Illinois-Chicago

Poll: Wedding budgets

A few recent posts on this board and others have gotten me thinking about what people are actually spending on weddings in the Chicago area. I know many ladies don't like to advertise their budgets, so I figured an anonymous poll might be a good way to get a sense of it!

Not including the honeymoon, but including everything else (rehearsal dinner, ceremony, wedding bands, reception), what are you planning on spending (or what did you spend) on your wedding? If you aren't sure about the cost of some things because someone else is paying, just estimate.
imageimage
BFP on Jan. 18; EDD Oct. 1
EDD Oct. 1image

Re: Poll: Wedding budgets

• edited December 2011
    Great post, Linds! I'm not sure why people are sensitive about their wedding budget but sometimes I wish there was a Chicago Budget Board!
  • HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was wondering about this myself a couple days ago.  Thanks for posting this!! 
  • amylulichamylulich member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for this post! This is especially helpful for me as I'm just getting an idea of how much things cost and what my budget is going to be!
  • barryterbarryter member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This survey is great! 

I think sometimes we're under the impression that weddings cost more than a luxury car. My parents are helping me pay for the wedding, but in retrospect (traditions aside), think of your parents/friends giving you that money to put down on a nice condo! I'd like to think that way, but I'm a pretty traditional gal.

I think prices are way too high for the economic state and that's why most businesses are hurting. I'm finding that most places in this city set a 10k-25k minimum and what the hell does that mean!? That's crazy!

I feel like venues/caterers/photags, etc are still under the impression that no matter what the price, brides will pay for it. I think in order for vendors to survive and have staying power, they need to quit with these so called "minimums" and see what they can offer for your budget instead of passing and waiting for that BIG BUY to happen. A profit is a profit.

In this recession, brides are looking for shortcuts & getting savvy to cut prices. If more places/vendors were realistic with their prices in this economy, I'd be more willing to get those extra linens, fancy flowers, bigger photo package and filet mignon=)

Thanks for hearing me vent! lol!
  • MbowskiMbowski member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    great idea...it would also be helpful if this could somehow be coordinated with size of wedding/reception, or price per person...
  • raeynraeyn member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm glad so many people found this helpful. I certainly found it interesting that the results were pretty evenly spread across most price ranges!
    imageimage
    BFP on Jan. 18; EDD Oct. 1
    EDD Oct. 1image
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks, we had one of these on my date board, and it all seemed really low to me, so its great to see what others in the same area are spending!
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with you barryter!  The vendors know that brides will pay to get what they want, so most of them aren't willing to adjust because of the recession.  
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for posting this. I agree everything is costing waaaay too much for us and we are charging a lot of it. It helps to prioritize what is important and try to negotiate.
  • cressett7cressett7 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    This is a great poll!!  When my FI and I started the whole planning process, I wasn't sure if I would be good at discussing prices with vendors.  Turns out.. I'm quite the negotiator!     Laughing

I do agree with you guys though.. some of the prices are just plain ridiculous!  My FSIL recently asked how much our photographer cost and when I gave her the total, she almost fell out of her chair. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards