California-Los Angeles

Where did you shop for your dress?

I'm not going dress shopping until late in the summer, but I'm starting to think about places I'd like to go. David's Bridal always seems to be put down, but there are quite a few dresses on the website that I really like! I was also thinking of going to Castle for Brides in Huntington. Where else should I go? Where did you go? I'm on a pretty tight budget as well.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Where did you shop for your dress?

• edited December 2011
    Me and my SIL bought our dressesat Mariposa Boutique in Anaheim. A great selection in dresses within all price ranges and the girls who work there are wonderful. Jessica is awesome. I loved this shop better than all the shops I went to.
  • jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    DB differs from store to store when it comes to their customer service.  I've been to a couple of horrible ones and a couple of really great ones.  If there are dresses you like on the website then you really should go to check them out.  My only recommendation with DB is to not have your dress altered with them because their prices are very high compared to the independent seamstresses I've seen.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • nikojammnikojamm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I see you're in OC, but if you are going to make any trips to LA, some of us really liked Pebbles in Woodland Hills.  I had a terrific experience there and they have a wide range of dresses/prices!  GL!
  • edited December 2011
    I went to Alfred Angelo in Beverly Hills, which is a similar bridal chain to David's Bridal. Make sure to get an appointment with Valerie if you go! The prices are also similar to DB. I got my alterations done out of house, though.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-los-angeles_did-shop-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:68Discussion:af414ba7-d78c-4b43-96fc-950267a0dc1ePost:12b7c10e-4d55-416f-a794-469c21aee73f">Re: Where did you shop for your dress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I see you're in OC, but if you are going to make any trips to LA, some of us really liked Pebbles in Woodland Hills.  I had a terrific experience there and they have a wide range of dresses/prices!  GL!
    Posted by nikojamm[/QUOTE]
    <em>Oh ya I went to Pebbles Bridal too and the customer service was great and a huge selection of dresses. If you go, try and get a weekday appointment. Just like most places it gets busy on the weekend.</em>
  • Vans18Vans18 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got mine at Uniquely Elegant Attire it's in Rancho Cucamonga and they have many dresses from low$ to high$$$. I've also heard great things about Pebbles in Woodland Hills but that's a bit far for you. If I see anything around I'll let you know ;)
  • edited December 2011
    I just went to DB today in Torrance. I received great service there and left with my dress! (Sash, veil, and shoes are on order).

If you want to make the drive out there, Kathleen was the girl who helped me. She was so sweet.

I have to go elsewhere to get alterations since I want to alter the dress and Kathleen said that they couldn't do it there. However, before the wedding, I can bring the dress in for them to look over (for stray threads etc) and steam. Regardless of where I got it altered :)
    November11 Siggy challenge: You and your fiance!

imageWedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• edited December 2011
    If you are on a tight budget, I'd stick with David's Bridal.  I think they are great.  Almost 2 months after my wedding, the one thing I would have changed would have been not stressing so much about a stupid dress and probably buying one on ebay.  I bought mine at David's mostly because they had my size - 2 petites to try on unlike 12's at the bridal stores and dresses over $1k.  looking back, I feel silly for worring if I got the right dress.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    November11 Siggy challenge: You and your fiance!

imageWedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• edited December 2011
    I went to Ferndales in OC. It's in Tustin. They are pretty good there.

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Brianna has read 1 book toward her goal of 26 books.
    hide
    Photobucket Happily ever after
  • jwdeldottojwdeldotto member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Avoid Marylinn's Bridal in Pasadena...they have the worst services..and their sales consultants are VERY pushy.  The sales girl tries to make me buy the first dress I tried on...and It was my first visit to any Bridal Salons....and when I finally decided to "sit on it", her face turned mad and walked away!

I would recommend The Dresser in Fullerton, CA.  The staff there are very friendly....and they let you take your time cuz they don't work on commissions. 

But if you are looking for a large gown selection, try Karoza in Glendale.  They carry alot of styles/brands.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm actually renting my dress through One Night Affair. They are AMAZING! Their alteress is AMAZING and can completely customize any dress you choose to your liking. HIGHLY recommend them!
  • edited December 2011
    I bought my gown from Cinderella Bridal downtown LA (Broadway @ 4th). While I had to go somewhere else to try it on, I ultimately ordered from them because they had a great price on the gown, offer free alterations (bust and waist) and low deposit to place the order ($200).

I found the gown I wanted in stock at Ibex, so I went there so I could try it on.  I was not willing to buy without trying as a bride with curves. The owner was horrible and they were trying to sell me the gown for $300 more than all the other salons who were willing to order for me.  Chanelle at Ibex was great, but the pricing is inflated. 

I also had a great expereince with David's Bridal in Northridge.  I believe the consultant was Barbara.  She was amazing. She had a great eye for the inventory that would best compliment me.  Everything she showed me was a great choice.  Some gowns can run as high as $1600 at David's, so beware of that before you get your heart set on a gown.  There are some great mid-price designers out there Allure, Mori Lee, Maggie Sottero, some Pronovias, etc that will give you great gown options for under $1600.  Happy shopping.
    Anniversary
  • ShabnamshShabnamsh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm actually getting my dress made at Thumbelina's, She is amazing and affordable and you get what you want. I am paying $2500 for a $5000 dress with even better quality made just the way I want it. She is in Studio City and is super sweet. She loves what she does.

Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I bought my gown at Pebbles in Woodland Hills. I highly recommend them!  I also went in on a Friday afternoon. They dont take appts. but their service and selection was great! I'd been to Mariposa and Kays in Simi and DB and Alfred Angelo along with a myriad of stores in Temple City. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I really lucked out in this regard. Since our wedding was pushed up from 7/2012 to 08/2011, I needed something off the rack/smaller store (not a bridal salon). I checked in with the people at J. Crew at The Grove. They encourage you to make an appointment to try on samples (look on the website before you go in) and talk to Emily (for the bride) or Donnie (for the groom).

323-939-1070, ext. 2
    donnie.white@jcrew.com

Super helpful. They order your dress and ship it, which takes 3-6 days.

As it happened, I tried on a gown in Nordstrom by BCBGMAXAZRIA. It didn't fit quite right, so I went home, looked up their dresses online, then went over to the store in Beverly Hills to try on others. Within twenty minutes I found a stunner in my size that was very reasonably priced (sale and an additional amount off for the holiday weekend).

I've heard Dina's Bridal in Santa Monica is great if you don't mind a low-key experience. If I hadn't found anything in the shops, that was next on my list.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • akavanaghakavanagh member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I bought my dress at Cruz's Bridal, but it is in Santa Clarita, so I know that is quite a drive. However the owner, Adriana does a great job at working with you, your style and your price! Good luck!
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards