New York

XP - Mini-Honeymoon ideas?

FI and I were initially not able to go on a honeymoon, recently our situation has changed and I would like to plan something small locally.

Does anyone have some ideas for a relatively cheap (read $1,000 and under) get away? Maybe for a week or long weekend? Neither of us has a passport so the Canadian side of the falls is out. And lets be honest the American side isn't all that great.

Thanks ladies.

Re: XP - Mini-Honeymoon ideas?

• edited December 2011
    Finger Lakes!!!  LOVE the wineries and the cute B&Bs around the lake.
    Lake Placid or the Adirondacks are gorgeous also.
    I know the Poconos (PA) does lots of honeymoon specials at their hotels and they look pretty nice also.
    Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
    Online Garage Sale
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    monica & kevin married 5.28.11
    bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
    bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Lol... Kara... you beat me to it!  Haha
    Online Garage Sale
  • mgietler76mgietler76 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I considered NYC (I've never been there believe it or not lol) but I think I would rather do absolutely nothing that week. 

I was looking into Belhurst, but not sure where to stay there and if it's worth it. FI hates the idea of B&B's so that's out LOL
  • edited December 2011
    Glenora... pricey, but absolutely amazing... and they do treat you like royalty.
    Glass of champagne at check in.  Glass of port before bed.
    They have some sort of package that includes a helicopter tour of the Finger Lakes and (I think) a chauffeured wine tour... totally awesome!!!
    Online Garage Sale
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_central-new-york_xp-mini-honeymoon-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:621Discussion:e661e6a1-beef-4047-adc0-4557253156c0Post:d881750e-32fb-4202-a47b-8934aa6cb9df">Re: XP - Mini-Honeymoon ideas?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: XP - Mini-Honeymoon ideas? : I absolutely hear you there!! Well, maybe look into Florida? Or did you say staying local... I can't remember... but I know that there are some airline tickets ($100 bucks a person), and you can go to Orlando or something, and definitely be under the $1000 budget! Or even Virginia Beach or Ocean City.
    Posted by libordke22[/QUOTE]

Ugh, you couldn't PAY me to go to FL! LOL and FI won't fly anyways, which is why this is proving to be more difficult than I thought. I like the idea of the finger lakes region, I'm going to research some places, thanks for the tip.
  • edited December 2011
    I say the Adirondancks! My family built a camp up there on the lake and FI and I loooove going up! We're near water safari, but you can go past that even and its so pretty and you can get away and be in the quiet! Or come into town and be around people.

People are inherently stupid. Weddings make it painfully obvious -- KevinandMonica
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You know I never considered the Adirondacks, I haven't been there in years. Thanks for the tip.
  • edited December 2011
    Look into Lake Placid.  We were just up there for a wedding in September.  It was gorgeous!  Wish we could have stayed longer but I had to work the next day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    If you go to Bellhurst DO NOT stay in the castle. Its not re-done, its old, dreary, and drab. Stay at the newer inn they built, whatever they call it.. they are gorgeous, new, and the place to be! Then just drive down Seneca Lake and hit up a few wineries at your leisure to do some tastings! If you are really adventurous I can suggest some great restuarants in Geneva to visit as well while you are there (I grew up there.. my brother's gf/my bm is a chef in town)
    Photobucket
    image 169 Made the cut!
    image 137 Are ready to party! image29 Are missing out! image 3 Are making me crazy!
  • amyegunnipamyegunnip member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My future brother in law & his wife got married the day before Halloween and they took a "mini honeymoon" (4 days) before they go to Europe next year when they can afford it...they went to the Poconos and had a great time! Lake George is a fun idea too :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards