Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Makeup Help

Hey All!

I'm looking to go somewhere and have someone help me figure out my makeup (I never wear makeup and honestly just want a natural smooth look, nothing that takes alot of time or skill since I'm a newb) so I can have some makeup for my engagement pictures.  They're in a couple weeks now and I was thinking of just going somewhere like Sephora or maybe an anchor store at the mall, usually places like this make me really nervous and I'm afraid they'll try to convince me to buy things I really don't want.  Any suggestions or good experiences with any particular store or another? I'll be looking at booking someone else to do my makeup the day of my wedding, but I'd just like something that looks nice for our engagement pictures. :-)

Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Makeup Help

• Have you checked out your local beauty schools to see if they do make up applications?  I can get one at our local Aveda Institute for $15 or at Regency Beauty School for $9.  For what you're probably spending on e-pictures I think it would be worth spending a few extra dollars on having it done really well.
  • I do make up specific to your skin and desired look Smile. if you're interested feel free to email me katelin_purl@yahoo.com. 
  • I'm going to a department store. I asked them and they said they get wedding makeup all the time. And there's no requirement to buy anything.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • aynos77aynos77 member
    First Comment
    edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_makeup-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:4ce77a7e-5a27-46c9-99d8-84c3d1de1314Post:620fde2e-64c1-4afc-9f10-2107027360ab">Makeup Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey All! I'm looking to go somewhere and have someone help me figure out my makeup (I never wear makeup and honestly just want a natural smooth look, nothing that takes alot of time or skill since I'm a newb) so I can have some makeup for my engagement pictures.  They're in a couple weeks now and I was thinking of just going somewhere like Sephora or maybe an anchor store at the mall, usually places like this m<font color="#FFCC00">ake me really nervous and I'm afraid they'll try to convince me to buy things I really don't want</font>.  Any suggestions or good experiences with any particular store or another? I'll be looking at booking someone else to do my makeup the day of my wedding, but I'd just like something that looks nice for our engagement pictures. :-) Thanks!
    Posted by KittennDave[/QUOTE]

I don't want to come off sounding rude, but the whole reason that you will feel like they are trying convince you to buy something, is because they do your makeup as a service to explain what products work best for you, so you KNOW WHAT TO BUY... They are not there just for people who want to look good for a day and not spend the money on a makeup artist at a salon, I think it is horribly rude to go to any makeup counter to get your makeup done for a special event, ESP if you do not plan to buy the makeup. why would your waste their time?
  • I've gotten my makeup done at a department store before and I was very happy with it, but I did buy many of the items she used. I agree with the PP, while I can understand not wanting to feel pressured to buy a bunch of stuff you won't use, I think you really should plan on buying something if you get your makeup done. One of my good friends works at the makeup counter for a department store. She gets paid on commission. So if someone comes to get their make up done and doesn't buy anything, she has spent time she would normally be selling items to customers donig their makeup for free.

Also it is a good idea to make an appointment and let them know you are coming. And show up on time! I have heard horror stories from my friend about brides who decide they want their makeup done for free at the makeup counter and then show up hours late and now need the entire bridal party's makeup done for free as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards