Hawaii

DIY florals and centrepieces

cryssvcryssv member
First Comment
Has anyone else attempted to do their own bouquet and centrepieces for the AHR? I've never done anything like this before and wondering if I might be setting myself up for a train wreck or if it is as easy as it sounds? Anyone have any great tips out there? In talking to friends who have had weddings here or florists pricing I could pay up to an extra $500 to $1000 just to have a professional do it for me.
451x156 proportions
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: DIY florals and centrepieces

• edited December 2011
    I DIY arrangements for myself every week! I live down the street from a wholesaler, so it's dirt cheap.

Having said that, I don't know that what I do looks any good. My Dad does it all the time, but it's a hobby for him. I'm totally a novice.

So, I guess first you need to practice. Lots. A co-worker of mine and I just did the arrangements for our principal's retirement dinner, and it was a labor intensive 4 hours... and they were really simple arrangements too! I think the hardest part is figuring out how to get the shape you want the arrangement to look like... and then how to get the flowers to make that shape.

Maybe get some books out of the library? I'm sure there are lots in there.
  • AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    More power to you if you can DIY!  I personally am the least crafty person I know so anything I try to do just comes out - eh.  I have heard of a lot of girls doing in themselves but it is always a much, much bigger job then they had planned. 
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • aliblualiblu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Im doing my own AHR centerpieces as well, hopefully things will go well, but I went to like Hobby Lobby and got the fake versions of my flowers to practice, and see what I liked first. Probably, closer to time, I am going to get the real flower versions and try again. =)
    AliBlu | 6.8.2011 | My Bio-Updated 3/3
    Visit Maui.Weddings.com Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • cryssvcryssv member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OOOH that's a brilliant idea - I think I'll try that as well. Are you doing your own bouquet too? I'm having a florist do my bouquet in Maui as part of my package but for the AHR I'm just gonna be tossing it so I figured I'd give that one a go............. if you've done any experimenting in that dept let me know.

Are you using any sort of floral foams or any other equipment out there that I'm unaware of? I like that natural hand tied look but for all I know there could be all sorts of goodies hidden in there to make it look that way.

I'm gonna take Kaesha's advice and take some books outta the library as well then will be hitting up Michaels to get some stuff to  practice, practice, practice............ this sounds like a job for a bottle of wine and a couple of girly-friends LOL 
    451x156 proportions
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards