Massachusetts

VENUE HELP!

Hi there, i am new to this- as i just recently got engaged!! 
We are trying to find a unique wedding spot anywhere in Massachusetts. My fiancee really likes the outdoorsy feel, a mountain would be his pick! I looked at some of the ski mountains around here, but all of the reception calls kind of seemed... blah. i personally like the barn weddings, so if we could find something that has both that would be great! 

Any help would be great, and we are not just limited to MA If you know of any places in CT or RI that would be great!

THANK YOU!

Re: VENUE HELP!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-western-mass_venue-help-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:619Discussion:213ebed2-f892-4cd4-b9d6-e9e395650d7ePost:88d20535-956b-4f23-86a6-4dcdfeee0823">VENUE HELP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi there, i am new to this- as i just recently got engaged!!  We are trying to find a unique wedding spot anywhere in Massachusetts. My fiancee really likes the outdoorsy feel, a mountain would be his pick! I looked at some of the ski mountains around here, but all of the reception calls kind of seemed... blah. i personally like the barn weddings, so if we could find something that has both that would be great!  Any help would be great, and we are not just limited to MA If you know of any places in CT or RI that would be great! THANK YOU!
    Posted by hsholes[/QUOTE]

<div>I am in your shoes exactly! There is a barn in Putnam, CT that I am visiting next weekend. Its 8500 with no food included. Any barn I look at seems steep. I hate to do traditional.</div>
  • I'm getting married at Salem Cross in W. Brookfield, MA, and my reception is in their barn.  It's on 600 acres, so it's not on a mountain but it is very outdoorsy.  My ceremony will be outside weather permitting.  The pricing is very reasonable.  Webb Barn in Manchester, CT is another option to check out, it is less expensive than the barns at Wesleyan.  Kris, are you talking about Tyrone Farm?  It's beautiful, but that is a lot of money for not including anything! Good luck!!
  • Zukas Hilltop Barn is another place to check out, it's in Spencer, MA.  During the prime wedding season they only do tent weddings, but during Nov-Apr they have weddings inside in their "barn." The inside is rustic, but open and more modern and it isn't shaped like a barn but it has the post and beam feel.  They have a big fireplace inside also!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-western-mass_venue-help-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:619Discussion:213ebed2-f892-4cd4-b9d6-e9e395650d7ePost:d2279b54-4d11-428b-9a07-0412e29b89d2">Re: VENUE HELP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to VENUE HELP! : I am in your shoes exactly! There is a barn in Putnam, CT that I am visiting next weekend. Its 8500 with no food included. Any barn I look at seems steep. I hate to do traditional.
    Posted by krismzack[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This is interesting to me!  Can you tell me where this barn in Putnam, CT is or who the barn belongs to??! </div><div>
    </div><div>I would also add Sturbridge Village to your list of locations.  Barns, taverns, there are SO many places there to get married and totally not traditional.  Zukas is nice as well but, far more traditional IMO.</div><div><div>
    </div></div>
  • Thanks ladies! I wasn't really smitten by the Zukas barn, but Harrington Farm seems beautiful.

What barn in CT? For that amount of money, it must be an epic location and i would love to see why it's so expensive!

I know this may seem a bit traditional- but anyone have any experience with Cranwell Resort in Lenox?
  • Another barn to look into is The Red Barn at Hampshire College - the cost certainly isn't close to the one you're seeing in Putnam and it does have the mountain views.
  • Hi and congrats!

We are getting married 5/4/13 at Butternut Farm in Stow.  It's actually a golf club - which I was DEAD set against when we started looking!!! - but it has a beautiful country feel to it.  The venue itself looks like a big yellow Victorian style house with a farmer's porch that wraps all the way around.  It is gorgeous and affordable!

Good luck with your search! Keep an open mind- I almost didn't even go to look at my venue because it wasn't a barn, but I'm so so so happy that I did. I love it.  Once you get the venue and the date down, everything else will start to fall into place.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-western-mass_venue-help-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:619Discussion:213ebed2-f892-4cd4-b9d6-e9e395650d7ePost:b8b51a45-353f-4499-8083-619e4a64a84f">Re: VENUE HELP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks ladies! I wasn't really smitten by the Zukas barn, but Harrington Farm seems beautiful. What barn in CT? For that amount of money, it must be an epic location and i would love to see why it's so expensive! I know this may seem a bit traditional- but anyone have any experience with Cranwell Resort in Lenox?
    Posted by hsholes[/QUOTE]

<div>The only thing I HATED about Harrington Farm was the location...out in the middle of nowhere and so many people I know get lost.  Wouldn't be that bad if there was some lodging around but there is nothing at all. :(</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-western-mass_venue-help-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:619Discussion:213ebed2-f892-4cd4-b9d6-e9e395650d7ePost:36437522-5937-4a36-a204-cf17ac9d2dfe">Re: VENUE HELP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: VENUE HELP! : This is interesting to me!  Can you tell me where this barn in Putnam, CT is or who the barn belongs to??!  I would also add Sturbridge Village to your list of locations.  Barns, taverns, there are SO many places there to get married and totally not traditional.  Zukas is nice as well but, far more traditional IMO.
    Posted by ascd[/QUOTE]

<div>I would ditto Sturbridge Village - wedding in all the locations are amazing.  Rental for the entire Village is  too reasonable...under 2K.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-western-mass_venue-help-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:619Discussion:213ebed2-f892-4cd4-b9d6-e9e395650d7ePost:6ab33650-71da-4997-883f-6a37b44ce016">Re: VENUE HELP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: VENUE HELP! : The only thing I HATED about Harrington Farm was the location...out in the middle of nowhere and so many people I know get lost.  Wouldn't be that bad if there was some lodging around but there is nothing at all. :(
    Posted by **cantwait**[/QUOTE]

<div>Saw Harrington Farms mentioned and had to comment! I was just there for a wedding in July and it was absolutely beautiful. The bride and groom actualy organized a bus that took us to and from the hotel to the reception there. Definitely something to consider to avoid time spent getting lost etc. If my fiance and I weren't from the tri-state area I would have definitely considered Harrington Farm for our venue!</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-western-mass_venue-help-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:619Discussion:213ebed2-f892-4cd4-b9d6-e9e395650d7ePost:77153d9d-51bb-42bd-b5fe-d205748bb224">Re: VENUE HELP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Another barn to look into is The Red Barn at Hampshire College - the cost certainly isn't close to the one you're seeing in Putnam and it does have the mountain views.
    Posted by xctennis[/QUOTE]

How much does it cost to use the Red Barn at Hamphire college?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Here is the barn in Putnam, CT  http://www.tyronefarm.com/

It is way expensive- you have to provide tables, chairs, linens, food etc etc. It is just a shell.

After I posted here I had a suggestion of Zukes, but they are all booked up for 2013 except for a couple of days. 

I just saw Harrington in a Bridal Magazine and explored that avenue..but it can also get really expensive..and far out in the middle of no where..but my dream wedding sight.

I just booked the River Room in Mystic, CT. It is rustic, post and beam that is close to what we want and a little more affordable. Not thrilled about the daytime wedding on Sunday but my fiance likes that idea. Compromise!! :)
  • Ahh - Tyrone.  Yes, very nice but nothing is included.  It's actually in Pomfret, CT.
  • Has anyone heard of/been to Mount Hope Farm in Bristol, RI? 
  • Try the Warfield House Inn on Route 2 in Charlemont! There is a barn AND mountain views - and the staff is incredible!

Good luck!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-western-mass_venue-help-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:619Discussion:213ebed2-f892-4cd4-b9d6-e9e395650d7ePost:9e55dfeb-612c-4309-a53d-29cd83c2c41d">Re: VENUE HELP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: VENUE HELP! : How much does it cost to use the Red Barn at Hamphire college?
    Posted by arendiva[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Not sure what it costs for the Red Barn, but I know you have to do catering through them.  Here is their site with more info and contacts.</div><div>
    </div><div><a href="http://www.hampshire.edu/specialprograms/2807.htm" rel="nofollow">http://www.hampshire.edu/specialprograms/2807.htm</a></div>
  • This Farm is located in the Berkshires in Western MA. Weddings can be held in the barn or outside. Views of Mt Greylock and incredible sunsets.My daughter got married here and it was truly something out of a fairytale. The rates range between $2,000-$6,000 depending on accommodations. For more details email info@berkshirestorybookfarm.com

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards