Getting in Shape

Expensive veggies

This is the time of year when my wallet starts to complain again - i.e. if I stay on the track I chose during the wonderful Summer months. Have you noticed this too; come late Fall and early Winter, veggie prices go up the roof? Sucks. 

Do you have some tips and tricks to share on how to prevent this from happening? There's no farmer's market close to where I live, so I head to the grocery store all year.

Re: Expensive veggies

• During the summer I was able to get by on 80$ a month for fruits and vegetables, sometimes less. My grocery budget was SO small. I tried to plan ahead and freeze things but I wasnt able to do a ton. I really miss having fresh local broccoli all the time :(
  • I'd say get frequent shopper's cards for all the grocery stores in your area, get the circulars to see which ones have the best prices on the veggies you're looking for, and then buy those veggies that are on sale each week.   It takes a little extra effort, but it does help save a little bit of money.  If you only have 1 store in the area, stick only to those that are on sale each time you go.  It might mean sacrificing your favorite vegetables every once in a while, or branching out and trying stuff you haven't had before, but at least you save a little!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Closed on our house 4-15-11!
  • edited November 2009
    Buying in bulk usually helps.  Some pacakges have several onions, peppers or tomatoes, etc.  I plan meals that use up the veggies so I can buy the larger packs and make the vegetables last at a lower cost.

I also use frozen vegetables or fruits where I can - being cheaper and lasting longer usually helps with cost.
  • in genral I think eating healthy always costs more.  Veggies and Fruit cost so much more than cheap junk food..
  • I would try buying in bulk like some of the other posters mentioned, but honestly I just go to the grocery store and buy what is on sale. Its fun to get something I have NEVER heard of, and look online for recipes and how to cook it. Sometimes it's a disaster I admit, but I have also found some of my very favorite veggies this way! Try lots of squashes for the fall/winter time... they are ususally on sale and are fairly big (depending on the squash) so they last for a couple of meals. I LOVE spaghetti squash and buternut squash... Yum!!
  • Thanks for your comments! It's not like I didn't know all that already, I just had to be reminded again. It's too easy to fall into one track and cook one type of things over and over, especially if your oven isn't working and such.

So, it's Monday again, new week has begun (yes, it begins on Mondays :P) and I'll check the offers out right now; haven't done it in a while and can't wait. Have you noticed how important it is to reclaim that excitement about fresh, lovely food once in a while?
  • You can try buying more of the veggies that are in season.  Turnips, squash, parsnips, etc.  My grocery store had huge tubs of squash this weekend. You can make great stews with all of these, and stews are great winter comfort food.

I also tend to buy more frozen veggies in the winter.  Nutritionally, there's not much difference between frozen and fresh, so I try to make do.

You could also pick one vegetable that you will splurge on each week and buy fresh, so you don't feel like you're missing out.

• Is there a co-op in your area?  Around here there are a few co-ops that you can join and pick how many pounds of fresh produce you want per week.  It's all organic and a lot less expensive than buying in a store, because it's straight from the farmers.  You don't get to pick your veggies, but as a pp said, it's a bit of an adventure to figure out what to do with new foods.  I've wanted to do it, but am out of town so often, it doesn't make sense-so much would go to waste.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards