Just Engaged and Proposals

My special surprise proposal!

This is a bit of a long story...but it doesn't sound nearly as good unless it is told in full.

So...my fiancee, Bethany, and I started dating in November of 2007.  After a year and a half together, we went to look at rings at Robbins Brothers.  While looking, I spotted a ring which I loved and thought would be perfect.  I had my girlfriend try it on, along with some others, and didn't mention it again.  I decided soon after that I wanted to order a ring, so my parents took me to our family jeweler and I ordered the ring in early July 2009.  I couldn't wait for the ring to come.

Finally, in early August, the ring arrived!  I wasn't sure how to propose, so I told Bethany I was having trouble picking a ring.  She was sure I wouldn't be proposing for months, so she didn't want to go look at rings and get excited about them.  I told her if she went with me it might help me make a decision and speed up the proposal.

I called the jewler ahead of time and they said they would show us some rings and act like they didn't know what was going on.  So, on August 13th, we drove to the jewelry store down in Laguna Beach.  They jeweler showed us a few rings and then said she would go get some more out of the back.  She came back with three rings, one of them being a ring Bethany had seen online and loved!  I was worried she would love it and it would be bad when it wasn't hers!  It turns out the ring looked totally different in person and didn't match her at all!  Then I picked up her ring and put it on her finger.  I asked her if it fit while I got down on my knee.  She looked at it and said it fit, and I asked if she would marry me.  She looked at me a bit confused and I told her it was her ring she was wearing.  She got very excited and got a little teary-eyed and said YES!  She was very surprised and loved it!  We took a few pictures at the jewelry store and then called everyone we could think of!

Re: My special surprise proposal!

• Nathaniel,
    What a wonderful proposal! I am sure she is overjoyed! :) Congrats! You put in a lot of hard work and thought for that special moment. You should be proud.
  • How does your FI feel about begging for donations on an online site?
  • If I were your FI and saw that you were asking for donations because you could not afford the wedding that I wanted, I would be highly pissed and very embarrassed. Has she seen that? Does she know that you are asking for donations? If so, then she is just as much to blame. If not, I suggest that you speak to her about your finances and let her know that you will need to scale down a bit and have the wedding that you both can afford.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_proposed-fiancee?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:d9b87080-000b-4d36-8d67-e367c496a66dPost:6e2548e1-5a8f-4086-aa02-6ec6527ee467">Re: My special surprise proposal!</a>:
    [QUOTE]If I were your FI and saw that you were asking for donations because you could not afford the wedding that I wanted, I would be highly pissed and very embarrassed. Has she seen that? Does she know that you are asking for donations? If so, then she is just as much to blame. If not, I suggest that you speak to her about your finances and let her know that you will need to scale down a bit and have the wedding that you both can afford.
    Posted by cew515[/QUOTE]

This exactly.  Or you can just push the date back until you're able to save enough money on your own.

Also, I think the only reason you posted this was to get people to click on your link to donate. I'd be VERY surprised if anyone from The Knot actually donated money to you.
  • I agree with pp. Your site is based mostly on donations. My fiance and I are really tight financially, we live in a one bedroom apartment with our 3 year old son, he is in school about to graduate and we both work part time. I am a tad different though since I have an autoimmune disorder which eats away at my large intestine. Most of our income is taken up by medical bills and medication. We have an understanding that we don't have enough to plan the wedding we'd love to have and have set a date further away. In my opinion you should save up instead of beg for money. To me you made this post to tell about your website and ask for money. I only se these types of websites for people who need the money for worthwile things...like college, medical help ect. Marraige can wait till you have the funds or scale back.
  • Sorry, I've got my own wedding to pay for, by myself, on a budget that we can afford.

Good for you for proposing, but I'm with others, I'd be mortified if FI did this and had a bunch of sponsors like a NASCAR race.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_proposed-fiancee?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:d9b87080-000b-4d36-8d67-e367c496a66dPost:d0428de1-a684-442a-b559-192277c67d92">My special surprise proposal!</a>:
    [QUOTE] P.S.  I made a website dedicated to keeping track of our wedding planning, allowing people to comment, give advice and ideas, and vote on decisions, and to donate a buck or two if they'd like.  Check it out at <a href="http://helpmarryme.com" rel="nofollow">http://helpmarryme.com</a> Thanks!
    Posted by nlink1712[/QUOTE]

I think it's really cute that you are the fiance and are posting about your sweet proposal - but, I've got to tell you that I don't like your begging.  (Is that even allowed here?)

Good luck with your planning.
  • MNVegasMNVegas member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited November 2009
    Since when did TK start letting people beg for money on these boards. Nice proposal, but very TACKY asking for money.

BTW, you might want to vist the "budget wedding" board to get ideas, so you don't have to beg for $$
  • Wow, that's interesting.  I've never seen a charity wedding before...  Maybe instead of Black Friday shopping for comforters etc, as per your blog, you could be saving for an event that you can afford.  You could check out budget weddings for some ideas on how to make your special day affordable for you instead of asking others for money.  Congrats though on your engagement.
  • I think many people are in hard times right now.  It is rediculous to ask people to donate to your wedding.  I think it is disgusting.  There are way better causes people should donate too.  This is really selfish.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Donations? Sponsors?? This is a JOKE right!

Here's hoping someone donates a book on etiquette to you.
  • Nope, not a joke.  At least I don't think so.  The website seems real.  All I can say is "wow".  No-one has donated yet according to the website.  According to their blog, they just did a Black Friday shopping spree, including a $375 down comforter....  Um, yeah.  I'm going with "no" on that charity.
  • Cute proposal and congrats, but if I found out that my FI posted something like this (referring to the donation website) I would be royally pissed and embarassed!!

The wedding should be about your marriage to each other. While I realize we all want the absolute best, we also, for the most part, know to live within our means and only do what we can afford.

After looking at your venue (ceremony and reception) cost and photographer costs, you've pretty much already outdone my budget. .  try cutting down some and do a lot of DIY. There are great boards on TK that can help you out, but for the sake of your FI PLEASEEEE get rid of the donation.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I guess he's edited to take that out, because I don't see it. And this:

[QUOTE]Since when did TK start letting people beg for money on these boards.[/QUOTE]

is a ridic thing to say, because TK can't do anything about it UNTIL he posts it, then Sarah can contact him to take that part off or she can delete it. TK doesn't let people beg for money, but theren's nothing we can do until it actually happens.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_proposed-fiancee?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:d9b87080-000b-4d36-8d67-e367c496a66dPost:c2e16b61-34a2-4bae-91a5-386fffef140a">Re: My special surprise proposal!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I guess he's edited to take that out, because I don't see it. And this: is a ridic thing to say, because TK can't do anything about it UNTIL he posts it, then Sarah can contact him to take that part off or she can delete it. TK doesn't let people beg for money, but theren's nothing we can do until it actually happens.
    Posted by mwhitson14[/QUOTE]

Yes, he did delete the part in his post where he was asking for donations and sponsors to pay. He also deleted the bio which also asked for people to donate money to pay for wedding and sponsors for their wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards