Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Tell me a story...

2»

Re: Tell me a story...

• Options
    My H was so cute after sedation!  He kept telling me the same joke that the nurse had told him.  Right after we got in the car he wanted to call his mom to tell her how the tests had gone.  About 5 minutes later, he accusingly asked me why I hadn't called his mom yet.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_tell-story?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e396dc50-3f0e-45c9-a17a-b2c46d409be3Post:5cf143b1-aee3-4545-bd9a-5ef12b68c08c">Re: Tell me a story...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tell me a story... : Sep, that is AMAZING lol. When I had my tosnils taken out I had something similar happen, I was 22 and apparently getting your tonsils taken out later in life is more difficult. Anyway, my friend Cassie told me on FB that she was going to come visit (I saw this just before surgery, so I was excited) - that evening - eventhough I was heavily sedated she came to see me. I'm told that not only did I hug her, I made her get in bed with me and "read me a  story" - AND she brought 2 friends with her (that I knew, but not well) and I kept asking her why she brought strangers to see me when I was "dying." The next day, I got on facebook and wrote on her wall that I was totally bummed she didn't come see me. Little did I know that she, in fact, HAD come to see me and took video of me while I was knocked out -which was then plastered on FB for everyone to see. aaah...memories.
    Posted by LDYGTR13[/QUOTE]
    That is the best.  Please tell me thatyour wedding theme is Happy Days. :D
  • Options
    I don't respond well to sedation at all.  When I had my gallbladder out I was a mess.  After surgery I was wheeled into the recovery room where I woke up too quickly.  I became infuriated that my mother wasn't present because she told me she'd see me after.  I started scream and disturbing the other patients.  The nurses tried to calm me down but they ended up paging my mother over the intercom system to rush to the recovery room connected to the OR.  My poor mother thought I was dying.

When she gets in there I constantly inform her that I no longer have a gallbladder but its okay cause Athena (the nurse) said its okay.  I then introduce my mother to all of the nurses that are trying to keep me in bed.  I ended the little show with explaining that Athena is a greek name but that this Athena wasn't greek she was African American (apparently I said this in a bubby way and then hugged Athena, that poor woman).  Finally my doctor arrived and okayed me being sedated again so I shut up. 
  • Options
    I've never been sedated and after reading these stories I don't want to be.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I don't know why on earth my father ever thought this was a good idea, but my sister had surgery on her throat when she was a kid (like, maybe 8 or 9?). He wanted to buy her something for when she woke up, so he went out and bought a clown doll. Apparently it was the scariest clown doll anyone had ever seen. She came out of sedation and was face to face with this sinister clown doll and started screaming her poor little head off, even though her throat was all torn up.
  • Options
    Omgosh LDY! That is INSANE! I would be super mad and super excited if that happened. I would probably laugh at myself. PUHLEASE tell me that you still have those video recordings. Would love to see you embrace your inner 5yo from sedation.

And for the record: The FONZ will never be matched in awesomeness, dudeness, coolness or babe-magnetism. It's impossible. Rock on Fonz!
    I iz not Bridezilla.imageI iz Veloceraptor!

FOR SALE!!.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_tell-story?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e396dc50-3f0e-45c9-a17a-b2c46d409be3Post:184f64fb-84ce-4f02-8b35-724855dea88f">Re: Tell me a story...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've never been sedated and after reading these stories I don't want to be.
    Posted by pinkpinot[/QUOTE]
    It's not common, really.  I haven't had any problems after sedation.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_tell-story?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:e396dc50-3f0e-45c9-a17a-b2c46d409be3Post:5769e853-41e3-4805-b1b6-896cb5d13ad2">Re: Tell me a story...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tell me a story... : It's not common, really.  I haven't had any problems after sedation.
    Posted by AmoroAgain[/QUOTE]

I agree that it isn't common.  WHen I was sedated for knee surgeries, my wisdom teeth, and other assorted surgeries I didn't really have any issues.  It was just that one time after my gallbladder that things got crazy.  I'm guessing it was because I was under for so long due to their being complications (I ignored the pain and my gallbladder actually ruptured prior to surgery).
  • Options
    After I had my first foot surgery (for which I was under conscous sedation and managed to chat up the anesthesiologist the whole time, apparently) I was in the recovery room, hooked up to a machine that monitors your heartrate. I was a ballerina and in really good health with a very low resting heart rate. Well the machine was set to start beeping if your heartrate dropped below 50 bpm. The first time it went off I freaked out because it sounded like a flatline beep and I thought I was dying. I kept having to ask the nurses if I was ok and they kept telling me to keep moving and drink a soda to get my heartrate up. But I was so sleepy from the drugs and all I wanted to do was sleep. So the machine kept going off and I kept waking up in a panic about dying. They finally had to lower the heartrate alarm to beep when I went below 45.

As for being left behind, when I was 7 or 8 my girl scout troop went to Marine World. They had a petting zoo and we were all there. I was playing with the goats and looked up and everyone was gone. They had all moved on and left me there. I remember telling myself to be cool and find an adult. So I found someone wearing an employee shirt and told them, calmly, that I was lost. They blinked at me for a second, then took me to the information booth to wait until someone came to find me. I was there for an hour or so, along with another kid who got lost at the park, coloring and stuff. When one of the troop moms finally found me she was frantic. Apparently it took them a while to realize I was gone. Undecided
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    My family forgot my 18th birthday....

Granted, there was a lot going on at the time... Specifically my Mom was battling colon cancer for the past two years, and was for the most part still very sick.  My dad thought my older sister would handle it, and my sister thought the same thing. 

I can remember sitting on the sofa and thinking.... when Deb gets home she will have a cake; its going to be a surprise... Nope, no surprise that day....

I've gotten over it, and I can justify what happened, but its still a sting in my memories of growing up. 
  • Options
    OHHH... that KIND of forgotten... I figure it would be lame to delete my post, but I do have another forgotten story.

My parents would picnic at a state park every weekend.  This particular time my Dad had to pick up his boss from the airport, and he left me an my Mom at the park, and headed out.  On the way back from the airport there was a major accident and he was stuck in traffic.  Meanwhile, back at the park its starting to get dark.  Mom has no car, we have no one around us, and for this city girl its getting pretty damn creepy. Crckets are infinitely scary! 

Dad arrived 6 hours later... Mom and I are huddled on a park bench, stranded and thinking he was dead....

To this day I cannot be "dropped" off for anything.  If I don't have my own means of transportation or getting there, I am staying home!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_tell-story?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e396dc50-3f0e-45c9-a17a-b2c46d409be3Post:184f64fb-84ce-4f02-8b35-724855dea88f">Re: Tell me a story...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've never been sedated and after reading these stories I don't want to be.
    Posted by pinkpinot[/QUOTE]

It's fun though! I'm a big fan of sedation - probably just because everyone I know gets funny stories out of it!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_tell-story?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e396dc50-3f0e-45c9-a17a-b2c46d409be3Post:1b8ceaf6-8843-4585-b51f-fb4316fff0b8">Re: Tell me a story...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't know why on earth my father ever thought this was a good idea, but my sister had surgery on her throat when she was a kid (like, maybe 8 or 9?). He wanted to buy her something for when she woke up, so he went out and bought a clown doll. Apparently it was the scariest clown doll anyone had ever seen. She came out of sedation and was face to face with this sinister clown doll and started screaming her poor little head off, even though her throat was all torn up.
    Posted by mandapanda78[/QUOTE]

Ooh, clowns are NOT okay - ever. I used to have one that sat on a swing hung to the walls in a high corner in my room...thing scared the crap out of me. I would never sleep facing that wall.
  • Options
    Birdie1483Birdie1483 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited September 2010
    I can't think of any good stories for myself but FI had a good one from when he was backpacking over seas before he met me.

He was in Rome and went with some people he met at his hostile on a bar crawl. There was an American chick that worked at the hostile that was with the group and she ended up asking FI to hold her phone or something. Well he proceeded to get black out drunk and apparently wandered off from the group. The last thing he remembered was drinking with friends, but he somehow woke around 4 or 5am on the steps of a Cathedral completely NOT where the bar crawl was taking place.

He had been all slouched over on the steps and when he woke up his bar crawl t-shirt was missing along with a ring he had on, American chick's cell phone, and some other stuff. He had no idea where he was so he just started walking. He eventually came upon a river and realized he had been walking the wrong direction. He turned around and eventually made it back to the hostile. American chick was FURIOUS when she found out he had been mugged and lost her phone. He had to slip out when she wasn't looking to avoid her wrath.
  • Options
    When I was about 10 years old, my mom used to drive us to school in the morning. Well, I had forgotten my jacket that morning and I decided to run in the house to get it. I ran right past my mom and I guess she didn't see me. She closed and locked the door behind her. By the time I got the door unlocked she was already down the drive way and on her way down the street. So I started running after the car yelling at her to stop. She did stop. She asked me what had happened and when did I get back in the house. I wonder how long she would have driven without realizing I wasn't in the car. lol.

Maya
    (ISSR Shiloh Shepherd)
    wedding websites
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards