Wedding Etiquette Forum

Is it evening yet?

13»

Re: Is it evening yet?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_is-it-evening-yet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:84743ca1-317b-469f-b03e-f0eb19b2b092Post:3705a23d-68bc-4e25-9a37-0a8cdc48903b">Re: Is it evening yet?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Forgive my ignorance, but what is a capstone class? I am not required to take one.
    Posted by specialk84[/QUOTE]

It's usually a class you take your senior year to pull everything together from your major.  Like a senior thesis.
  • LoopysevenLoopyseven member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2012
    It's a small class that is supposed to be a culmination of your major course of study.  It usually involved a big project that brought into play pieces of a bunch of areas of study within your major.  I was a finance major and had to do a corporate analysis including marketing plans and a bunch of other stuff of a major corporation.  It resulted in a 35+ page paper and a class presentation.

ETA: I think mine was on whether an acquisition (that actually happened aroudn the time I was in college) was a sound business move and why.  I think it was McDonald's Corp buying Boston Market or something.  I don't really remember.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_is-it-evening-yet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:84743ca1-317b-469f-b03e-f0eb19b2b092Post:71809980-ec06-40e1-9d7a-b5a12a4e754b">Re: Is it evening yet?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So sad Raes - hope he's okay and doesn't need surgery. MuSu - My dad called a whole mess of people at my university when I didn't get into my capstone class my last semester.  They tried to tell me all capstones that would apply to my major were full and they weren't opening up any more sessions that semester.  My dad went apeshit about how they couldn't delay my graduation or expect to receive a whole nother semesters worth of tuition and fees due to their poor planning and not having enough capstone classes offered.  (I knew a few others that happened too also) I'm not sure what he did but within 24 hours they'd found a space in a class that would work for me.
    Posted by Loopyseven[/QUOTE]

Haha, good for your dad! Universities can be such asswipes. J took a "college writing" class in his first year of school, since almost every school in the country requires it, right? Well after transferring to this university, they wouldn't accept it to transfer to their "college writing" credit. Even though we filled out the appeal form AND provided a paper he wrote from that class (that he miraculously still had a copy of, along with the syllabus). The syllabus description from both classes is virtually the same. The writing dept said no because they want a full YEAR instead of a semester to qualify for their semester class. EVEN THOUGH -- get this -- the "Hub" campus (twin cities) accepts the one class from this other college, and is more selective than J's campus. That logic is assbackward, why would the harder to get into campus accept the credit but not the other campus?

That being said, the head of the entire science & engineering college supports J as well, and my mom (who works in admin at the university) went crazy when she found out and insisted that we write to the president since it directly contradicts their supposed mission to get people to graduate on time.
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2012
    H had to sweet talk the head of the English department into letting him take an already booked class to fulfill his literature requirement for college.  He laughs about it still.  I swear, the amount of work he did to do as little college as possible was impressive.
  • With all the talk about helicopter parents now, I hesitated to put down that my dad called the university for me.. but I was getting nowhere LOL.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_is-it-evening-yet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:84743ca1-317b-469f-b03e-f0eb19b2b092Post:2cae29da-1d00-4d4c-be3a-fa7db37ae950">Re: Is it evening yet?</a>:
    [QUOTE]With all the talk about helicopter parents now, I hesitated to put down that my dad called the university for me.. but I was getting nowhere LOL.

Meh, I've had my parents do similar things for me before too in college. It got me out of having to pay for half of a study abroad program when I wasn't able to go in the end.
  • I'm so glad all my school days are behind me.
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker
  • I got into a wine tutorial in college (yes a class devoted to wine.. best class ever) because the prof knew my dad.  He wasn't going to let me in until he found out my name.
  • I worked in the math department for a community college. You'd be shocked at how many parents called on behalf of their children. The parents were usually pissed off and out for blood. In most cases, their children had misrepresented or flat-out lied about the circumstances and were rarely blameless victims of bureaucracy.

The professors got really good at documenting all sorts of things.
  • I totally believe that students will skew facts when complaining to parents. I had a situation that totally fucked me over gradewise in one of my ASL classes, but not even my dept head or my advisor could convince my fuckhead of a professor to change his mind.

That being said, J's situation is totally bullshit. It is some old lady in the writing department that gets her rocks off by pulling the power card.
  • In most cases, I think it's best to let the student fight his or her own battles. However, there are instances where they might clearly be in over their heads or be in a situation where it makes sense to have a parent get involved (like Loopy's dad).
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_is-it-evening-yet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:84743ca1-317b-469f-b03e-f0eb19b2b092Post:df88acc3-1e8c-438f-a07c-4ff2cc8bea60">Re: Is it evening yet?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I got into a wine tutorial in college (yes a class devoted to wine.. best class ever) because the prof knew my dad.  He wasn't going to let me in until he found out my name.
    Posted by chelseamb11[/QUOTE]

The local community college here has a viticulture program, which is pretty awesome. Makes sense though, considering there are about 150 wineries in our region so it's a huge industry.
  • I still get a little rageful when I think about how I got shiit on. It is probably why I am so riled up about J's situation.
  • It'd be cool to take a viniculture class of some sort some time.
  • I wish there was a wine course when I was in college.  The closest thing I can think of was a 0.5 credit class that taught people how to behave at recruiting meals (when to use what cutlery, all random niceties that are necessary in the i-banking/consulting world).  I didn't really feel that I needed to take that course.

One of these days, I need to sign up for a wine appreciation class.  I mean, I already appreciate it, but I'd like to appreciate it more.  ;)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_is-it-evening-yet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:84743ca1-317b-469f-b03e-f0eb19b2b092Post:aad1a385-8c38-4d2b-91e4-1db37bb033c1">Re: Is it evening yet?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It'd be cool to take a viniculture class of some sort some time.

it was really cool.  I learned so much about wine: how to produce it, how regions can affect its taste, what foods to pair with which wines, how to pick up on scents/tastes/etc.  it made me feel so classy ;)
  • edited April 2012
    So, Chelsea, when are you coming over?

ETA: Please bring booze.
  • I think there was a wine tasting type class when I was in school too. I didn't turn 21 til my senior year though and by then had too much else to take to finish up, hah.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_is-it-evening-yet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:84743ca1-317b-469f-b03e-f0eb19b2b092Post:97b06c90-09e9-453e-9698-965467a5c8ce">Re: Is it evening yet?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So, Chelsea, when are you coming over? ETA: Please bring booze.

Whenever you pay for my plane ticket ;)

Or when I convince FI to drive from WI down to NOLA (with a stop in OH to see some people). 
  • This isn't just a class, it's a degree program http://www.flcc.edu/academics/viticulture/index.cfm
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_is-it-evening-yet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:84743ca1-317b-469f-b03e-f0eb19b2b092Post:97b06c90-09e9-453e-9698-965467a5c8ce">Re: Is it evening yet?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So, Chelsea, when are you coming over? ETA: Please bring <strong>WINE</strong>
    Posted by specialk84[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>FTFY</div>
  • When my sister was at UC Davis, I really really wanted her to study viticulture and enology.  She didn't take my advice.  Boo.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_is-it-evening-yet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:84743ca1-317b-469f-b03e-f0eb19b2b092Post:027f6a8e-2e62-430b-8a0e-87ffa2a81fff">Re: Is it evening yet?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is it evening yet? : FTFY

<div>I am an equal opportunity alcohol enthusiast. I don't discriminate.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_is-it-evening-yet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:84743ca1-317b-469f-b03e-f0eb19b2b092Post:022438b6-29cd-43c3-b141-b1a9c827b715">Re: Is it evening yet?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is it evening yet? : I am an equal opportunity alcohol enthusiast. I don't discriminate.

<div>Truer words have never been said.  </div>
  • chelseamb11chelseamb11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_is-it-evening-yet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:84743ca1-317b-469f-b03e-f0eb19b2b092Post:022438b6-29cd-43c3-b141-b1a9c827b715">Re: Is it evening yet?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is it evening yet? : I am an equal opportunity alcohol enthusiast. I don't discriminate.

:)
  • Wow.. rock night on DWTS.  I don't usually watch this show, but wow.. some of these outfits are crazy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards