New Jersey

Jillyan Scarpa from Skin Bar & Paint for makeup

Due to the influx of hair/make-up inquiries, I figured I'd post my recommendation on here. I had my trial with Jillyan 2 weeks ago and I absolutely LOVED her. Not only is she talented and made my face look flawless, she has the best personality and really makes you feel like you and your day are important to her. Unlike most MAs, she does not require a minimum amount of people in order to travel to you, and she is very reasonable (my trial was $50, on-location bridal makeup including travel, airbrush and false eyelashes $150, and any additional person $65). She even said she would do ala cart - so if one girl doesn't want makeup but wants eyelashes, she has no problem only doing that. She is even only charging about $20 for my grandma, who she understands obviously isn't going to go all out with makeup.

If she does as good of a job on the big day as she did for my trial I will be extremely happy. She is wonderful and I highly recommend anyone looking for an on-location MA to check her out. Her business is in Little Falls (which is where she does trials). They also do hair, but I already booked La Sorella so I did not inquire about prices, etc. on that.

http://www.skinbarandpaint.com/

PS- A big THANK YOU to all you knotties that recommended her in previous posts.

Re: Jillyan Scarpa from Skin Bar & Paint for makeup

• Faith2730Faith2730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Great choice! I had that same combo for makeup and hair. I posted reviews a few posts down.
  • goaliegirlgoaliegirl member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I had booked Jillyan for my make-up and my trial was awesome, but she ended up having to go out of town for my wedding and another one of her people Johanna did my make-up day of, and it ended up being great but I will say that I have heard far too many times lately where Jillyan backs out of has something come up where she can't be there day of.    I understand things happen once in awhile but it sure seems like it is happening a lot lately, so I would be sure she has a back up in case of this.
  • edited December 2011
    I also booked w/ Jillyan and have to say that ur more likely to not get her the day of then to get her. I would just ask for and book ur trial w/ Michelle instead since most likely thats who u are really gonna get. She did a very nice job for us as well, but it may be better business to just be honest upfront and say u'd rather book your co-workers then urself for weddings. Emergencies do happen, but Id say of almost everyone I have heard of booking Jillyan the last few months, she had one reason or another to need to cancel
  • GiaspoGiaspo member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I was reading this thread and thinking the exact same thing. I met Jillyan and thought she was a doll but the recent trips to the ER and pulling out last minute to go to a family event just scared me a bit. Why don't you try Michelle to see if you like her? It sounds like she is a good backup. And if you do get Jillyan you know it will be great. GL!
  • cindyn9178cindyn9178 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PPs...someone just posted another review the other day, about how she called her last minute saying she had somewhere to go for her daughter, she still came later though.. but still, I believe that was the 5th time on this board that I heard of her cancelling, or "something coming up". To me, that just isn't good business, and it is obviously beginning to give her a bad reputation here.
  • edited December 2011
    I also had her for my trial and loved her.  But, the Wednesday before my wedding, she said she had to cancel to fly to Chicago for a family emergency and I ended uo with Michelle instead.  I love Michelle just as much and thought she did a fabulous job (my mom wasn't even going to get her make-up done but thought Michelle did such a good job that she changed her mind at the last minute). 
    Visit The Nest!
  • edited December 2011
    Oh no!
    This totally sucks because she has been my favorite vendor to work with so far!
    I'm very glad at the same time though because if I didn't know this and she cancelled on me I'd be freaking. I've already booked her so there's no going back and I really don't want to look for another MA this close to the date.
    If Michelle is just as good as you all say than I can rest easy.

But yea that's really REALLY bad business if she's making a habit out of it - especially for an important event like a wedding. I'm really surprised.

Thanks again Knotties!
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_jillyan-scarpa-skin-bar-paint-makeup?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:3b1a3bc3-3ef9-4d85-a7d3-ab01ff39f6acPost:5d513773-9853-4bd8-9266-66bbb04bb816">Re: Jillyan Scarpa from Skin Bar & Paint for makeup</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh no! This totally sucks because she has been my favorite vendor to work with so far! I'm very glad at the same time though because if I didn't know this and she cancelled on me I'd be freaking. I've already booked her so there's no going back and I really don't want to look for another MA this close to the date. If Michelle is just as good as you all say than I can rest easy. But yea that's really REALLY bad business if she's making a habit out of it - especially for an important event like a wedding. I'm really surprised. Thanks again Knotties!
    Posted by LudaSeka[/QUOTE]
    How close to your date are you? It doesn't matter if you've already booked her, you could still cancel and book someone else if you really wanted to. Unless she provided something different to you, she doesn't provide any kind of real "contract", or require a deposit, so you wouldn't be losing out on anything if you found someone else you wanted to use.. Just saying...

Personally, if I paid for a trial with someone, and booked that person, I'd be extremely annoyed if someone else ended up doing my makeup the day of the wedding. Otherwise, why have a trial at all?
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't worry about it. I know it has happened a lot recently, but any artist could have something come up last minute. At least you know Jillyan does have really good backups. Jillyan really does care about her clients and if something did come up you know your in good hands. I would definitely just make sure she does have someone available just in case something came up. I was upset when I found out Jill couldn't come the original time she was suppose to, but Michelle ended up being wonderful. Jill also kept her word and came to my venue and did free touchups for everyone. She really was concerned with making sure I was happy. I would still recommend her.
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Everybody has emegencies/things come up, once in awhile. With her, it seems to be excessive.
  • rr2011rr2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used Jillyan and everything was perfect.
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_jillyan-scarpa-skin-bar-paint-makeup?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:3b1a3bc3-3ef9-4d85-a7d3-ab01ff39f6acPost:79f0daf8-edf6-4732-acab-4cd703e96151">Re: Jillyan Scarpa from Skin Bar & Paint for makeup</a>:
    [QUOTE]I used Jillyan and everything was perfect.
    Posted by rr2011[/QUOTE]
    I'm just curious.. aside from you, how many people's makeup did she do that day for your wedding?
  • edited December 2011
    I wouldn't want a backup unless it is an real emergency. I would want the person I did a trial with, if someone else comes to the wedding it defeats the purpose of tryig them out prior.
    I think knottie "bridetobe730" is a lot more understanding than I would be. Just because she came to do a touch up wouldn't excuse the fact that she cancelled a couple days before the wedding. And the reason was not an emergency so I would be really upset. It's just not good business.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_jillyan-scarpa-skin-bar-paint-makeup?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:3b1a3bc3-3ef9-4d85-a7d3-ab01ff39f6acPost:a39faf3a-ed13-4f8f-a837-6507593cb162">Re: Jillyan Scarpa from Skin Bar & Paint for makeup</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wouldn't want a backup unless it is an real emergency. I would want the person I did a trial with, if someone else comes to the wedding it defeats the purpose of tryig them out prior. I think knottie "bridetobe730" is a lot more understanding than I would be. Just because she came to do a touch up wouldn't excuse the fact that she cancelled a couple days before the wedding. And the reason was not an emergency so I would be really upset. It's just not good business.
    Posted by TLuvT[/QUOTE]

She didn't actually cancel on me she just wanted to push the time up. I was the one who decided to have Michelle come so the time wouldn't be pushed up. Yes, I was upset at first but what are you going to do. Sure makeup is important, but it's not the end of the world and I got over it. I still think she is really talented and would go back to her.
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_jillyan-scarpa-skin-bar-paint-makeup?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:3b1a3bc3-3ef9-4d85-a7d3-ab01ff39f6acPost:a39faf3a-ed13-4f8f-a837-6507593cb162">Re: Jillyan Scarpa from Skin Bar & Paint for makeup</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wouldn't want a backup unless it is an real emergency. I would want the person I did a trial with, if someone else comes to the wedding it defeats the purpose of tryig them out prior. I think knottie "bridetobe730" is a lot more understanding than I would be. Just because she came to do a touch up wouldn't excuse the fact that she cancelled a couple days before the wedding. And the reason was not an emergency so I would be really upset. It's just not good business.
    Posted by TLuvT[/QUOTE]
    I completely agree, and to me, aside from my dress, the makeup is probably the second most important thing about my appearance that I'd be concerned with, so it would be a HUGE problem if the person I had booked cancelled on me at the last minute.If the makeup wasn't that important to me, I wouldn't have hired a professional makeup artist in the first place.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards