Michigan-Detroit

NWR: Sad News

So, apparently my horrible Monday was indicative of my week ahead (as I feared it would be).

We received a call last night that MIL suffered a major stroke.  She's in a coma, unable to eat or drink.  She already has a medical directive stating she wants no extraordinary measures (including insertion of a feeding tube).  So, we were informed that she likely only has a couple more days.

DH is devistated.  Last night is the first time I have ever seen him cry.  We also had to sit down and explain it to my step-daughter, which was absolutely heart-wrenching.  She cried so hard.

We looked into flights back to his hometown, but they are $1,300 a person.  Delta does offer bereavement discounts, so I'll have to call and see how much those are.  Otherwise, we're going to be making the 18 hr drive.

Re: NWR: Sad News

• edited December 2011
    Oh gosh, I am so sorry.  I cannot imagine loosing a parent yet - it still seems like we're all too young.  But I know it doesn't always work that way.  I hope the good memories offer some comfort but take care.  I'll be thinking of you guys.
  • Julz629Julz629 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh Melanie, I'm so sorry!  This must be so difficult.  I am thinking of you and your family.
    Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Melanie I am so sorry to hear that.  Thoughts and prayers being sent your way.  

Where is home?  I would love to see if maybe I can find something cheaper for you guys.  I'm sure you looked everywhere but I would love to give it a shot if I can!  
    Photobucket Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry to hear that Mel.... how awful you had to explain to your step daughter. We'll be thinking of you and I hope you guys find a way to fly back. Ditto Stebbe- we're happy to scour the internet for deals if you need us to!

Thoughts and prayers to you, your husband and step-daughter. It's awful to lose a parent, but it's good you have each other!
  • edited December 2011
    OMG! Melanie - I am soooooo sorry to hear this! Sending prayers and miracles your way......
  • cwimer6154cwimer6154 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm deeply sorry to hear this.  Good luck and well wishes for you and DH"s family.  I hope you will be able to get there in time to see her.  ::hugs:: 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • klreese0213klreese0213 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh dear. i'm so sorry to hear about your MIL.
  • edited December 2011
    I am so, so sorry.  I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.  
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.  I'll pass them along to DH.  If I can't get anywhere with Delta on the bereavement discount, I will surely take you guys up on the offer for cheaper plane tickets. 

I've checked everything.  Other airports, including Minneapolis and renting a car for the 5 hr drive north, but those are still over $500 a person, and I'd still have to rent a car.  I'm sure the holiday weekend isn't helping prices at all.  But really, $3,900 for 3 people to fly to Minnesota???  It would only cost us $300 in gas (round trip) to get out there...but it's 18 hours...with a 6 year old...and not a lot of time to spare.
  • edited December 2011
    Try this website:  http://us.lastminute.com/ 

I have had a lot of luck on here before.   They are all packages that include a hotel or car rental which might help you out.  I looked for Minneapolis and it looked like it was $550 pp but that was with flight and rental car.  Good luck!!  
    Photobucket Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Melgor78Melgor78 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry to hear this.  Gl with finding a flight.  T & P to you and your family.
  • Thumper1148Thumper1148 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So sorry to hear about this!!  **HUGS**  I will keep your family in my prayers!
  • sunkissed212sunkissed212 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry to hear this. Sending thoughts and prayers your way during this difficult time. Stay strong!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    TTC #1 since 8/2010...2 years, 6 IUI's and 1 m/c later...
    08/2012 IVF #1, 2 5-day blasts transferred 8/19 = BFP! Beta 1 (8/28)=241, Beta 2 (8/30)=457, Beta 3 (9/5)=3,813, u/s 9/13=Twins!, u/s 9/21=Surprise...there's one more! TRIPLETS!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • GwenwhyfareGwenwhyfare member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Very sorry to hear about your sad news. Sending lots of T & P to you and your family.
    There is no death. Only a change of worlds
    life | home
  • mlmamomlmamo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So sorry to hear the sad news. That is such a difficult situation. My heart goes out to you and your family and I'll pray for you.
  • edited December 2011
    I am so sorry to hear about this!! Thoughts and prayers your way. I found a few cheap prices (with tax included) for you below (3 passengers), many with no booking fees. Destination is to Minneapolis Airport most leaving on Friday.,:

through Priceline: flights from $510
    Cheaptickets - $427 leaving out of Flint, or $510 from Metro Airport
    Onetravel.com - $485
    Cheapoair.com- $485
    Tripadvisor- $431 from Flint, $511 from Metro
    American Airlines ( AA.com) $234!
    Orbitz - $427 flint, $510 Metro, also Flight & Car, $619pp
    Expedia - $1919.70 with roundtrip flight and rental car

I hope these help! I used my travel ticker account to find these prices...so if you cant find them, please email me right away at starkissedpirate at yahoo. Good luck and God bless.

Photobucket ~Kat~ wedding websites
  • edited December 2011
    Melanie, I am so sorry to hear about your MIL. You and your DH's family are in my thoughts during this difficult time.
  • weddingcourtweddingcourt member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am so sorry to hear about your MIL. My heart and prayers goes out to you and your family.
  • edited December 2011
    Your family is in my thoughts.  So sorry to hear the news.  I hope you find a decent way to get home.
  • edited December 2011
    Oh, that's awful. I am so sorry. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry to hear this. Your family will be in my thoughts/prayers.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    oh wow... *HUGS*
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Photobucket Visit Detroit.Weddings.com

I'm a guest blogger on 12Kwedding.com
  • edited December 2011
    MEL...what do you mean NWR....this is definitely worth reading. I m so sorry about what you are going through right know. I lost my dad about 2 months after we got engaged so I understand that this is really hard for you right now. Please let us know if there is anything that we can do to help you right now.
    cjae2 Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards