New York-Western
Options

Alteration prices?

I was just wondering, I went to my first tailor appt today in Williamsville to figure out what needs to be altered (apprx two months prior to the wedding) and when she told me how much it was I was a bit shocked, two hems around the bottom (chiffon layer and a silky fabric layer) and then a small bustle in the back.  She first charged $150 and I asked her about it and apparently she thought the third shortest layer needed to be hemmed and couldn't justify it so she took it down to $125.  But is that average for that amount of work?  I know they have to take the time to stitch, steam it when it's done, all the labor involved.  Am I just being cheap? lol.  I'd really appreciate any input!

Re: Alteration prices?

• Options
    MrsPawlak2BMrsPawlak2B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I paid about $300 for my bustle and hems.
    8/6/11 ~ Happily Ever After!
  • Options
    AeroStyleAeroStyle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My dress was very big (by 4 sizes) so I had it taken in all around, shortened, the bust taken in & bustle for 275.
  • Options
    Aquarian342Aquarian342 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ok I guess I don't feel so bad haha.  Ohh that price included letting out the seam a tiny bit on the sides around my ribs cuz it's slightly tight.  I suppose I should be happy with that :)  She said I can pay when I pick it up so I will see how it all looks.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    where did you ladies get your alterations done?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    AeroStyleAeroStyle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine are being done at MA Carr. She's great!
  • Options
    degreadegrea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine were done at MA Carr as well and it was 250, for bustle, taken in at the boobies, raise the skirt. You could hem it because of the detail at the bottom.

I think for everything you are getting done it sounds like a fair price.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. - Unknown Why is electricity so expensive these days? Why does it cost so much for something I can make with a balloon and my hair? - Dennis Miller
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    will MA Carr do alterations for a dress bought from a different place?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm curious about this as well... I need an extremely highly recommended tailor for my dress.  I'm super picky.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't post on WNY board much, but I have to say those prices are INSANE!!!!

I live near Syracuse and had my dress done for $50.  I had the top taken in (extremely complicated beadwork, btw), cups added and a 3 point bustle done.

The bridal salon I purchased the dress from wanted over $100 for the bustle alone.  pfffff.  If you are anywhere near Syracuse, it might be worth checking out Mary Golden.  She has done alterations for several of the girls on the CNY board, including mine, as well as 3 of my BMs dresses (all for less than $20... hems, straps, taking in, etc). 

ETA:  all dresses were steamed, too, before pickup.
    Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
    Online Garage Sale
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    monica & kevin married 5.28.11
    bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
    bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Aquarian342Aquarian342 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-western_alteration-prices?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:622Discussion:8b0bf04b-9c6e-4540-87bf-12f199c95a73Post:6ed0681d-dc68-4f49-84bd-c324adf0f456">Re: Alteration prices?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't post on WNY board much, but I have to say those prices are INSANE!!!! I live near Syracuse and had my dress done for $50.  I had the top taken in (extremely complicated beadwork, btw), cups added and a 3 point bustle done. The bridal salon I purchased the dress from wanted over $100 for the bustle alone.  pfffff.  If you are anywhere near Syracuse, it might be worth checking out Mary Golden.  She has done alterations for several of the girls on the CNY board, including mine, as well as 3 of my BMs dresses (all for less than $20... hems, straps, taking in, etc).  ETA:  all dresses were steamed, too, before pickup.
    Posted by kevinandmonica2011[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Ok well this may just be one person...I know it depends on where you go and what scale of tailor you go to.  If they're associated with a bridal shop I think they tend to be more expensive out of convenience prob; would everybody agree?  </div><div>
    </div><div>Anyway, I was a bit shocked at the price but I guess compared to the consensus it really is about average.  I went to Alterations by Lena on Main Street in Williamsville.  They're super busy there so I think that's a good sign; however, they prob charge a bit more cuz they can.

</div>
  • Options
    cutypy0516cutypy0516 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think the prices are higher because of convenience, I think it's because of experience.  They may sew 300 bridal gowns a year versus just a regular tailor who may do 10.  I would figure a bridal shop would have more knowledge on the current trends in bridalware and know how to alter them properly.  I wouldn't mind going to a tailor to get my pants hemmed, but I'm not sure that I  would trust them with my wedding gowns.  I would opt to spend more to make sure it is done correctly.  On the other hand, this is just my opinion because I didn't need anything except a bustle on my dress, so I didn't really have to go through all that.
    Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but the amount of moments that take you breath away. - Anon
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards