Wisconsin

Milwaukee area seamstress recs

Hello!  I need to find a Milwaukee area seamstress to do my gown alterations.  (I didn't purchase it in state, so I can't just take it to the bridal salon where I bought it.)  Any good recommendations for someone who will do a great job and NOT charge me an arm and a leg?  I need to get it taken in 1 to 2 dress sizes, hemmed, and bustled.  I already contacted one seamstress who told me it will probably run me $400 to $600, which I think is astronomical...especially considering I only paid $615 for my dress.  I also contacted David's Bridal, but they won't alter a dress you didn't buy from them.  Help! :)

Re: Milwaukee area seamstress recs

• kerkmakerkma member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know FIg Leaf in Waterford has gotten good recommendations on here.  I had a bridesmaid's dress altered there this summer and they charged like $35.  A lady runs the business out of her home.  262-878-3573
    August 2012 Board February Siggy Challenge: Cake imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

I went to Fig Leaf. Carol & Virginia are partners and they did an awesome job with my dress. I had it taken in 1 and 1/2" and hemmed about 1" (I wore flat boots underneath.) They also placed a slip underneath my dress, which was awesome, because it had built-in crinoline. My dress had 7 layers (very fluffy- lots of tulle) so I’m sure it was a pain in the butt.
    They were VERY friendly! Initially, I bought a dress online, and Carol did my measurements for free. But I ended up buying the dress off the rack about a month before my wedding, so she was very understanding as far as getting an appointment so last minute. (And just so you know, she has worked with girls that have bought dresses from online companies.)
    My dress was ready by the second fitting (after alterations were done.) Also, they had an awesome idea of transporting my dress inside a bed sheet so it wouldn't get all crinkled. Carol took the time to give me extra tips on handling the dress, too!
    Including pressing the dress, she charged me about $120.00. I would recommend Fig Leaf to anyone! Fig Leaf is on Hwy 20, near Waterford/ Dover area- about 30 minutes from the south side of Milwaukee.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • kerkmakerkma member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good to hear; I have heard nothing but things about Fig Leaf and they were very reasonable about my bridesmaid dress.  Took up the straps as they were loose and fixed all of the bridesmaid dresses that had some weird stich in the back to make us all look like he had huge butts!!  And did it on a very short notice as well!  I definitely plan to take my wedding dress here for alterations/bussling when it gets to that time!
    August 2012 Board February Siggy Challenge: Cake imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you both so much!  I'll have to make a phone call. :)
  • edited December 2011
    Okay, so I called Carol today, and she said it will probably run me about $125!  Yay!
  • Does anyone have the contact information for fig leaf? I can't seem to find it on the internet...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards