Christian Weddings

Bible study group...kinda long

So I have been going to a girls bible study started by a girl from high school. My MOH introduced me to it and I have been attending because I need to interact with others outside of work and family. But right now, I don't like what they are doing in it. It's nothing biblically wrong with it. I just don't like that they are covering a certian topic with a lot of verses instead of going through one book at a time. Some of the verses, I feel get taken too much out of context and I feel like sometimes I get looked at strangly because I have some different ideas on what the bible verses mean. Recently I have become very uncomfertable with what's going on. Again it's nothing bad that they are doing. I don't know if it's just me and I should ignore it or if I should say something or if I should just leave the bible study all together. I'm really confused.

WR: Yes, we did get a photographer and a lady from my church has offered to cater the wedding for only the cost of the food (about $200). I am excited to theses checks finally out of the way.Smile
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Bible study group...kinda long

• edited December 2011
    I also prefer Bible Study groups that take it a book or a few chapters at a time as opposed to taking a topic and then finding verses.  We did a study of Romans a few years ago, and we also did a study of 1st John.  I've also done a study of Revelation (now THAT takes a lot of time!).  If you prefer the book/chapter approach versus the topic approach, AND you feel like you want to stay with this Bible study group, then tell them that (and suggest a place to start as well... I don't like getting criticism but no information on what else I can do, etc.).  The one question to think about is about the fellowship -- we need fellowship with other Christians (in person, HAHA!), and even if you're not totally sold on the style of the Bible study, maybe you could contribute more context and larger chunks of verses so that you still have the fellowship, and maybe they'll understand your point of view better?  Sometimes having the dialogue with people of the same system of belief is more productive, even if you disagree at first, than not having it.  

WOOO on the photographer and food checks!! :-) 
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • edited December 2011
    I like that, too. Context is so important, and if you try to do just bits and pieces here and there, something inevitable gets lost in translation.

Unfortunately, I am in terrible need of a small group and haven't been abe to find one since moving back home. I could probably join in one at my church, but everyone is much older than me and I don't really enjoy them. Coming from someone who is sorely lacking in fellowship right now, I would say ride this one out until things go back to normal, and just enjoy the conversations for now. Smile Apparently, a good small group is hard to find!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • tyboydtyboyd member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ok, I have a thought....

Maybe they aren't going through a lot of verses at one time because to really get all of the background history, as a whole, you'd really have to start from Genesis. They might not want the Bible to be read like a big story book {which it kind of is.} I think some people pick topics because it can meet people where they are. If some people in the group are depressed, yall can study depression. If someone is sick and need healing, yall can study scriptures that relate to sickness and healing. Someone might need to know about the power of prayer, so yall would study prayer. If the right person is teaching you guys, then they would have studied the history and content of the scriptures before presenting it to you.

I hope this makes sense.
  • edited December 2011
    I would bring it up with the leader outside of study.  My dad told me once there was no such thing as a bad sermon as long as it's biblical, you can't blame the preacher if you didn't get anything out of it. There are exceptions, but the point is, get what you can out of it (as long they're not actually saying things that contradict other parts of the bible).Given that fellowship is so important I wouldn't give it up until you've found a replacement.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_bible-study-groupkinda-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:49d3d213-5d08-4727-913b-7822f5d5020dPost:6f744f82-5213-4e0a-b3d1-61e43467c825">Re: Bible study group...kinda long</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok, I have a thought.... Maybe they aren't going through a lot of verses at one time because <strong>to really get all of the background history, as a whole, you'd really have to start from Genesis. They might not want the Bible to be read like a big story book {which it kind of is.}</strong> I think some people pick topics because it can meet people where they are. If some people in the group are depressed, yall can study depression. If someone is sick and need healing, yall can study scriptures that relate to sickness and healing. Someone might need to know about the power of prayer, so yall would study prayer. If the right person is teaching you guys, then they would have studied the history and content of the scriptures before presenting it to you. I hope this makes sense.
    Posted by tyboyd[/QUOTE]

There is a book called Bible in 90 days, and it lays out a reading plan to read the bible from Genesis straight thru to Revelation.  There are also discussions and stuff to go with it.  The group I am in is doing this now. 
    200 image 150 image 50 image RSVP Date: March 10th Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • tyboydtyboyd member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_bible-study-groupkinda-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:49d3d213-5d08-4727-913b-7822f5d5020dPost:93ee7636-0d77-43f0-9785-e47b8419c59a">Re: Bible study group...kinda long</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bible study group...kinda long : There is a book called Bible in 90 days, and it lays out a reading plan to read the bible from Genesis straight thru to Revelation.  There are also discussions and stuff to go with it.  The group I am in is doing this now. 
    Posted by sellis128[/QUOTE]

That's great that it has discussions to go along with it. Then once you're done reading the whole bible and have an understanding, I think using topics is good.
  • edited December 2011
    Talk to your MOH if she is still in the group and express your feelings. Maybe they can do things differently. I agree that it is important to have that fellowship, so maybe you guys can work something out. 

PS congrats on the checks! Exciting! 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_bible-study-groupkinda-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:49d3d213-5d08-4727-913b-7822f5d5020dPost:0f543651-681c-4867-9740-a2b33d1e3776">Re: Bible study group...kinda long</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bible study group...kinda long : That's great that it has discussions to go along with it. Then once you're done reading the whole bible and have an understanding, I think using topics is good.
    Posted by tyboyd[/QUOTE]

Yea that's what we are doing. So many people haven't read the whole bible, therefore read scripture out of context. So we figured we'd take care of that first, then go back and study!
    200 image 150 image 50 image RSVP Date: March 10th Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards