• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
January 2011 Weddings

First look

What's your verdict on them?  Will you be doing one?  Why or why not?

I'm really conflicted.  FI doesn't have an opinion on it yet.  I love the idea of having that personal moment just the two of us and I love the pictures that come from it.  But I also love the idea/tradition of the first time we see each other on our wedding day being at the aisle.   So I want to know what everyone else thinks about them.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: First look

• I asked FI about it and he said he wanted the first time he saw me to be when I came down the aisle, he doesn't have opinions on much so when he does I try to let him have his way. It didn't matter one way or the other to me.

• we're doing one after a lot of debate. My FI wanted that first reaction of me coming down the aisle. But then we started thinking. If we wait for all that emotion during the real deal we're gonna be sniffling and possibly keeping emotions in because of everyone there. So we're doing the first look privately with the photographer and we're exchanging our gifts then too. I know we'll still have emotions when I walk down the aisle still because it's the big moment and I'm sure I'll cry cause of leaving my dad. Sorry that was kinda long
    "I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." Walt Disney Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Of course, my photographer will take pictures of our faces as we walk down the aisle, but my photographer told me that a first look is more personal. As a January bride, my church is set in the woods. So, FI and I will take pictures behind some pine trees. He will be in the front and I will be in the distance... then, the pictures will get closer, etc. My photographer loved the idea. The pictures come out awesome that way...they are more personal too. A little piece to show how much love you two have for each other. GL in your decisions!

• We are definitely doing a first look...we had already decided on this, and then our photographer loved us for it because she's a huge proponent for it.  The idea of seeing each other for the first time when walking down the aisle is magical, BUT you can't really even touch each other!! All those emotions have to be bottled up and saved for after you get to the back of the aisle after you're married.  A first look really gives you both the chance to hug each other, tell each other how handsome/beautiful the other looks, and just be together!! It also gives a chance for a lot of tears to escape, then be touched up before the ceremony ;). SOO many great pictures of the couple can be taken before the ceremony, which gets you to your party sooner. We are ALSO doing it because we are having an evening ceremony, therefore all daylight will be gone by the time we would "see" each other if we didn't do a first look. Whew. The list goes on and on. I never thought I wanted to do it (I tend to be very traditional), but logistically and the more I thought about it I'm all for it! We still get "that moment" but privately!!!
  • We will not be doing a first look, i am a traditionalist when it comes to things like that.  I want the first look to be seeing him at the end of the aisle. We have time inbetween the ceremony and reception where we will be taking our pictures together. I think we will be getting enough good shots during that; that i won't miss the first look pictures.
    Good Luck with whatever decision you make.
  • I'm with madibelle on this.  Not doing the first look.  It depends on the bride and groom also.  I know one bride who will be doing the first look and then taking photographs because she knows she'll be too nervous to eat before the ceremony but she'll be cranky after the ceremony because she didn't eat and she didn't want her pictures to reflect it.
    Anniversary
  • We aren't I already talked to FI about this and he wants to see me down the asle and have that moment! Plus i am pretty traditional. But i do like the idea of it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_january-2011-weddings_first-look?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:641Discussion:75265a05-bc87-4bb3-a2a3-3cf339e14b9ePost:076398f7-943e-4273-9005-eeb80d8da97f">Re: First look</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are definitely doing a first look...we had already decided on this, and then our photographer loved us for it because she's a huge proponent for it.  The idea of seeing each other for the first time when walking down the aisle is magical, BUT you can't really even touch each other!! All those emotions have to be bottled up and saved for after you get to the back of the aisle after you're married.  A first look really gives you both the chance to hug each other, tell each other how handsome/beautiful the other looks, and just be together!! It also gives a chance for a lot of tears to escape, then be touched up before the ceremony ;). SOO many great pictures of the couple can be taken before the ceremony, which gets you to your party sooner. We are ALSO doing it because we are having an evening ceremony, therefore all daylight will be gone by the time we would "see" each other if we didn't do a first look. Whew. The list goes on and on. I never thought I wanted to do it (I tend to be very traditional), but logistically and the more I thought about it I'm all for it! We still get "that moment" but privately!!!
    Posted by schwoebr[/QUOTE]

These are all the reasons I want it.  I talked with FI a little this afternoon and he's like "let's go for it" I'm not sure if things will change, but I'm happy about the choice! He said he won't miss the "tradition" of waiting until the ceremony to see me, so I think it's a good idea for us to do it.  I've read some posts about people who have done it and lot say it doesn't change the way you feel walking down the aisle.  I love some of the first look pics I've seen--they are some of the best wedding pictures I've seen!  I'll have to talk to our photographer and see what she thinks, but I'm guessing she'll love it, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are having a 6:30pm ceremony, so to wait until then to see my groom would kill me. I'll take 4pm over 6:30pm! It also pushes back how late we will arrive to the already late reception! I don't want people to be waiting forever for us to arrive. It's also really the daylight thing.
  • has everyone seen the movie 27 dresses? the main characters' favorite part of a wedding is the look on the grooms face when he sees his bride walking down the aisle.  that is one reason why i don't want a first look.  i want that raw emotion. plus, i'm really traditional.
    image Anniversary
  • We had tenatively planned with the photographer to have a first look which I'd love to have, but my mom is suddenly getting all paranoid about other people/guests possibly seeing me before the ceremony. With the timeline of when we can get into our venue, when the photographer wants to take pics before the ceremony, and when the ceremony, it makes it a little too close for comfort I guess. So... still ultimately undecided.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic March Siggy Challenge Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We are definitely doing a first look. First, because of logistics. I really want to get as many pictures done before the ceremony as possible.  Second, because I know I'll be freaking out that day and FI will be able to calm me down.  Third, because he was totally ok with it and agreed it was the best possible plan.  If he had not wanted to do it, I wouldn't have. 

Also, we are doing the first look in the church.  He will be at the altar and I will walk down the aisle.   I like the idea that its just like during the ceremony but without all the people....which is what they day is about anyway, him and me.  
    Jan 2011 January SC- Wedding Rings
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
    396 were invited image
    250 will be there!image
    146 are missing outimage
    0 are still thinkingimage
    RSVP Date: December 15th
  • aperitisa that is such a cool idea!  I've never actually seen them done in the church!  You'll have to share once you get those back :)

And I agree, if my FI had not wanted it, then it would have been a no.   But he told me he has no strong feelings for the tradition of the aisle being the first time he sees me.  And he is very much the person that calms me down when I'm freaking out so I think overall it's the best choice for us.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ours will be in the church too!!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_january-2011-weddings_first-look?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:641Discussion:75265a05-bc87-4bb3-a2a3-3cf339e14b9ePost:96a23583-adc0-4a69-b05a-4b7b8e0b9e41">Re: First look</a>:
    [QUOTE]aperitisa that is such a cool idea!  I've never actually seen them done in the church!  You'll have to share once you get those back :) And I agree, if my FI had not wanted it, then it would have been a no .    But he told me he has no strong feelings for the tradition of the aisle being the first time he sees me.  And he is very much the person that calms me down when I'm freaking out so I think overall it's the best choice for us.
    Posted by debbies44[/QUOTE]

<div>Yeah I'm kind of excited about it!</div>
    Jan 2011 January SC- Wedding Rings
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
    396 were invited image
    250 will be there!image
    146 are missing outimage
    0 are still thinkingimage
    RSVP Date: December 15th
  • My photographer recommended the First look to me and my FI. However, at that moment when he asked us... we both looked at eachother and said "No". We talked about it afterwards and decided that it wasn't for us. Our ceremony is at 6pm and in NJ it wil already be dark here by then. We chose a late reception because we have a hectic day that day and I would rather have more then enough time to get ready. Having a first look would mean that I would have to get everything done earlier then expected.
    Anniversary
  • I have gone back and forth on this. My fiance is very traditional and has said no way, but if we talked about it more, I could see us considering it.

At the same time, one of the things I'm most excited about is walking into the church and having my fiance see me there for the very first time.

It's a tough decision!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_january-2011-weddings_first-look?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:641Discussion:75265a05-bc87-4bb3-a2a3-3cf339e14b9ePost:4d4a7148-58aa-4cfe-a469-14171588f4d0">Re: First look</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are definitely doing a first look. First, because of logistics. I really want to get as many pictures done before the ceremony as possible.  Second, because I know I'll be freaking out that day and FI will be able to calm me down.  Third, because he was totally ok with it and agreed it was the best possible plan.  If he had not wanted to do it, I wouldn't have.  <strong>Also, we are doing the first look in the church.  He will be at the altar and I will walk down the aisle</strong>.   I like the idea that its just like during the ceremony but without all the people....which is what they day is about anyway, him and me.  
    Posted by aperitisa[/QUOTE]

We're doing this also! He will be standing at the altar standing with his back towards me and I will walk down the aisle, then he's going to turn and face me. I think it'll get some great pictures!

We decided to do the first look just to have that intimate moment between the two of us for the reasons mentioned previously. I can't wait to see the look on his face when he sees me for the first time & I can't wait to see how handsome he looks in a tuxedo :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    January 2011 Siggy Challenge: Inspiration Bouquet
  • I think we are leaning towards it. I think there is something VERY romantic about it. I'm also thinking about not having EVERYTHING ready just the way I walk down the aisle. I may have my wrap covering me...or not have my veil...something that will be different. However, the idea of it is so sweet to me so...I dunno
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    January-January Siggy Challenge "Wedding Bands"
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    167 Invited image 147 Ready to pary image 20 Missing the fun image 0 Slacking on responding image RSVP Date: December 1st, 2010
  • Short and sweet, we want the first time we see each other to be coming down the aisle! 

save the date
    "Here we stand from two distant lands, brought together by His hand" <3 my Aussie <BR>
  • We are doing a first look. Here is the reasoning:

I want to have some quiet time with him before all our guests join us. I hear that the wedding day is hectic and so crazy. I need a moment of quiet with just him before we walk down the aisle. :-) He will calm any nerves I have.

It will save the delay between ceremony and reception. I don't want my guests waiting forever to eat diinner because of pictures. We will be able to get most of the pictures done ahead of the wedding ceremony.

My photographer also said that it is a huge relief to all parties involved when couples do a first look. We made our decision before we talked to her - she was just very thankful we made the decision we did.

Our plan for the first look: My fiance will have his back to the door. My dad will walk me in and give my hand to my fiance. Then dad will leave so we can have a few minutes to ourselves. :-)
  • Loving poeple's shoes btw! aleighk's feathers & twoitalians heal pattern especially!

save the date
    "Here we stand from two distant lands, brought together by His hand" <3 my Aussie <BR>
  • I want the first look to be when I walk down the aisle. This is actually a mutual decision. HOWEVER, I am insisting that my photographer be focused on my FI's face as soon as I come into the Church. I want that look to be captured on camera. Laughing

• Angela, that is perfect :)

save the date
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards