June 2013 Weddings

Cake on the brain...

Now that I have my most perfect cake topper, I can't get thoughts of the cake itself out of my head! I have cake on the brain!!!

I just scheduled my first cake tasting for Sunday and I can't wait. I'm literally reading about different flavor combinations and looking through different pictures, like constantly. I knew this part of the planning would be fun and I purposely put it off until after the new year because I wanted to get some of the bigger ticket items squared away first. But now, I can't bloody wait!!! I want cake! 

What have you ladies planned for your cakes? I'm sure the majority of you have this all taken care of already, so I'm curious... What flavors? How did you come up with a design? And, if you're willing to share, what was the price per serving? 

Can you guess what my vote for February's sig challenge will be?? Lol! 

Anniversary

Re: Cake on the brain...

• We lucked out on the cake front, my sister works at a bakery that specializes in events. She's making our cake as a wedding gift. Otherwise, her bakery charges $3 and up per person, and 3D, Cake-Boss style cakes start at $7 a slice.

We are doing a cannoli flavored cake, with a buttery, lightly cinnamon-almond flavored cake and mascarpone filling, with a thin layer of chocolate ganache in between the cake and the mascarpone filling (in lieu of chocolate chips).

I haven't decided on the decoration yet, I'm waffling between a rough iced buttercream or fondant with an art deco design (I'm not a fan of fondant though so I'm not sure yet).
  • edited January 2013
    I didn't want a wedding cake and was just going to have the venue serve dessert, but FI wants cupcakes so I think we are going with that.  I am waiting to hear back about doing a tasting and getting a price but their website says they start at $2.75, plus $150 set up and a cost to rent cupcake tower.  I am not too keen on the cupcake idea.  I am trying to do a sophisticated beach wedding and I am not sure how it will work out.  The only good thing is we can do several flavors.
    June 2013 * March Siggy Challenge * Shoes
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ours will look like this, but with 4 tiers and real flowers.

Bottom tier: Strawberry tiramisu (almond cake with mascarpone and fresh strawberries)

Tier 2: Almond Joy (chocolate cake with coconut-almond filling)

Tier 3 and top tier: Hummingbird (banana-walnut cake with pineapple cream cheese filling)

The buttercream will have just enough cocoa powder to make it that beige color.

Cake! - June 2013
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We're getting a round, three tier cake. It'll be either white cake with strawberry filling or chocolate cake with chocolate ganache filling depending on the layer. We're also getting a "cake boss" grooms cake in the shape of the cabin signs the program director at the summer camp we met at makes for overnight staff. We met at summer camp, so it's very fitting for us. It'll be chocolate cake with peanut butter filling. 

Here's what our cake will look like, except the candy will be in our wedding colors. 

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I'm a little sad that I won't be getting to use a blinged out monogram topper like I initially planned on but I think it's a fair trade off for this gorgeous cake I'm having replicated!

Best part - I'll be creating a bunch of the gumpaste flowers - FI said I can't make my own wedding cake, which I agree. But he never mentioned I can't do anything heehee

June '13 - Cake!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Books read in 2013 - 0/25
  • I love cake! We are doing a three tier cake. and we've decided to go with marble cake with raspberry and espresso filling. I can't remember the price per slice, but we are paying a little bit over $500, and the cake is supposed to feed up to 150 people. Here is what the cake looks like, except it will also have a bow on top, and the color of the bow if purple and the design is green (our wedding colors).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Emily, your flavors sound amazing!!!

Sssdee, you can still do your bling monogram topper! Either modify the amount of gumpaste flowers on top to accommodate the topper OR don't have any gumpaste flowers on top... you will still have tons of them on the lower tiers and your cake will still look the same. It's gorgeous, by the way!

Anniversary
  • Oh my goodness!! ALLof these flavors sound super yummy!!! I have NO idea what flavors we are going with. FI and I have our first tasting this Sunday. We are both so excited. I know I will be paying about $5 a slice, we are looking at close to $500. (we cut our guest list in half) 

I want a replica of this cake, but with Green and purple Gerbera daisies and our cake topper. I have been wanting this cake since he proposed.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2013-weddings_cake-on-the-brain?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f30b0bfc-508d-415c-bf59-ab83e327da37Discussion:2f7161dc-ea9d-4c9b-8b13-cf7981abb7dbPost:d0d9d67a-6f40-481b-876b-5c5b5d146c3e">Re: Cake on the brain...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh my goodness!! ALLof these flavors sound super yummy!!! I have NO idea what flavors we are going with. FI and I have our first tasting this Sunday. We are both so excited. I know I will be paying about $5 a slice, we are looking at close to $500. (we cut our guest list in half)  I want a replica of this cake, but with Green and purple Gerbera daisies and our cake topper. I have been wanting this cake since he proposed.
    Posted by Mikesgal419[/QUOTE]

<div>Is that a baseball cake with bats in between the layers!? That is amazing!</div>
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2013-weddings_cake-on-the-brain?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:f30b0bfc-508d-415c-bf59-ab83e327da37Discussion:2f7161dc-ea9d-4c9b-8b13-cf7981abb7dbPost:35dc0ae5-7272-4e1a-9a12-d887f1e5de2b">Re: Cake on the brain...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Emily, your flavors sound amazing!!! Sssdee, you can still do your bling monogram topper! Either modify the amount of gumpaste flowers on top to accommodate the topper OR don't have any gumpaste flowers on top... you will still have tons of them on the lower tiers and your cake will still look the same. It's gorgeous, by the way!
    Posted by brita722[/QUOTE]

I'll ask my baker friend for her opinion and to see if we can still do a bling monogram and have it look pretty.

I didn't want to change up the cake too much as I fell in love with the way this one looks so I am afraid to do too much different to it lol. I am a visual person - which is terrible sometimes.

And thank you :)
    June '13 - Cake!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Books read in 2013 - 0/25
  • Mikesgal419, that baseball cake is pretty awesome! I showed it to my FI and he loved it! Great choice :)

Anniversary
  • Our cake will look just like the one I have posted below, but instead of white flowers, we will have white/yellow flowers. Our colors are navy and yellow.  Flavors are chocolate cake with peanut butter swirl (bottom and top layer), vanilla with strawberry filling and vanilla with blackberry filling.  Our cake is included in the package we bought with the venue so I have no idea what the cost per piece is.

June 2013 - Jan Sig Challenge - Honeymoon - Punta Cana! imageWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards