Students

Working while in school....

When I was completing undergrad I was able to do 15-18 credit hours (sometimes 12 of which were studio credits) and work 30 hours a week serving and bartending. With additional time to be able to make it to art events which are important for completing a BFA.

So naturally I believed with my MFA I could do the same with 20 hours a week, and only 7 studio credit hours. But its tough, I'm working 9 or 10 hour shifts and only making 15% of my sales due to the college atmosphere (I used to make 20% to 30% of my sales at my old job back home). I am missing out on artist talks, openings, everything since I'm working from like 4pm to 3 am on the weekends.

My boyfriend just got a raise, and I'm getting my student loan money in January. I'm thinking about quiting my job and filling in my time with something that isn't bartending like museum internships, volunteering or hell even part time job at a framers. I'm so frustrated with not being able to put my whole self in my schooling. And next semester my work load is doubling.

This is part vent, but I want to know how some other knotties deal with school full time and not having a job on top of that.
August 9, 2015

Re: Working while in school....

• I've worked the entire time during my undergrad degree, mostly working every single weekend. It will pay off in the end because I will graduate on time! I try to have at least one day off per week.
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards