New York-Upstate

Albany/upstate NY ceremony & reception location help

My fiance and I are looking for a location in the Albany/Cooperstown/Catskill/Hudson Valley/Saratoga area to host our ceremony and reception. Ideally, we are looking for an outdoor site (tented), or a renovated barn/rustic setting and are having a hard time searching for unique locations. The big name places are always advertised, but most prove to be out of our price range, and we are hoping for a more intimate setting. We will be having about 150 people (rough estimate). We have already looked at the Appel Inn in Altamont and loved the site but would like to see a few more before making a decision.

I appreciate any tips and advice anyone can give us....I am starting to feel very stressed because it seems places are already booking up for dates next spring and we dont want to miss out!

Re: Albany/upstate NY ceremony & reception location help

• edited December 2011
    The RPI barn is a 200 year old barn that they recently renovated. They are definetly worth a look. Also I keep hearing great things about crystal cove.
  • edited December 2011
    My cousin's wedding was at Crystal Cove, it was GORGEOUS!  The ceremony site was absolutely stunning and the reception hall had that open barn sort of feel, you should definitely look into it!
  • CourtAndDougCourtAndDoug member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It all depends on your budget... Also time of year, desired location (if its a hot spot for weddings that season), etc. The kink to Crystal Cove is http://www.crystalcoveweddings.com/
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Have you tried on of the local orchards...that would be pretty and you might be able to set up a tent and have it there..Just an idea!
  • BrenAndJoBrenAndJo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I need the same help!  We have fewer people (50-80) but we are looking for the same outdoors/intimate feel.  So far we have only looked at the RPI Dutch Barn, and I really liked it but I would like to see some other things before making the final decision.  Crystal Cove was another one we were going to look at. Another place we have been told to look is Pryun House who has a barn and lovely garden.  My other question is what are 'normal' prices for venues?  I know it depends on what is included but I felt that $2,000 was a bit much for simply the use of the grounds for Pruyn House and the RPI Barn.  Am I being crazy??  I'm a total wedding-virgin-  I have only been to 2 weddings ever! So I have no idea!!??
  • edited December 2011
    Hi!

I also looked at the RPI Barn and will also be having about 150 ppl.  We loved it but unfortunately once you get inside it's a bit small.  We would love to do a tented event but are realizing the cost may be more than booking a hall so are making another trip up in a couple weeks to look at more venues.  Another place we looked at and is still high on our list is The Lodge in Saratoga (featured also in Martha Stewart Weddings).  Again, the indoor space is a bit small (but pretty) but they have a large yard in the back for a tent and behind that are Polo Fields.  It's owned but the Gaming and Raceway but is in a different spot on the property than the Racino so you wont have any of that going on during your reception.  Alyssa is who we worked with is really nice but is hard to get a hold of sometimes.

Good Luck!  We thought finding a place for a tent would be easy but it is proving otherwise!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Another nice place for the ceremony is Busch Memorial at Russell Sage College.  They rent it out for weddings all the time.  It's an old church so it has a church feel w/ stained glass windows and beautiful architechure, but it's more modern!  And I believe it's fairly inexpensive.
  • edited December 2011

Check out Windham Mountain! Great location in the Hudson Valley, amazing value, and a gorgeous atmosphere.

First Comment
    edited December 2011

kevynrae- what did you think of Appel Inn?  That is one we are going to look at...we are going for the same feel as you! 
  • sportyone19sportyone19 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I recently booked the Appel Inn for a September wedding.  We fell in love with it;s rustic beauty as soon as we visited!   The inside is beautiful for our wedding of about 100 people... We are also having our ceremony on-site!  It was the exact country-style location that we were looking for, close the airport, which is perfect for our abundence of out-of-town guests!

• ryankjaryankja member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I recommend Rensselaerville Institute, which borders on the Catskills. Can easily do a tent.  They also have many rooms available for guests to stay in (which is a requirement of having a tent wedding...) Contact Sue Shufelt, their Event Planner.
    Good luck - I've done (2) tent weddings there with much success!
  • ryankjaryankja member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The barn in Defreetsville cannot accomodate 150 seated....
  • edited December 2011
    If you're looking IN Catskill, try The Kaaterskill , 424 High Falls Road Extension in Catskill. It's gorgeous, but the prices are a bit high. Another option, which is where our celebration is taking place, is The Historic Catskill Point. VERY well priced and gorgeous. Right on the river, and it goes perfectly with the rustic renovated barn feel! You can find the link to it on greatnortherncatskills.com!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards