 2 years.
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, I'd say if your wedding is over 2 years away, you may shoot yourself in the foot if you start inviting people to an e-party now.  You've got a long time until your wedding, and you can't be sure that you'll even be friendly with some people by then.

And for me, I wouldn't at all travel and have to make overnight accomodations for an e-party.  I adore my niece who lives in Boston, but there's just no way I'd travel there for an e-party.

I'd crawl over hot coals for her wedding, but it seems extreme to me to invite people from "all over the east coast" to an e-party.   And FWIW:  100 people sounds huge to me for an party like this.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto pp about overnight accommodations for out of towners. There were only two people invited from out of state and that's because they are in the wedding party and they were just told they could crash out my apartment after if they needed to.100 people for the engagement party sounds kind of excessive. That would be a huge event for a pre-wedding party.

For our engagement party it was just our wedding party (and their SO's) and family. We had about 30-35 people so it wasn't huge. It was just a cocktail party with hors d'oevres and cake. 

• edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone....My mom is throwing the party...We said 100 people (to be generous). I have lots of aunts and uncles that live in other cities. All our close friends live nearby and my FI has family in the area as well. My mom figured have a engagement party now, rather than too close to a wedding because then there will be bridal showers soon to follow. 

Thanks for the input everyone! :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards