Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Out of State Wedding Etiquette

Hello,
I have a couple questions. I was invited to two out of state weddings with in 6 months of each other. One was back in November of 2011 and the next one is in April of this year. I couldn't attend the first cousin's November wedding, since Christmas was right around the corner, but a gift was sent. I'm thinking about going to the wedding in April. Should I go to the April wedding, even though I wasn't able to go to the other one? Should I not go to either and just send gifts so it doesn't look like I'm playing favorites. Lastly, will me not being in attendance to either wedding have consequences such as, them not coming to my wedding, which won't be for a few years? Any comments are greatly appreciated, thank you!

Re: Out of State Wedding Etiquette

• Options
    I don't think the November wedding & April wedding have anything to do with each other.  You weren't able to attend in November.  You will be able to attend in April, if you wish.  It shouldn't have anything to do with whether or not these couples attend your future wedding either.  Go to the April wedding if you want to.  I would not be offended if you didn't attend my wedding & wouldn't refuse to attend yours later on if I was invited.
  • Options
    Go to the weddings you can afford to go to.  Nobody's going to think you're a jerk for only being able to go to the one in April.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_out-of-state-wedding-etiquette-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:90aea3cc-3fd3-47e8-a22b-4538cc241114Post:aa9af24e-0062-4ccd-b338-3abe17261e4d">Out of State Wedding Etiquette</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello, I have a couple questions. I was invited to two out of state weddings with in 6 months of each other. One was back in November of 2011 and the next one is in April of this year. I couldn't attend the first cousin's November wedding, since Christmas was right around the corner, but a gift was sent. I'm thinking about going to the wedding in April. Should I go to the April wedding, even though I wasn't able to go to the other one? Should I not go to either and just send gifts so it doesn't look like I'm playing favorites.<strong> Lastly, will me not being in attendance to either wedding have consequences such as, them not coming to my wedding, which won't be for a few years?</strong> Any comments are greatly appreciated, thank you!
    Posted by amandamacek[/QUOTE]

I've never met your or your family so I don't know.

If you want to go to the April wedding, go to the April wedding.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_out-of-state-wedding-etiquette-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:90aea3cc-3fd3-47e8-a22b-4538cc241114Post:ba83cb20-cb38-4d5d-90dc-99fa90fc6813">Re: Out of State Wedding Etiquette</a>:
    [QUOTE]Etiquette doesn't include any stipulations for "eye for an eye." Etiquette says that you go to the events as best as you can, and respectfully decline the ones you absolutely cannot attend, with only gracious thanks from the host. <strong>Families, however, count beans and keep score. So the question isn't etiquette, but how insane is your family?</strong>
    Posted by AFP07[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree with this... </div><div>
    </div><div>That said, there's nothing etiquette related keeping you from going to the wedding in April if you want to. </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards